Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wish to subscribe to Fibre tv.
Can i ask whats the best way for connection?
My ont is at the main door, very far from the living.
But I have a data point in living beside my tv console.
Tell the service provider the situation and they can advise you accordingly as they are the expert working in this service.

igel_kott

Reaction score

Same situation.
I bought a 40m fibre optic cable from Lazada and discreetly laid it to my TV console (put above curtain rails, behind cupboard etc)as I don't want contractors to lay down trunking again (first time was SCV cable).

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you have to set aside one dedicate lan cable from ont to the set top box.

if you use your data point for set top box beside the tv console, it cannot be use for other devices, even if you have a ethernet switch beside the tv console.

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
Basically these are the common set ups.
1. Trunking. Most reliable solution, but potentially messy and ugly.
2. EoCC. If you have a network data point within 2m of your TP, you can consider this solution if you want to stay with StarHub. It makes use of existing cable TV points.
3. Wireless Mesh. Available for Singtel tv. Potentially expensive if you have many TVs. Need one main mesh router at the TP, and additional mesh device for each additional TV. Uses the UJ45 port from the mesh device to connect to the TV box. For reference I’m using 4x AirTies 4930 for landed and they work perfectly covering a v huge area.

untested: if u are already using powerline and it works well for you, I reckon there should not be any problem using it as a data point. Telcos won’t provide support for it though.

If you already have your own mesh routers, u don’t have to get them from Singtel. Any mesh device will do as long as they have a gigabit port to connect to the tv box. With that said, I think netgear orbi has the best performance currently (but really expensive). I’m using AirTies (about 1/2 the price of orbi) and they are good too. TPlink etc will have weaker signal but as long as it works for you...
so if you are considering mesh solution, u can buy the device and test yourself if you get good signal and performance first, before actually signing up with Singtel (unless you want the AirTies).

Last edited:

Compose

Reaction score
Trunking is the worst part of this whole thing. I delayed the switch due to the need for surface trunking.

vader1671

Reaction score
mio working on Viewqwest

Thinking of switching to mio from StarHub. I really don't want to do trunking through the house.

Right now I have a mesh setup with Viewqwest on Fiber. Will mioTV work on the mesh?

giraffey

Reaction score
Thinking of switching to mio from StarHub. I really don't want to do trunking through the house.

Right now I have a mesh setup with Viewqwest on Fiber. Will mioTV work on the mesh?

I am assuming you are using a mesh wifi system with VLAN capabilities like Orbi. In this case, yes, it will work.

But as you would have 2 ISPs for outbound connection, you would need to create routing rules (you might need an additional router) to divert internet traffic to VQ router and IPTV traffic to ST router.

Singtel

Featured Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi vader1671,

Thanks for asking.

Singtel TV will actually need to run on Singtel Mesh. However subject to our field engineer's assessment and recommendation, a free wireless home bridge or additional cabling may be viable solutions for your case.

If you'd like our sales colleagues to get in touch with a Singtel TV offer that you can consider, do PM us your name and contact no.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It depends. if just one cable from living room to one bedroom still ok. Not whole house for sure.

iron2000

Reaction score
Ok thought my troubles are over.
But then watch 4 days only got problem already.

"Service access status (Error code:5014)", say the box cannot access network.
Everything plugged in, didn't touch anything.

Urgh, anyone have any ideas?

But I think should be their side but calling 1633 is bad experience.
Going through the press 1 press 2, waiting , then they alert relevant team or something, then bye.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

Going through the press 1 press 2, waiting , then they alert relevant team or something, then bye.

reboot all the fibre equipments.
if using EOCC, use power adapter, don't use usb power.

iron2000

Reaction score

Ok, called and they settle things on their side.
Can watch already.
Phew.

Lucky not box spoil.

Last edited:

yooooz

Reaction score
you have to set aside one dedicate lan cable from ont to the set top box.

if you use your data point for set top box beside the tv console, it cannot be use for other devices, even if you have a ethernet switch beside the tv console.

I was thinking to convert my telephone point to data point. So i have 2 data points in the living. 1 for set top box. 1 for normal router internet use.

But before conversion of tel point, want to make sure data point is ok for setup box to work.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was thinking to convert my telephone point to data point. So i have 2 data points in the living. 1 for set top box. 1 for normal router internet use.

But before conversion of tel point, want to make sure data point is ok for setup box to work.

It will be best to call Starhub Tech Support to confirm about it.

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
fiber tv can have a second stb? :s11:

currently my cable tv had 2 stb.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fiber tv can have a second stb? :s11:

currently my cable tv had 2 stb.

Starhub FibreTV can support up to 4 STBs.

iptv-multiple-set-top-box-set-up.jpg

Of cos, you will need either to lay cable to your other rooms or make use of EOCC adapters and use your existing CableTV points.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub FibreTV can support up to 4 STBs.

iptv-multiple-set-top-box-set-up.jpg

Of cos, you will need either to lay cable to your other rooms or make use of EOCC adapters and use your existing CableTV points.

Actually just need to tell the Starhub person and everything will be arranged for us nicely. I told SH what i want and leave everything to the Starhub person on the installation date. Everything look ok to me.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi vader1671,

Thanks for asking.

Singtel TV will actually need to run on Singtel Mesh. However subject to our field engineer's assessment and recommendation, a free wireless home bridge or additional cabling may be viable solutions for your case.

If you'd like our sales colleagues to get in touch with a Singtel TV offer that you can consider, do PM us your name and contact no.

When Singtel TV is going into 4K Video resolution? Any plan for 4K? Waiting for Singtel to go into 4K first before i consider jumping over. Please reply.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I started watching netflix, YouTube and some China app. Judging from the current situation (Assuming if the content is not refreshed), I probably need 3 years to finish watching every drama... Lol if you don't need live TV, I urge u to save $$$. Subscribe to app like VIU or TVB (although TVB TV app quite shitty)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.