HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Free wifi while travelling

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #16

Regarding hotels, I have some experience since I worked as a night porter in one for six months. As mentioned, some of the good ones issue different passwords for rooms and change them frequently, but the one I worked had one wi-fi for everyone, and I have encountered a FakeWAP attempt. A client obtained our password and while staying established a wi-fi hotspot with THE SAME password as our official, so for clients it looked totally legit. Had to change the password and inform our clients if any of them have connected to that network. So for hotels, I'd say a VPN is best always on.
urbanbootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #17

I been in hotels and flights where they charge for internet.

Fortunately I got openVPN hosted at home on port 53 to bypass the payment portal so I can use internet for free
urbanbootless likes this.
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #18

I been in hotels and flights where they charge for internet.

Fortunately I got openVPN hosted at home on port 53 to bypass the payment portal so I can use internet for free
I will not do that myself.

Anyway when I do stay in the hotel and mostly it will be for business travel, seldom we need to pay for the internet access. The only one time was at Chicago in 2011. Still it is compulsory to use Company VPN when using hotel wifi for Internet.

If company VPN is down (seldom) or there is no WiFi then I used my company phone roaming data as hot spot for the company laptop.

I travel very infrequently though. Now just returned my company phone due to job function change and there will be even less business travel.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #19

I will not do that myself.

Anyway when I do stay in the hotel and mostly it will be for business travel, seldom we need to pay for the internet access. The only one time was at Chicago in 2011. Still it is compulsory to use Company VPN when using hotel wifi for Internet.

If company VPN is down (seldom) or there is no WiFi then I used my company phone roaming data as hot spot for the company laptop.

I travel very infrequently though. Now just returned my company phone due to job function change and there will be even less business travel.
Its more of a convenience issue for me. Some public WiFi requires a lot of personal information like facebook login, phone numbers or email address and others gives you internet access in 5 minute blocks. The VPN protects my privacy and sanity.

There is also one airport and flight that charges $20+ an hour for WiFi. They can screw themselves.
urbanbootless likes this.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #20

Its more of a convenience issue for me. Some public WiFi requires a lot of personal information like facebook login, phone numbers or email address and others gives you internet access in 5 minute blocks. The VPN protects my privacy and sanity.

There is also one airport and flight that charges $20+ an hour for WiFi. They can screw themselves.
I practically use it for the same reasons. Never felt safe when putting my personal information in order to connect to public wi-fi. There is frustration because with masked IP you can't use maps or call a cab, but I use Surfsharks split-tunneling function, so I just WhiteList certain applications. If staying in hotels I whiteList online games, for example, it's unplayable with a VPN on slow networks.
urbanbootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #21

I believe on flight WiFi is expected to be expensive. I'd rather skip the Internet access and not to bypass the pay wall through VPN because you could be charged by law...
Old 11-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #22

I believe on flight WiFi is expected to be expensive. I'd rather skip the Internet access and not to bypass the pay wall through VPN because you could be charged by law...
Meh. In the end the flight attendant help anyone who didn't pay for in flight WiFi sign up for free.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #23

Meh. In the end the flight attendant help anyone who didn't pay for in flight WiFi sign up for free.
That is nice. Never used in-flight wifi (not counting Free Intranet Wifi for In-flight Entertainment from SilkAir) myself even for some relatively expensive business trips to US last time -- nice company policy to allow business class seating for flights longer than 10 hours.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.