HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Free wifi while travelling

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2019, 02:17 AM   #1

Free wifi while travelling

Today I read this interesting ARTICLE on the topic: how to get free wifi connection all over the world. Did anyone use the apps mentioned, for example, WiFi you, WiFI map? Do they really work?
Cirevek67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:58 AM   #2
Master Member

Just pay for data roaming lah or hang out in your hotel/ starbucks all the time.
fi5hbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #3

Just pay for data roaming lah or hang out in your hotel/ starbucks all the time.
Ofc that's always a possibility, but IMO the options provided in the article are more convenient. Can't deny the fact, that it could be more dangerous, as wifis are basically public. Personally, I would log in to my private accounts, just basic surfing.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

Ofc that's always a possibility, but IMO the options provided in the article are more convenient. Can't deny the fact, that it could be more dangerous, as wifis are basically public. Personally, I would log in to my private accounts, just basic surfing.
Run a VPN server on your router or pc at home and connect to it when u are on public WiFi for security
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Run a VPN server on your router or pc at home and connect to it when u are on public WiFi for security
Wifi at hotel should be ok but no banking transaction and for security i will use VPN from security App (paid).
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

Wifi at hotel should be ok but no banking transaction and for security i will use VPN from security App (paid).
There is no such thing as "should be ok". Without a password on the WiFi network anyone with a laptop running a packet analyzer or a rouge access point can either see unencrypted web traffic or trick you into entering personal info into a fake web page.

Also don't u have a Asus ac88u? U can run a VPN server on that.

edit. Maybe not rogue access points as most competently implemented public WiFi networks should deauth any rouge access points broadcasting the same SSID as themselves

Last edited by dryteletubby; 03-01-2019 at 07:24 PM..
Old 03-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

There is no such thing as "should be ok". Without a password on the WiFi network anyone with a laptop running a packet analyzer or a rouge access point can either see unencrypted web traffic or trick you into entering personal info into a fake web page.

Also don't u have a Asus ac88u? U can run a VPN server on that.

edit. Maybe not rogue access points as most competently implemented public WiFi networks should deauth any rouge access points broadcasting the same SSID as themselves
Hotel free wifi do have password issued by the hotel but i still use paid VPN from security app. Yes i can but will it have security loophole if i set up VPN to my router?

Last edited by Henry Ng; 03-01-2019 at 08:42 PM..
Old 03-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #8

Today I read this interesting ARTICLE on the topic: how to get free wifi connection all over the world. Did anyone use the apps mentioned, for example, WiFi you, WiFI map? Do they really work?
For work we use Hotel WiFi and then company VPN. Sometimes use Data tethering from Company mobile phone if there is no WiFi.

For the short trip to China a few weeks ago I used public wifi two times initially and free VPN like Seed4Me and Turbo VPN, later I got a China SIM card and just used the data and only use VPN to bypass GFW for Facebook and Google.

In China there is a very popular app called WiFi 万能钥匙 which I think is a major security risk and I will never use it.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #9

Hotel free wifi do have password issued by the hotel but i still use paid VPN from security app. Yes i can but will it have security loophole if i set up VPN to my router?
Not really secure if it's the same password for everyone.

I don't see why a VPN on your own router will be insecure.
Cirevek67 likes this.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #10

I have to agree with the point that public wifi should never be trusted. I like the idea of the apps mentioned in the article, but only for basic surfing.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

For hotel they issue different password but for my office wifi we issue common password for everyone.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #12

For hotel they issue different password but for my office wifi we issue common password for everyone.
How does a hotel issue different passwords for everyone? Doesn't everybody just connect to a single secured network?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 PM   #13

for me it wont work, you dont stand still during travel and usually you will move a lot. e.g. google maps when finding places.

I get better experience and stress free with:

a) main phone - enable data roaming (e.g. Starhub data travel 3GB $20 valid 30 says)

b) spare phone - buy local sim card with data and set as hotspot (any andriod phone are best for hotspot)

c) use Hotel wifi

warehaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

How does a hotel issue different passwords for everyone? Doesn't everybody just connect to a single secured network?
When check in the hotel counter will issue temporary password of 3 days for each room and they pass me a password receipt. After 3 days the counter will issue another password. Different room has different password. The hotel has a internet kiosk machine to issue password.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 05-01-2019 at 12:37 AM..
Old 07-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #15

for me it wont work, you dont stand still during travel and usually you will move a lot. e.g. google maps when finding places.

I get better experience and stress free with:

a) main phone - enable data roaming (e.g. Starhub data travel 3GB $20 valid 30 says)

b) spare phone - buy local sim card with data and set as hotspot (any andriod phone are best for hotspot)

c) use Hotel wifi
Yeah, this is probably the main/old solution for everybody. I'm just interested in new ways to access wifi while in unfamiliar places.

Of course, I wouldn't even dare to use it without a VPN active.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.