Data point installation question

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my fibre modem and router is currently in my kitchen where the data point is. I actually have a point in my living room. But when the starhub person came he said the signal is weak meaning I can't put my fibre modem/router at the living room.

I have checked with SH and they will be charging me 82.10 and 120+ to fix up the data point in the living room.

2 questions I have for any bros with similar experience.

1) Is the cost reasonable? Are there any other external contractors who provide the same service for a lower fee?

2) How much to install a data point in my bedroom?

TIA!

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my fibre modem and router is currently in my kitchen where the data point is. I actually have a point in my living room. But when the starhub person came he said the signal is weak meaning I can't put my fibre modem/router at the living room.

I have checked with SH and they will be charging me 82.10 and 120+ to fix up the data point in the living room.

1) Is the cost reasonable? Are there any other external contractors who provide the same service for a lower fee?

TIA!

How old is your fibre termination point and data point installation ? Usually LAN cable don't degrade that fast to require a replacement.

Have you tested yourself to see if the signal is indeed weak ? You can check the data point yourself by connecting a gigabit device to it and do a speedtest.

By the way, please do not confuse Termination Point and Data Point ( i.e. network access point )
For your reference:

Structured-network-cabling.jpg

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, you are talking about the FTP (fiber termination point) which you plug the ONT (modem) into, or LAN point?

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How old is your fibre termination point and data point installation ? Usually LAN cable don't degrade that fast to require a replacement.

Have you tested yourself to see if the signal is indeed weak ? You can check the data point yourself by connecting a gigabit device to it and do a speedtest.

By the way, please do not confuse Termination Point and Data Point ( i.e. network access point )
For your reference:

Structured-network-cabling.jpg

My place is slightly more than 1 year old. It's a new place.

The terminal point is ok, its the network point aka data point that is the issue. The starhub person put the modem in my kitchen where my terminal point is. That is fine. But when he tried to put the modem in my living room, he checked the data point there. It was 2 bars. He checked the kitchen data point, it was 10 bars full. So he told me the data point in the living room is faulty. Does that makes sense?

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, you are talking about the FTP (fiber termination point) which you plug the ONT (modem) into, or LAN point?

The modem point is fine. It's the router which cannot be shifted out to the living room because the data point in the living is faulty. Kitchen data point is ok.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can refer to this link for the different charges for the fibre termination point/data point installation, activation, cancellation etc.

www*starhub*com/personal/broadband/fibre-broadband/other-charges*html

(Please change the * to dot for the actual link)

Based on the info, these will be cost for the installation and activation of a new fibre data point.
1. Optical Fibre Termination Point Installation - $235.40
2. Service Activation Fee - $53.50

All fibre data point installation in Singapore is actually managed by Netlink Trust (formerly known as OpenNet). A few years back they installed the data points in each household for free as an initiative by the government.

When you sign up a fibre broadband plan with Starhub, Starhub will engage Netlink Trust to do the fibre point installation if your household has not installed with one.

It seems that Starhub is charging you lesser than the usual rate as I suspect they charge based on replacing the existing degrading fibre cable to new one.

Regards,
Sky
Tech Level Computing

Hi, my optical fibre point is fine. My modem is working. It is just the router that cannot be moved to the living room because the data point in the living is faulty. I have seen the link previously it doesn't state the price of a data point.

I complained to starhub because I ask them to bring a man down to check my data points previously and I specifically asked them to confirm the router can be in the living room before i sign up. They said yes all in order. I signed. On day of installation it doesn't work.

I'm a little peeved I even have to pay anything.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my optical fibre point is fine. My modem is working. It is just the router that cannot be moved to the living room because the data point in the living is faulty. I have seen the link previously it doesn't state the price of a data point.

I complained to starhub because I ask them to bring a man down to check my data points previously and I specifically asked them to confirm the router can be in the living room before i sign up. They said yes all in order. I signed. On day of installation it doesn't work.

*If* your living room was installed using CAT5E cables and less than 100 metres, it shouldn't have poor performance unless the cables has degraded.

I'm a little peeved I even have to pay anything.

Well...I'm not sure what was the exact word exchanged between you and Starhub. But typically, Internet Service Providers will only setup and verify that the internet service working fine from Termination Point up to Fibre Modem ". Router, also, if it was provided by Starhub.

Unless the additional data points in the rest of the house are installed by Starhub, it is not their responsiblity to check.

Last edited:

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The modem point is fine. It's the router which cannot be shifted out to the living room because the data point in the living is faulty. Kitchen data point is ok.

Typically, ISP's responsibility is up to your ONT, modem.

freezerz

Reaction score
I'm confused, why do you need to connect to the data point?

You only need to connect the ONT to the ROUTER. Then all devices are connected via wireless. Unless you are trying to connect to a wired device in another room. In that case, is there a direct connection from the kitchen / living room data point to that device? I'm asking this as usually, all the data points in every room goes to a central location, and you need a switch there to manage the connection. They won't connect directly point to point.

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

TIA!
Drkcynic, what's the outcome?

talonn

Reaction score
Hi, I am having the exact same problem as OP. Any advice on whom to call to fix it?

blong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most likely need to get contractor to do the data point again. But if the network point (jack) is faulty, can go SLT buy the keystone and punch down tool. If I remember correctly I bought for like $3 only. If cabling issue, then might need more lah.

dusak77

Reaction score
can't access certain website

Here are my current setup at home
Broadband : Singtel fiber with Cable TV subscription
Router: RT-AC66U_B1

I just bought Dell Notebook with Windows 10 Pro pre installed.

Problem that I encounter
Wifi access: can't access certain website (e.g Facebook, youtube netflix, etc. can't play video streaming from online learning website)

direct cable connection with same notebook: no problem at all

Browser : Edge and Chrome

Anyone face the same issue ?

Rgs

yamin

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can other wireless devices access the same website?

Here are my current setup at home
Broadband : Singtel fiber with Cable TV subscription
Router: RT-AC66U_B1

I just bought Dell Notebook with Windows 10 Pro pre installed.

Problem that I encounter
Wifi access: can't access certain website (e.g Facebook, youtube netflix, etc. can't play video streaming from online learning website)

direct cable connection with same notebook: no problem at all

Browser : Edge and Chrome

Anyone face the same issue ?

Rgs

yamin

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.