HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #2956
Arch-Supremacy Member

I plan to ask ST and M1, and check out their offerings. But I am seriously thinking of switching out of SH, as they are just basically telling me suck it up, pay more to continue our services. Very disappointed and frustrating.
thats my plan too....SH ask me refer promo on web pui!

fiber tv think 1 switch ST
internet might go M1 as too many ST users my area

wkend go shop ask
vaxvms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #2957
Arch-Supremacy Member

well done!!!!!!
i too call them see what promo for me
knn they ask me refer to website

i am letting my scv died naturally end of month as now i not on contract

might be keep broadband as my area 80% singtel ,,,waiting my MOL died naturally too
Actually most important is Broadband as can watch online too.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #2958
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually most important is Broadband as can watch online too.
no wonder starhub can have take it or leave it attitude
vaxvms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #2959
Honorary Member

if I buy 2 starhub go boxes, do I get 12 months free subscription?
or both 6 months subscription run concurrently?

... (⊙_⊙) ... ... (⚆_⚆) ... ... (。◕‿‿◕。) ... ... (ಠ_ಠ) ... ... (ಥ_ಥ) ...

mocax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #2960
Supremacy Member

if I buy 2 starhub go boxes, do I get 12 months free subscription?
or both 6 months subscription run concurrently?
Haha, the likely answer will be 6 months.

You may consider buying one Starhub Go Streaming box (to gain the included 6 month subscription of Go Family and Go Select pack). For the other TV you can get cheaper thing like the Chromecast dongle or Mi Box S (around S$80), then cast from mobile phone since Starhub Go app supports Chromecast.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #2961
Arch-Supremacy Member

Haha, the likely answer will be 6 months.

You may consider buying one Starhub Go Streaming box (to gain the included 6 month subscription of Go Family and Go Select pack). For the other TV you can get cheaper thing like the Chromecast dongle or Mi Box S (around S$80), then cast from mobile phone since Starhub Go app supports Chromecast.
Agree and chromecast is good.
Old 14-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #2962
Arch-Supremacy Member

no wonder starhub can have take it or leave it attitude
As long as we have internet, there are other option to watch so why worry? User can buy some channels online or use Singtel TV and not necessary Starhub TV. Android box also can. If no internet then no other option available. It is a must have thing.
Old 14-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #2963

Well I was a very long time customer since the 1 Mbps time . Maybe that's why. ☺
Maybe I am not long enough to them. Based on these few threads,
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...928861-11.html
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...4296694-9.html
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...428111-18.html

Those that gotten their's at $10/month must be ancient.

I have decided to get myself out of green and switch to red after 14 years as SH customer.

After talking to SH for 5 times, different CSO called me telling me different stories, and always I have to use other channels to ask them to call me back which they promised by never do. Never once I felt they wish to retain existing customers. My cable TV and fibre broadband contracts had expired, and after 14 years using their TV and Broadband services, I am treated like any other off the street customer with the same offer publicly. There is only homehub+ offer take it or leave it, no 19.90 or 29.90 bb offer etc. I have deliberated over having to give up some channels exclusive to SH but this is just a matter of habits. I may also switch out my SH mobile plan once the time is up.

I would not say ST offer is very good but it is better than re-contracting offer with SH. At least the ST CSO I got followed up promptly and willing to win over new customer. Post sales customer service wise, all telco are equally as good or as bad depending who services you.

Who knows, but I may be back as we are all price sensitive.
I felt the same as you do. Take it or leave it.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...928861-20.html
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...296694-14.html
Can read this 2 thread, some are feeling the same.

They are trying to retain customer and there are many users paying different pricing for cable.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...#post116230611
Post #89.

In My Opinion, I am guessing that the offer one get might be based on your current cable price.

Mine is $39.90 and offer is $29.90.

My guess is
$39.90 > $29.90
$29.90 > $22.90
$22.90 > 19.90
?????? > $10

When one received the SMS offer, might feel happy, price lesser than current cable. But when compared with others, felt

Last edited by NewNew; 14-06-2019 at 08:43 PM..
NewNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #2964
Arch-Supremacy Member

Maybe I am not long enough to them. Based on these few threads,
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...928861-11.html
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...4296694-9.html
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...428111-18.html

Those that gotten their's at $10/month must be ancient.

I felt the same as you do. Take it or leave it.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...928861-20.html
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...296694-14.html
Can read this 2 thread, some are feeling the same.

They are trying to retain customer and there are many users paying different pricing for cable.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...#post116230611
Post #89.

In My Opinion, I am guessing that the offer one get might be based on your current cable price.

Mine is $39.90 and offer is $29.90.

My guess is
$39.90 > $29.90
$29.90 > $22.90
$22.90 > 19.90
?????? > $10

When one received the SMS offer, might feel happy, price lesser than current cable. But when compared with others, felt
what is the speed you are getting for 39.9 per month?

honestly for those who are still on broadband with less than 100mbps speed TPG would probably be the main 'competitor'.
montosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 10:45 PM   #2965

This can be easily solved by getting a Digital STB from Lazada, Qoo10 or Shopee.

Refer to this thread for some excellent suggestion: Cheap DVB-T2 STB from PRC

I just got 2 STBs for the bedrooms. Cheaper than what it would cost you to get a Digital TV STB from Best Denki or Courts etc..

I will be cancelling my SH Cable TV next week.
Thanks to yours (and everyone else's) quick replies, I have decided to terminate SH, and sign up with M1. Main reason is because price not much different, but SH made me super pissed when they adopted the 'take it or leave it' attitude, in what they offered me.

TV cannot watch as my SH set box need to return to avoid rental charges. So be it. Perhaps think about getting an Android box. Nowadays I also don't watch much TV, mostly internet Youtube, so won't miss much.

Internet cannot hook up to cable for my desktop PC anymore as its cancelled. Fine. I just need to find out how to boost my WIFI signals as my PC is located far end of my house and has no or very weak WIFI connection today. Any ideas? Wifi mesh seems to be expensive, and my house is not big, but Wifi extender works for anyone? Any recommendations for Wifi extender?
hybridz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 12:49 AM   #2966

Wifi Mesh vs. Extender

Just an update.

I just read up on these 2 technology. As my problem is about not having Wifi signal strength for my far end of the house, which is where my desktop PC sits and also where most downloads take place, I believe Wifi Mesh will suit my needs better, as it will create another Wifi spot without drop in signal strength.
Wifi Extender extends the network and signal strength gets halved.

Let me know if my understanding is wrong....

In that case, Wifi Mesh is the one to buy, but are most are >$100+? And any advice from those who have used it on which one to get that's value for money? Google Wifi Mesh?
hybridz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 01:41 AM   #2967
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just an update.

I just read up on these 2 technology. As my problem is about not having Wifi signal strength for my far end of the house, which is where my desktop PC sits and also where most downloads take place, I believe Wifi Mesh will suit my needs better, as it will create another Wifi spot without drop in signal strength.
Wifi Extender extends the network and signal strength gets halved.

Let me know if my understanding is wrong....

In that case, Wifi Mesh is the one to buy, but are most are >$100+? And any advice from those who have used it on which one to get that's value for money? Google Wifi Mesh?
is the computer only used for downloading stuff? if so you are probably better off just placing it next to your router and making it into a dedicated media pc.
montosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #2968
Master Member

just wanna mention that the Singtel boxes are not wireless, they still need a network cable point.
The reason they can go "wireless" is because Singtel use a Mesh router/Satellite (that, or home bridge), and the unit itself has an RJ45 port that will be used to connect to the box. This means for each and every TV that has no network cable point, there must be a mesh satellite, on top of the main mesh router beside the modem, if you want to go the "wireless" way.

In my case i need it for 3 TVs, so I need a total of 4 Mesh... $$$

If Singtel can do it this way.... how come Starhub cannot ah?
So far the best option, in terms of performance, I think is NetGear Orbi which supports VLAN Tagging, but quite expensive :/

Last edited by Asure7; 15-06-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Asure7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #2969

Interlaced or progressive, it's still 1920x1080. Hope that clarifies all these discussions about 1080i or 1080p.

True HD? I thought MIO and SH both 1080i?
romeo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #2970
Supremacy Member

Interlaced or progressive, it's still 1920x1080. Hope that clarifies all these discussions about 1080i or 1080p.
If you are too dependent on Starhub, u won't enjoy the future content like apple tv 4k, netflix 4k and other Chinese apps that stream 4k content. The "stable" fiber TV will still give u full HD or 720P content
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.