www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   Do third party routers have stronger signal than the singtel router (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/do-third-party-routers-have-stronger-signal-than-singtel-router-6206727.html)

MoyoCase 12-02-2020 09:33 AM

Do third party routers have stronger signal than the singtel router

as above.....
or are they the same as in limited by number of walls , house layout ect.

giraffey 12-02-2020 10:17 AM

In short, ISPs tend to give the entry level wireless routers. There are certainly better wireless routers and access points in the market. They may give some improvements. Of course, wireless frequencies are largely dependent on layout and materials. Placement is first and foremost the most important. If you have a strong solid wall and doors, even the best wireless router wont be able to penetrate it.

MoyoCase 14-02-2020 10:07 AM

ok my walls are thick but not so bad... i can still get 2-3 bars from singtel router 7 metres away with one wall

xonix 14-02-2020 01:40 PM

Other routers are also limited by the same law of physics. But if they designed to be more powerful than Singtel router, then the signal degradation will be less severe.

manyu882 14-02-2020 05:29 PM

There is a limit whereby a wireless device can transmit its power. Different country has it different regulation on it. Definitely a 3rd party router might be better in signal but they canít pass over the limit set by local law.

Phen8210 28-02-2020 05:51 AM

its hard to give a good answer because it depend on various factors.

xiaofan 29-02-2020 02:02 PM

Other than signal strength, major problem with SingTel issued router is the stability. Routing performance is also bad if you are using it as a router (with ONT). Using it as an AP (with ONR) is a bit better.

Other ISPs seem to offer more stable and better wireless router.

hellya007 01-03-2020 10:35 PM

Singtel router I presume is their in-house router with the singtel logo. I understand singtels broadband is a ONR not ONT. Which I believe is why many avoid them. Their router is not compatible with other ISPs. I have a starhub EA8100 (AC2600) which I use as my primary router with whizzcomm. What i believe is the best iteration is that it uses DFS channels usually blocked for household use and reserved for govt or businesses. Best to check using an app such as NetSpot or wifianalyser to search your surroundings and find the best channel to relay your 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Hope this helps

jess_sy 01-03-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoyoCase (Post 125153513)
ok my walls are thick but not so bad... i can still get 2-3 bars from singtel router 7 metres away with one wall

usually is bad i would say. in terms of wifi speed.

arsene 02-03-2020 09:58 AM

The first thing I do is to change to a 3rd party router.