expanding Wifi coverage via mesh - need advise

triskie

Reaction score
Hi guys

need some advise on the above. I am currently using a Asus AC2400 modem router (already 5 years) , which have pretty decent wifi coverage in the entire house except for 1 room.
- the AC2400 is connected to a gigabit switch which in turn is connected to the main ethernet port to link to ethernet ports to my bedrooms
- all my rooms were wired with ethernet points
-my new laptops all don't have ethernet ports, so have to rely on wifi coverage for internet
I want to have the seamless connection of wifi throughout the apartment , i.e same SSID

Qns:

1. can I buy just 1 x Google Wifi and connect it to the ethernet port of the room with low signal coverage?

2. or do I need a pair etc, and connect 1 to my router direct etc? the issue is that I may not have as strong coverage for the other rooms in that case and I may end up having to buy more.

3. presumably if I can use just 1, can it still be the same said throughout the apartment without having to switch between SSIDs?

4. is there a better solution to my case, with reasonable setup cost and ease of setting up?

Please advise. thanks in advance.

Jim

Last edited:

giraffey

Reaction score
Hi guys

need some advise on the above. I am currently using a Asus AC2400 modem router (already 5 years) , which have pretty decent wifi coverage in the entire house except for 1 room.
- the AC2400 is connected to a gigabit switch which in turn is connected to the main ethernet port to link to ethernet ports to my bedrooms
- all my rooms were wired with ethernet points
-my new laptops all don't have ethernet ports, so have to rely on wifi coverage for internet
I want to have the seamless connection of wifi throughout the apartment , i.e same SSID

Qns:

1. can I buy just 1 x Google Wifi and connect it to the ethernet port of the room with low signal coverage?

2. or do I need a pair etc, and connect 1 to my router direct etc? the issue is that I may not have as strong coverage for the other rooms in that case and I may end up having to buy more.

3. presumably if I can use just 1, can it still be the same said throughout the apartment without having to switch between SSIDs?

4. is there a better solution to my case, with reasonable setup cost and ease of setting up?

Please advise. thanks in advance.

Jim

You dont really need a mesh. Just any wireless router (configured in access point mode) or a wireless access point and placed in the room where wifi is weak will do. You can configure it with the same ssid and password.

hkingx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You dont really need a mesh. Just any wireless router (configured in access point mode) or a wireless access point and placed in the room where wifi is weak will do. You can configure it with the same ssid and password.

I believe this works only if the signal is really weak maybe 1bar.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It depends on what AP. Some AP do have built in support 802.11k and 802.11r which helps create a more seamless roaming experience for wireless clients.

giraffey

Reaction score
I believe this works only if the signal is really weak maybe 1bar.

Mesh using wireless backhaul is simply like a wireless repeater. It would only work if the signals are still adequate as it needs to use that link to communicate with the main wireless router/access point/mesh hub. If the signals are weak, it would also mean that the speeds would be slow and unstable. For it to work best, it needs to be placed midway.

Mesh using wired backhaul is actually no difference from getting wireless access points (which tend to be cheaper and better). In essence, it is not making use of the features of what mesh is intended and designed for (i.e. paying more than necessary). But nevertheless, Mesh devices tend to be nicer looking and easier to configure which may appeal to users who do not want to meddle with the settings.

ahboy_ahboy

Reaction score
Mesh using wireless backhaul is simply like a wireless repeater. It would only work if the signals are still adequate as it needs to use that link to communicate with the main wireless router/access point/mesh hub. If the signals are weak, it would also mean that the speeds would be slow and unstable. For it to work best, it needs to be placed midway.

Mesh using wired backhaul is actually no difference from getting wireless access points (which tend to be cheaper and better). In essence, it is not making use of the features of what mesh is intended and designed for (i.e. paying more than necessary). But nevertheless, Mesh devices tend to be nicer looking and easier to configure which may appeal to users who do not want to meddle with the settings.

hmm why would weird backhaul no different from wireless access points? For users that need the mesh to use the LAN point then it's useful already mah

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.