Google DNS vs openDNS vs ISP DNS

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

My ISP DNS is leaking whether using a free VPN or not. I believe one way to prevent it is to switch to either using Google DNS or openDNS settings. Of course changing the DNS setting or using a paid VPN with DNS leak protection are other choices to prevent DNS leak.

Basing on internet reviews of Google DNS vs openDNS I'm getting mixed results.

I understand the location of the DNS servers play an important part in speeding up the opening of webpages.

So, the question is in Singapore will changing to Google DNS or openDNS settings load my webpage faster say by a few seconds over my ISP DNS? Secondly, how stable are Google DNS, open DNS vs ISP DNS?

Anybody knows whether Google DNS and openDNS servers are located here?

If speed difference is insignificant then would changing the DNS by preventing DNS leak a good choice?

Some info here

http://forums.vr-zone.com/networking-broadband/573470-fastest-domain-name-server-dns-benchmark-tool-measure-it.html

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/next-generation-broadband-network-ngbn-forum-320/anyone-using-opendns-google-dns-4104517.html

Last edited:

jury_pack

Master Member
Reaction score
Speed difference is just milliseconds difference.
Openings have a data center in Singapore, I think Google should also be starting to redirect their dns to Singapore data center also.

When you behind vpn, if the vpn server did not specify dns server ip, when you use Google or opendns, it will connect to the server nearest to the vpn destination. (Eg. Your vpn goes to uk, it will connect to uk Google/ opendns.)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The weird thing is Google DNS they can always get ping down to 8ms.
Opened gets around 20~300ms. Even telco DNS normally its 30~50ms..

Never get such high ping for OpenDNS. Sg is 2 to 8ms.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.