www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   Is it a good time to recontract starhub? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/good-time-recontract-starhub-5990189.html)

krunchie 10-02-2019 09:21 PM

Is it a good time to recontract starhub?

Currently on 1GBPS fibre network and starhub cable TV.

As the support for cable tv will end in 2019.
I'm thinking of changing to the home hub bundle (network+fibre tv 2 set top box).

And if i should get the google wifi x3 router or the linksys EA8100 2600AC.

Is it a good time? please advise.

eric3743 10-02-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunchie (Post 119113937)
Currently on 1GBPS fibre network and starhub cable TV.

As the support for cable tv will end in 2019.
I'm thinking of changing to the home hub bundle (network+fibre tv 2 set top box).

And if i should get the google wifi x3 router or the linksys EA8100 2600AC.

Is it a good time? please advise.

Depend on your family needs to continue watching Starhub TV channels.

Not sure if they provide you with Free fibre broadband when you upgrade from Cable TV to Fibre TV > Submit to Upgrade to Starhub Fibre TV

For having 2 STB (Set top box) which may required a separate ethernet cable trunking refer to picture on > Multiple set-top boxes set-up

However if one STB which may be in the bedroom without data point then may have to consider using > Ethernet Over Coaxial for Fibre TV

Current promotion for HomeHub Plus (1Gbps) is $68.80 with Free 6 months subscription and 6 months HBO Pak beside other free items > HomeHub Plus

On whether to take set of 3 Google Wifi (additional cost involved) or Free Linksys EA8100 it would depend on your flat layout.

Note that it is announced that cable network will cease by end Jun 2019.

krunchie 10-02-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric3743 (Post 119114490)
Depend on your family needs to continue watching Starhub TV channels.

Not sure if they provide you with Free fibre broadband when you upgrade from Cable TV to Fibre TV >

For having 2 STB (Set top box) which may required a separate ethernet cable trunking refer to picture on >

However if one STB which may be in the bedroom without data point then may have to consider using

Current promotion for HomeHub Plus (1Gbps) is $68.80 with Free 6 months subscription and 6 months HBO Pak beside other free items

On whether to take set of 3 Google Wifi (additional cost involved) or Free Linksys EA8100 it would depend on your flat layout.

Note that it is announced that cable network will cease by end Jun 2019.

Thanks for the information.

In my parents room, there isn't any network port but there is an existing set top box.

Is there a difference between using the Ethernet Over Coaxial cable over ethernet cable for the fibre tv?

Will call starhub soon for more information.

uncle_josh 11-02-2019 07:38 AM

You can find the answer here : MoCA Home Network Setup (Ethernet over TV Cable)

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunchie (Post 119116169)

In my parents room, there isn't any network port but there is an existing set top box.

Is there a difference between using the Ethernet Over Coaxial cable over ethernet cable for the fibre tv?

eric3743 11-02-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunchie (Post 119116169)

Starhub original concept for Ethernet Over Coaxial is for Fibre TV as it do not require high connection speed.

But there should not be much differences as other users are using similar method as mentioned in previous post.

For taking Fibre TV they may provide this conversion FREE as part of the package for 1 Free trunking or conversion.

Also they would provide the IP Switch as indicated in the picture on multiple STB(s).

Let Starhub provide most items FREE in the package and do enquire & confirm with them.
And maybe do a layout with pictures on your current situation for them to understand better and provide the whatever needed.

creator88 13-02-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric3743 (Post 119122475)

Also they would provide the IP Switch as indicated in the picture on multiple STB(s).

Will Starhub provide the IP Switch for free?

eric3743 13-02-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creator88 (Post 119164995)

Someone posted on another thread did mentioned Starhub provide this IP Switch but not sure if there is cost involved or not, or on loan.

Just contact Starhub to find out and may depend on case to case to provide free or not.

Henry Ng 13-02-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creator88 (Post 119164995)

Just need to call Starhub to confirm.

chowhong 14-02-2019 04:35 PM

Its free 6 months out of 24 months. Also free HBO for 6 months. No better time to change i guess.

If you had additional starhub box that is required. Will need to do the trunking and it cost S$107 which i opted out. This is just to lay the cat 6 cable from your ONT to your desired room that requires the trunking.

The IP switch then will have to negotiate with starhub by telling them that you already had the additional trunking and only need to configure the IP switch to connect. Else just whack them and say that they just come to plug and play, need to pay S$107.

What i know is that it will provide an IP address from the port 2 of the fiber optic box.

eric3743 14-02-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chowhong (Post 119185135)
Its free 6 months out of 24 months. Also free HBO for 6 months. No better time to change i guess.

If you had additional starhub box that is required. Will need to do the trunking and it cost S$107 which i opted out. This is just to lay the cat 6 cable from your ONT to your desired room that requires the trunking.

The IP switch then will have to negotiate with starhub by telling them that you already had the additional trunking and only need to configure the IP switch to connect. Else just whack them and say that they just come to plug and play, need to pay S$107.

What i know is that it will provide an IP address from the port 2 of the fiber optic box.

The Fibre TV service IP Address is to manage & control your subscribed channels, and including the subscriber address or ONT network.

Unlike Cable STB uses SmartCard and they include address later on.
As decades ago i managed to subscribe & move another Cable STB with SmartCard to another address and able to watch the same.

The IP is available to know & see if you go to the STB settings info & details.

creator88 15-02-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Ng (Post 119168227)
Just need to call Starhub to confirm.

I called Starhub to check.

They confirmed that they will be providing the switch to support the dual set-top box. They mentioned that it will be the Dlink DGS-1005A switch.

Looks like it is an unmanaged switch.

eric3743 15-02-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creator88 (Post 119196850)
I called Starhub to check.

They confirmed that they will be providing the switch to support the dual set-top box. They mentioned that it will be the Dlink DGS-1005A switch.

Looks like it is an unmanaged switch.

Don't required to have managed switch as unmanaged switch is in auto mode detection.

And it is only on ONT Port-2 TV signal with different IP Address &or bandwidth.

There is a limit to up to 4 STB(s) per ONT, and so 5-ports is just enough.

Henry Ng 15-02-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric3743 (Post 119202827)
Don't required to have managed switch as unmanaged switch is in auto mode detection.

And it is only on ONT Port-2 TV signal with different IP Address &or bandwidth.

There is a limit to up to 4 STB(s) per ONT, and so 5-ports is just enough.

Yes can use unmanaged switch.