Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

romeo88

Reaction score
It's IPTV, don't see why it wouldn't if the bandwidth achieved is good enough. I don't think wireless delay is significant here and I'm quite sure there's buffering in the STB.

Not sure whether a wireless bridge would work with SH Fibre TV. Could be technically possible, but I think SH technical team will tell you they do not support such workarounds.

Not sure if anyone has tried it before though

Vitacimin

Reaction score
Actually such fibre Tv is quite troublesome during initial set up. After it has been set up, it is ok.

tenor.gif

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The thing about picture quality is that unless it's super obvious, it's kinda subjective.

Personally, I have no reference for comparison nor have I see any side-by-side photo comparison on PQ on cable TV vs Fibre TV.

I agree that picture quality is pretty subjective at the same resolution.

On the other hand I do not think Starhub Cable TV really has good picture quality. That may be partly due to the fact I only have complementary Cable TV Lite at my rented out flat with limited channels and the box given is the older generation bulky box.

SingTel TV quality is so so too but if I compare local TV channels on my SingTel TV at home and Starhub Cable TV Lite at the rented out flat (both with FHD TV), I feel SingTel TV (delivered over Fibre broadband) is better.

Then I saw the Starhub Go Streaming box demo in Starhub shops and I feel it is better than both my SingTel TV box and my Starhub TV Lite, not so sure it is because of the demo source or not. Yet the best comes from the demo from SingTelShop Demo with HD DVR box. Again this may have something to do with the fact they have better TV than my TVs.

I do not have high requirements on picture quality myself, no 4k TV or monitor myself, just cheap 1080p TV sets and one 24inch monitor. I feel I got best picture quality from streaming YouTube 1080p from my Chromecast 1st gen dongle.

Anyway, just share my thoughts. If high picture quality is desired, go to streaming service like Netflix or other better ones or Blu-ray players. I could be wrong but I feel SingTel TV and Starhub TV are not catered for those who need high picture quality.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my main internet is using powerline for one PC and printer. so impossible for it. Last time can deliver by cable so each room got 1 cable point. now coz of TV, my main internet suffer? cannot la bro

also, I don't want to use either singtel/starhub internet. im on another provider and am doing very well.. trying to keep us captive is it. smlj sia
Cable point can convert to internet access point or just ask the contractor to do a LAN cable.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree that picture quality is pretty subjective at the same resolution.

On the other hand I do not think Starhub Cable TV really has good picture quality. That may be partly due to the fact I only have complementary Cable TV Lite at my rented out flat with limited channels and the box given is the older generation bulky box.

SingTel TV quality is not superior either but if I compare local TV channels on my SingTel TV and Starhub Cable TV Lite, I feel SingTel TV (delivered over Fibre broadband) is better.

Then I saw the Starhub Go Streaming box demo in Starhub shops and I feel it is better than both SingTel TV and Starhub TV Lite, not so sure it is because of the demo source or not.

I do not have high requirements on picture quality myself, no 4k TV or monitor myself, just cheap 1080p TV sets and one 24inch monitor. I feel I got best picture quality from streaming YouTube 1080p from my Chromecast 1st gen dongle.

Anyway, just share my thoughts. If high picture quality is desired, go to streaming service like Netflix or other better ones or Blu-ray players. SingTel TV and Starhub TV are not catered for those who needs high picture quality.
I do not have any issue with Starhub TV because my STB box is the latest. My channel like KBS world quite clear too. My TV is a decent LG TV. If you are using an older STB then the image is not clear.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not have any issue with Starhub TV because my STB box is the latest. My channel like KBS world quite clear too. My TV is a decent LG TV. If you are using an older STB then the image is not clear.

I see. Thanks for the input.

What is the comparison between your STB box and Go Streaming Box on the same LG TV?

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a dongle that joins a wifi network then has an RJ-45 output, aka a wifi bridge.

Come June 2019 I will also be forced to switch from SH Cable TV to Fibre TV. I don't mind switching but due to wiring problems I won't be able to have Fibre TV at the current locations where I have STBs.

I will be grateful if anyone who's tried this can report their experience.

Get contractor to do a cable for you.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

cybertech

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Saw this message at the top when I login to my starhub account today
McznIsi.png

tRwBHEm.png

"Switch to Fibre Network at no additional cost" :s11: meaning I continue my current Stahub TV Chinese d'Lite Pack @ $19/mth and Starhub 200Mbps Cable Broadband @ $21/mth :s11:
KNN still need me to go down StarHub shop to find out :s27:

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel just call me after i submit the 2 years free broadband.

they state ' up to ' not confirm give you 2 years...

so they give me 10 months free 1 gbps .

for mio tv ...they don't have freebis...just $9.90 for first setup box and 2nd recording box for 2 years. problem is i don't want drill cable they say installer will see...if cannot setup physical ...they give wireless for free....

the wireless option will be the funny one...will it be part of my 1gbps signal output or different?

there is no 1gbps wireless capable device.

yet anyway. and even if there is, you need a sterile environment to hit it.

I have a dongle that joins a wifi network then has an RJ-45 output, aka a wifi bridge.

Come June 2019 I will also be forced to switch from SH Cable TV to Fibre TV. I don't mind switching but due to wiring problems I won't be able to have Fibre TV at the current locations where I have STBs.

I will be grateful if anyone who's tried this can report their experience.

you are essentially streaming a live TV broadcast. depending on your wifi setup and the walls/doors in your house, YMMV

Cable point can convert to internet access point or just ask the contractor to do a LAN cable.

that's not the issue. issue is both FTP ports are used up :)

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Holy shiat...thank god i revisited this thread and got to know about the switch to singtel fibre promo. Currently on cable bb + cable tv so i think i fit the criteria.

Time and again SH has shown they have not qualms spitting in the face and short changing long time loyal customers. This 6 mths free home hub is absolute nonsense when i have no use for half of the stuff included like home line, mobile bb and simi junior protect basic(whatever the hell is that). But in before SH fangay/promoter come and defend it to a hilt.

I am just one customer so i wont be missed. But if more make the jump to other telcos, perhaps SH will feel the pinch and wake up their idea finally.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel just call me after i submit the 2 years free broadband.

they state ' up to ' not confirm give you 2 years...

so they give me 10 months free 1 gbps .

for mio tv ...they don't have freebis...just $9.90 for first setup box and 2nd recording box for 2 years. problem is i don't want drill cable they say installer will see...if cannot setup physical ...they give wireless for free....

the wireless option will be the funny one...will it be part of my 1gbps signal output or different?

Can I check if you are currently on cable BB with either SH or M1?

If you ask me, I will say that the free 2 yr recording box is a good deal. The rental for that box is $12.90 a month so 2 yrs free is worth $309.60 (unless of cos you dun use recording).

Free wireless mesh is a good deal too! :s12: So overall I feel it is a good deal.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Holy shiat...thank god i revisited this thread and got to know about the switch to singtel fibre promo. Currently on cable bb + cable tv so i think i fit the criteria.

Time and again SH has shown they have not qualms spitting in the face and short changing long time loyal customers. This 6 mths free home hub is absolute nonsense when i have no use for half of the stuff included like home line, mobile bb and simi junior protect basic(whatever the hell is that). But in before SH fangay/promoter come and defend it to a hilt.

I am just one customer so i wont be missed. But if more make the jump to other telcos, perhaps SH will feel the pinch and wake up their idea finally.

Nice! Pls share what goodies Singtel offers you to switch over.

Yes. I agree that the package Starhub only looks attractive on paper.

Starhub has been losing PayTV customers for the last 5 yrs.

FY 2014: 542,000
FY 2015: 536,000
FY 2016: 498,000
FY 2017: 458,000
FY 2018: 409,000

That's more than 25% in 5 yrs and we can expect more in the coming years when people like you and me contemplate switching over to Singtel or cutting the cord altogether.

They are definitely feeling the pinch but years of monopoly has de-sensitise Starhub management. They have developed such a tight skin they no longer feel anything. So I dun expect to wake up anytime soon until they find themselves no longer the dominant player in the Pay TV segment in Spore.

Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at the no of Singtel TV customers over the same period.

FY 2014: 418,000
FY 2015: 420,000
FY 2016: 424,000
FY 2017: 409,000
FY 2018: 401,000

I was surprised at how close Singtel is to Starhub in term of numbers. Singtel has also been losing Pay TV customers but the drop is less alarming at just 4% drop over the last 5 yrs. In fact, they increase the numbers until 2016.

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
Can I check if you are currently on cable BB with either SH or M1?

If you ask me, I will say that the free 2 yr recording box is a good deal. The rental for that box is $12.90 a month so 2 yrs free is worth $309.60 (unless of cos you dun use recording).

Free wireless mesh is a good deal too! :s12: So overall I feel it is a good deal.
im with SH Fibre but Cable TV

i Went to ST shop try my luck.show them the promo. there is 2 years free if i show them the bill but in return i have to subscribe mio tv and the packs you subscribe does not include value pack that include EPL....which is a turn off..

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub has been losing PayTV customers for the last 5 yrs.

FY 2014: 542,000
FY 2015: 536,000
FY 2016: 498,000
FY 2017: 458,000
FY 2018: 409,000

Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at the no of Singtel TV customers over the same period.

FY 2014: 418,000
FY 2015: 420,000
FY 2016: 424,000
FY 2017: 409,000
FY 2018: 401,000

I was surprised at how close Singtel is to Starhub in term of numbers.

Nice statistics. I think paytv providers will lose customers to streaming service providers like Netflix. So no surprises here.

The government crack down on pirate stream IPTV apps and upcoming laws to ban preloaded Android TV boxes will probably help the two a little bit in the short time but not really help too much for the long run.

It is just the availability of legitimate alternative streaming services are still not as mature here in Singapore. You can count only Singtel Cast, Starhub Go, Toggle, Netflix, Viu, TVB Anywhere and probably a few others. Or people have to use VPN to get access to overseas geo-blocked content. If not more cord cutters will go ahead to ditch SingTel and Starhub.

creator88

Reaction score
that's not the issue. issue is both FTP ports are used up :)

Wow, both FTP ports already used up? Which service providers are you currently on for Fibre Internet?

Try calling OpenNet to install additional FTP ports in the home? :s22:

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im with SH Fibre but Cable TV

i Went to ST shop try my luck.show them the promo. there is 2 years free if i show them the bill but in return i have to subscribe mio tv and the packs you subscribe does not include value pack that include EPL....which is a turn off..

Ah. OK. Thanks for the update.

Previously some bro reported only those on Cable BB will qualify. So I guess those on Starhub Fibre Internet may qualify too.

Can share which packs you must subscribe to qualify for 2 years free?

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any promo for the bpl pack that doesn't include the Chinese channels? I don't need Chinese channels

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow, both FTP ports already used up? Which service providers are you currently on for Fibre Internet?

Try calling OpenNet to install additional FTP ports in the home? :s22:

why need to pay? keep forcing us to use what we don't want.

both my ports are neither SH or ST so..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.