HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
Supremacy Member

Icic. Thx.

I thought wifi could achieve the same point-to-point connection just like powerline.
Powerline is on wired lan cable only.
Even using powerline wifi cannot work.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #17
Supremacy Member

Powerline is on wired lan cable only.
Even using powerline wifi cannot work.
Sian... think trunking might be a more stable solution. Nabeh starfug...
furryballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #18

i have fibre internet with other provider. to use star hub fibre tv, do i have to
1. use the second fibre port on FTP;
2. get starhub modem and set-top box?

this means i will have 2 modems unless i use starhub's fibre internet too?

there are too many equipments around the FTP area...
i-Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

i have fibre internet with other provider. to use star hub fibre tv, do i have to
1. use the second fibre port on FTP;
2. get starhub modem and set-top box?

this means i will have 2 modems unless i use starhub's fibre internet too?

there are too many equipments around the FTP area...
In order to use Starhub fibre Tv you will need to have both fibre internet and TV under Starhub. No standalone fibre TV is allowed. Starhub try to force all the TV user to use their internet.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #20

Look like every room need two Ethernet ports on the wall (1 for Internet, 1 for StarHub IPTV).

Wonder whether new BTO/condo have planned for that since coax is out....
JustDoLor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #21
Supremacy Member

Okay i bought a pair of TP link powerline adaptors. Achieved around 50Mbps throughput across it. Is it sufficient for starhub fibre TV?
furryballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #22
Master Member

now i kena the letter to change my cable tv plan to fibre tv liao..

i sent an sms for their telesales to call me. then i told her i already have fibre internet under singtel and it will only expire later in october this year.

she said its ok. one residential home TP can have 2 ISP fibre service. so i can just recon and take up the free 24mths internet and wait till october then terminate my singtel bb and continue using the starhub internet for free until the 24mths end.

nothing to lose since im still paying the same monthly tv subscription price of $52 and actually only my mum watches the tv.. somemore got free router and free internet bb for 24mths. she said tomorrow morning will arrange netlink people to test signal then if signal ok they can get starhub techs to come down on thursday to install already.

Charlie_Zhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

i sent an sms for their telesales to call me. then i told her i already have fibre internet under singtel and it will only expire later in october this year.

she said its ok. one residential home TP can have 2 ISP fibre service. so i can just recon and take up the free 24mths internet and wait till october then terminate my singtel bb and continue using the starhub internet for free until the 24mths end.

nothing to lose since im still paying the same monthly tv subscription price of $52 and actually only my mum watches the tv.. somemore got free router and free internet bb for 24mths. she said tomorrow morning will arrange netlink people to test signal then if signal ok they can get starhub techs to come down on thursday to install already.

That's great promotion.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

That's great promotion.
Not promotion really.
Starhub has begin moving those on cable set top box to IPTV.
Already some cable tv customers are offer this package and varies value.
Old 29-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #25

So when you sign up 1Gbps Fibre and IPTV bundle, you actually get 1.1Gbps as IPTV uses dedicated 100Mbps bandwidth?

Is it confirmed that Starhub will discontinue providing Cable TV service soon even customers are willing to take without contract? I have 3 Set-top boxes and it will be big mess work to do structured cabling, what is Starhub’s suggestion to those customers?
i-Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 04:56 PM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

So this fiber starhub TV need an internet port for each additonal set top box and also have to subscribe to their internet fiber service.

Hmm, I guess when the time comes, I have to stop watching starhub TV and just use mioTV.
Yellowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #27
High Supremacy Member

That's fast for StarHub to migrate existing cable TV users to fibre TV, means StarHub may be shutting down the cable network very soon.
amazingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #28
Supremacy Member

So when you sign up 1Gbps Fibre and IPTV bundle, you actually get 1.1Gbps as IPTV uses dedicated 100Mbps bandwidth?

Is it confirmed that Starhub will discontinue providing Cable TV service soon even customers are willing to take without contract? I have 3 Set-top boxes and it will be big mess work to do structured cabling, what is Starhub’s suggestion to those customers?
This is not confirmed yet but already on the move for some time.
When my fibre recontract was due in end 2016 they offer free IPTV subscription.
In which i found out that my immediate neighbour too was given this same promotion package, but not sure about others.

Recently there are discussion on this matter in Starhub community forum.
StarHub will be ceasing cable services at a later date and upgrading everyone to fibre for a better experience. There's no need to change it now if you don't want to. However, you will need to change it in future once we've announced the final cessation date.

.. this is only an extended option for existing Cable TV customers to upgrade to Fibre TV. There is no obligation if you choose not to reply the SMS by 31 May 2018. We are just promoting the switch to let you experience a whole new world of high-quality entertainment Apps
like Netflix, Twitter and Flickr which will also be easily accessible on StarHub Fibre TV. You can choose not to switch and remain on your current plan.
This is their standard reply.

That's fast for StarHub to migrate existing cable TV users to fibre TV, means StarHub may be shutting down the cable network very soon.
Old 29-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #29
Supremacy Member

Please ensure you have a data point near to your TV for IPTV set top box.
IPTV is connected via data point from ONT Port-2 using ethernet cable.

If there is no data point, then you can request for trunking which cost $107.
But since you are (consider as) new sign-up on fibre broadband and as existing customer, do request it as free installation work.

It is a bit cheeky to say as "50% off Basic HD Upsize at $4.28/month .."
IPTV set top box is already HD format as mine was not even stated on this item.
Maybe in your case your current Cable set top box is not HD format, which i would say not true as they already upgraded all to HD format.
Then again, the IPTV set top box rental + recording cost $10/month.
Old 29-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #30
Master Member

Please ensure you have a data point near to your TV for IPTV set top box.
IPTV is connected via data point from ONT Port-2 using ethernet cable.

If there is no data point, then you can request for trunking which cost $107.
But since you are (consider as) new sign-up on fibre broadband and as existing customer, do request it as free installation work.

It is a bit cheeky to say as "50% off Basic HD Upsize at $4.28/month .."
IPTV set top box is already HD format as mine was not even stated on this item.
Maybe in your case your current Cable set top box is not HD format, which i would say not true as they already upgraded all to HD format.
Then again, the IPTV set top box rental + recording cost $10/month.
currently the FTP is located right beside my living room tv console feature wall..

and now my Singtel ONT is within 50 cm from the FTP only... router is right beside the ONT and the StarHub STB is right below the wall mounted tv that is maybe 30cm away from the router.. so I don't think wiring connection is an issue.. the sales staff did mention that in the unlikely event that there is a need for data point installation, they will waive it also.

I was told and assured by the telesales stuff that there will be $0 upfront / installation / activation / or any other one-time fee for the whole process of setting up the fibre broadband internet and IPTV. router will still be given FOC. monthly subscription fee for the cable tv service will be either the same or $1-2 lesser than what I'm currently paying ($52+) and it will be effective for the next 24mths.

the only thing that made my mum abit dulan was that the HDD full of her unwatched recorded shows will be formatted when installed on the new STB. but it doesn't matter because for the past 2 years she had never managed to finish watching what she records.

Sent from International Space Station using GAGT
Charlie_Zhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.