HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Getting Singtel TV to work with Google Wifi Mesh. How?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #1

Getting Singtel TV to work with Google Wifi Mesh. How?

Dear All,

I've never posted messages here before, so if I've broken any rules, please do advise me.

I need help and advice to get my Singtel TV to work. Scenario is as such:

I am using Singtel ISP for both internet & tv. I am unable to run cables from the room where the Singtel ONR & AC Elite Modem is located to my bedroom where the Singtel TV set-top box is located. Without researching properly, i purchased a set of Google Wifi Mesh online.

I connected the Google Mesh to the ONR and Google Mesh works (there's internet connectivity). I placed another Google Mesh in my bedroom and connect the Singtel TV box to the Google Mesh via cable. The Google Mesh in my room is able to link up properly with the primary unit with "Great" mesh connection. However, the Singtel TV box does not work.

Based upon reading different posts on HWZ threads, i vaguely understand that the Singtel TV does not work because Singtel has a different vLan configuration compared to Google Mesh. Some of the forum threads mentioned placing a switch (TPLink SG108E) between ONR and Singtel AC Elite Modem. Connect Singtel AC Elite Modem & Google Mesh to the switch and Singtel TV will work in my bedroom.

Is there anyone who can help to clarify if that method will work?

(I am not IT savvy, so having difficulty resolving this problem of mine. Any assistance is greatly appreciated)
highlander88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Google wifi will not work because you need Bridged mode or ap mode to work. Google wifi itself will run on automatic dhcp mode causing double nat.

However, if you use the singtel wifi mesh, it will work right out of the box when connected to the onr. This is explicitly mentioned in singtel wifi mesh website.

No point adding a managed switch in between because it’s costly, and it wouldnt help in singtel tv because Google wifi itself is the issue..

If you are able to make Google wifi into an ap mode, then it will work.
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Dear All,

Is there anyone who can help to clarify if that method will work?

(I am not IT savvy, so having difficulty resolving this problem of mine. Any assistance is greatly appreciated)
If you want to use mesh with Singtel fibre, use only those that works
eg Samsung Connect Home, AirTies 4920/4930 or Askey AP5100W

Alternatively have multiple APs around your house then this will solve your issue.

Last edited by uncle_josh; 14-10-2018 at 08:12 AM..
uncle_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.