HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #2236
Supremacy Member

Currently I feel the best combo would be buying a mi box S, then install netflix (10.90) + tvb ($5.98) + singtel cast (Chinese for $12.90).

About $30/ month which is pretty reasonable. I like it because:

1. Little commitment (mostly no contract except for singtel cast - 1 year)

2. No box rental since xiaomi is $80. No nonsense as additional box rental and mirror of content

3. No signing up fees

4. No extra cables, EOCC, lan lines etc...

Personally for me, VOD is better than live TV. Unless you need to watch real time like football etc...
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #2237
Arch-Supremacy Member

Currently I feel the best combo would be buying a mi box S, then install netflix (10.90) + tvb ($5.98) + singtel cast (Chinese for $12.90).

2. No box rental since xiaomi is $80. No nonsense as additional box rental and mirror of content

3. No signing up fees

Personally for me, VOD is better than live TV. Unless you need to watch real time like football etc...
I also feel the same especially for my bedroom use.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #2238
Arch-Supremacy Member

Let's wait and see. Feedbacks of Red Bean boxes are extremely bad.
I will passby next week and let me go see see.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #2239
Supremacy Member

Seriously you are wasting your money with redbean box. Totally lousy.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #2240

3. No signing up fees

good idea especially when you don't watch sports.
but for sports, i'm yet to find something legit at an affordable price.
rajeev3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #2241

definitely can get mi box s for a lower price. those lifetime free apps never work properly
rajeev3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #2242
Master Member

The cheapest is SingTel Cast Sports Plus Pack at S$49.9 per month and this is open to non-SingTel customers.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...st/sports-plus

For those who understand and do not mind Chinese dubbing, CCTV 5 and CCTV 5+ can be used for many live matches. There are quite some free live TV apps from Dangbei or Shafa market which you can use to watch all major live TV channels from mainland China. They do not require VPN.

There are more options here if you pay for VIP access for Tencent Sports and use VPN. I have not tried iQiYi Sports and PP Sports.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...5929935-4.html

Last edited by xiaofan; 01-05-2019 at 09:06 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #2243
Supremacy Member

For sports, just go with SingTel cast. If not get vpn and stream to China server
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #2244
Arch-Supremacy Member

For sports, just go with SingTel cast. If not get vpn and stream to China server
Starhub finished la. So many way to watch TV.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #2245
Master Member

Haha, you are having issues with StarHub lately, I think you have both StarHub TV and StarHub Go Streaming Box.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #2246
Supremacy Member

Not totally finished. I think they will always have a group of core customers.

Those who are not tech savvy (not necessarily the elderly folks).

Those who are lazy and dun want to have multiple accounts like all the different VOD services. Or go hunting for an alternative source.

Those who still like to watch live TV.

And maybe possibly those who enjoy watching lifestyle and documentaries. These genres are not well represented in the VOD space and SH/ST TV is still best if AFC, Discovery, NatGeo, BBC Earth are your things.

As of 2018, SH still has 409,000 Pay TV subscribers. ST has 401,000 subscribers. The numbers are dropping but not insignificant.
Paul Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #2247
High Supremacy Member

They got 2 shops in SLS, if that bad how they survive?
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #2248
Supremacy Member

I think as long as you don't improve, you will be gone one day. My mum in her 70s just learnt how to use an ipad, smart TV. She realised that it is a new way to watch TV like tvb, toggle, singtel cast. Of course have to put in effort to teach her and answer her questions. Again, we find it happy she is keen to learn. My dad in his late 70s already learn how to use a tablet couple of months back. I think elderly don't mind learning new technology as long as it is not difficult.

To be honest, I don't mind Starhub and Singtel fiber TV. Only issue is a lot of limitation/ restrictions and additional charges

1. Why need their proprietary modem?
2. Why need to charge signup fees?
3. Why cannot design a system more user friendly? Can support multiple devices, rooms (no need long cables and additional devices)

We keep talking about smart nation but which part is smart? China has moved to tv apps (youku, iqiyi, tengxun etc..). I agree they have their limitation but these tech companies are moving in the right direction. I think live TV app (subscription) will come. Someone will eventually disrupt the pay TV. Just like what grab did to the taxi companies.

I always believe if you refuse to change, you will lose all ur clients. But it doesn't matter to those sitting at the top.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #2249
Supremacy Member

They got 2 shops in SLS, if that bad how they survive?
You buy then let us know. Anyway it is just $100. If you don't like it, a small price to pay
Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 AM   #2250
Supremacy Member

I think as long as you don't improve, you will be gone one day. My mum in her 70s just learnt how to use an ipad, smart TV. She realised that it is a new way to watch TV like tvb, toggle, singtel cast. Of course have to put in effort to teach her and answer her questions. Again, we find it happy she is keen to learn. My dad in his late 70s already learn how to use a tablet couple of months back. I think elderly don't mind learning new technology as long as it is not difficult.

To be honest, I don't mind Starhub and Singtel fiber TV. Only issue is a lot of limitation/ restrictions and additional charges

1. Why need their proprietary modem?
2. Why need to charge signup fees?
3. Why cannot design a system more user friendly? Can support multiple devices, rooms (no need long cables and additional devices)

We keep talking about smart nation but which part is smart? China has moved to tv apps (youku, iqiyi, tengxun etc..). I agree they have their limitation but these tech companies are moving in the right direction. I think live TV app (subscription) will come. Someone will eventually disrupt the pay TV. Just like what grab did to the taxi companies.

I always believe if you refuse to change, you will lose all ur clients. But it doesn't matter to those sitting at the top.

all about money.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.