HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #3691
Supremacy Member

my 2 year contract will only end next year, hopefully transition will be improved, recontract offers will be better and the natgeo channels would be re-added in by then.

from the diagram shown in the faq, the connections for the new tv+ box looks different from the existing setup.

current normal setup :
ont port 1 to broadband router
ont port 2 to starhub tv box

new setup :
broadband router lan port ethernet cable to new tv+ box.

my current eocc setup :
ont port 2 to eocc master box
eocc master box to coax splitter
coax splitter to slave box to starhub tv box1.
coax splitter to wall coax to bedroom slave box to starhub tv box2.

will have to find out if the new nokia beacon router can drive the starhub eocc master box directly like the ont port 2 currently ?
Should be okay. But better confirm with Starhub.

Potential different solution, get another Nokia Beacon 1 from Carousell at about S$45-S$50.

ONT Port 1 -- Nokia Beacon 1 Main router-- wireless backhaul -- Nokia Beacon 1 Mesh unit -- Starhub+ TV box.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #3692

Anyone knows if the Nokia Beacon 1 can reach how much speed? I did 465mbps and 435mbps (upload and download) with 1 unit on.
007Mi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #3693
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone knows if the Nokia Beacon 1 can reach how much speed? I did 465mbps and 435mbps (upload and download) with 1 unit on.
That is very good speed for a wifi 5 router. Wifi speed limitation. With such speed it is more than sufficient.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #3694

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...ew-chromecast/

Hopefully
A future use on StarHub tv+ box.
Play console style games with Google Stadia once it launched in SG
Hardware4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #3695

hi. our tv plan ending soon.

My father is the only 1 watching the phoenix news channel. he found that $30 tv plan is pretty ex.

Is there any other source to watch the channel for him? only 1 channel and he felt $30 too ex for him.
tweeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #3696
Supremacy Member

From Starhub 1Gbps Thread.

Starhub no longer offering Fibre TV box entertainment pass for new sign up.
Interesting move. So they are really promoting the TV+ Pass and Starhub TV+ Box now. I was thinking that the migration would take longer time (say half a year to one year time).

Short term they may lose some traditional customers. But probably they can attract some customers who are more on the mobile side (no need the TV+ box), similar to SingTel Cast.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #3697
Supremacy Member

My father is the only 1 watching the phoenix news channel. he found that $30 tv plan is pretty ex.

Is there any other source to watch the channel for him? only 1 channel and he felt $30 too ex for him.
Unfortunately no easy solution as this channel is not available from SingTel or other legal streaming platforms.

On the other hand, if possible ask him to see whether he can go to alternative like this Singtel Cast Chinese Plus pack at S$5.9 per month. It got CCTV 4, CTI Asia and ETTV News.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...t/chinese-plus

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-10-2020 at 07:45 AM..
Old 02-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #3698
Supremacy Member

Starhub TV services are a bit messy now.

1) Starhub Go packs with optional Starhub Streaming Box. No need to subscribe to Starhub Fibre Internet.
https://www.starhub.com/personal/entertainment/app.html

Old Starhub Go Streaming box has been changed to Starhub Streaming Box.
https://www.starhub.com/personal/ent...aming-box.html

2) New Starhub TV+ services with the optional Starhub TV+ box. No need to subscribe to Starhub Fibre Internet, unless you need MediaCorp Free To Air channels. In that case you need to subscribe to Starhub Fibre Internet and use Nokia router for now (no idea why it is like this).

Starhub TV+ pack
https://www.starhub.com/personal/tvplus/passes.html

Starhub TV+ box
https://www.starhub.com/personal/tvplus/box.html

3) Older Entertainment+ Pass with set-top box (using ONT port 2), who can enjoy free Starhub TV+ on the go. Need to subscribe to Starhub Fibre broadband. If not a monthly link access fee of S$15 applies.
https://www.starhub.com/personal/sto...-contract.html

For (1), Go Select is now called Starhub TV+ Starter. Go Max is still available.

(3) is gone for new subscribers. Website is gone. And Henry also posted that it was gone for new sign-up.

(2) Starhub TV+ is the main focus now.

Starhub no longer offering Fibre TV box entertainment pass for new sign up.
Interesting move. So they are really promoting the TV+ Pass and Starhub TV+ Box now. I was thinking that the migration would take longer time (say half a year to one year time).

Short term they may lose some traditional customers. But probably they can attract some customers who are more on the mobile side (no need the TV+ box), similar to SingTel Cast.

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-10-2020 at 08:06 AM..
Old 02-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #3699
Arch-Supremacy Member

To make it cheaper, just watch the other channels that are available in the pass. TVB anywhere also have news channel.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #3700

Unfortunately no easy solution as this channel is not available from SingTel or other legal streaming platforms.

On the other hand, if possible ask him to see whether he can go to alternative like this Singtel Cast Chinese Plus pack at S$5.9 per month. It got CCTV 4, CTI Asia and ETTV News.

CTI is totally different from phoenix channel.
CTI = taiwan = a lot of local gossip news
Phoenix = china = a lot of serious national news
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #3701

Unfortunately only starhub has the phoenix channel. Don't know about those streaming box though. I myself also only watch around 5-10 programmes per week.

Just look at it from another perspective : 1 lobster lunch/dinner = 6months - 1 year of phoenix subscription (1 hr happy eating = months of happy viewing at home)
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #3702
Supremacy Member

As long you want China-based TV programmes, you can always use HDPLive.
It hardly lagged. Very smooth, now transition into HD quality.

It had been free for at least 2 decades, zero cost, and no irritating popup adverts. Already free since the days of Android 4.x.

Can even import playlist (generic txt format) from many telegram IPTV groups.

I can't recalled if HDP Live had any apple app?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #3703
Supremacy Member

CTI is totally different from phoenix channel.
CTI = taiwan = a lot of local gossip news
Phoenix = china = a lot of serious national news
I understand and I agree it is different. Just a suggestion. Sometimes folks will switch the habit due to money reasons.

CCTV 4 = official mainland China

Phoenix is based in HK but covering mostly mainland China related news. It is more in the line of Chinese authority but still different from CCTV 4 or other mainland TV channels.

So yes I agree SingTel Cast Chinese Plus is not a replacement.

BTW, CCTV channels and mainland China channels are available for free from quite some legal apps. CCTV 4 is also available from YouTube.

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-10-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Old 02-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #3704
Arch-Supremacy Member

I understand and I agree it is different. Just a suggestion. Sometimes folks will switch the habit due to money reasons.

CCTV 4 = official mainland China

Phoenix is based in HK but covering mostly mainland China related news. It is more in the line of Chinese authority but still different from CCTV 4 or other mainland TV channels.

So yes I agree SingTel Cast Chinese Plus is not a replacement.

BTW, CCTV channels and mainland China channels are available for free from quite some legal apps. CCTV 4 is also available from YouTube.
What about TVB News Channel?
Old 02-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #3705
Supremacy Member

What about TVB News Channel?
It is free. You can use the official TVB News app to watch it on mobile phone or Android TV box (ads supported).

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-10-2020 at 02:48 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.