HDB dream internet setup

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm going to do a major renovation to a resale flat I just purchased. As such I'm planning rewire the whole flat.

The flat is a jumbo flat that is around 1900sqft or 176sqm.

I am a tech idiot, but I'd like the best internet setup possible.

There will basically be 3 rooms, 3 toilets, a kitchen, and living/dining areas.

One of the rooms will be my work space, and my fibre point is situated there. In this room, my work computer will be connected by an Ethernet cable for maximum speed. This room will also be where my internet will be split from. This room will be a floated room, meaning it's a room built within a room with double air lock doors and 2 layers of double glazed glass, for soundproofing purposes, so radio signals might find it difficult to get in or out.

In my living room and master bedroom, I also want a computer at each location to be hard wired for maximum speed.

The rest of the house needs to have fast wifi.

How would you guys set it up given the opportunity to do anything and everything possible?

Hoping to learn from esteemed shifu's here!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If possible, do provide a layout of your house.
Also to include any other settings, such as tables, current power and cable points, and any other planning you have already fixed.
In other word, the layout and planning of fixed items as in beds, cupboards and any structure obstruction.

How about which ISP(s) you have intend to subscribe to as other may give you their opinion including routers and hubs, if any.

In this way others able to understand better and provide some ideas for you.
Beside, what sort of connections you need, such as wireless required in the rooms or not; and location of data points which should be next to power points x2 &or extension power cord.

For example, my new BTO flat is having thick walls, so wireless is a big issue in my rooms.
Even with wired data points in my room, i have a Hub to connect to both computer and additional wired to router to act as wireless.
Beside i am using Starhub HomeHub 1000 with IPTV in my room with an additional data point, which was not in my renovation, but the installer did a conversion from telephone point to data point.

Regards.

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
A floor plan would be helpful. But sound like you need at least 2 wireless access point.

Any cost control? Like wouldn't wanna spend more then $300 for the whole setup?

Any requirements other than access social media (Fb, WhatsApp) . Like media box, access to China or US hbo/Netflix?

How many user?

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Here's the floor plan:

@eric3743:

Basically, everything is open to planning now.

In my work room, that's where the fibre (Singnet) point will be. So the modem/main router/switch will need to be there. My work computer in here needs to be connected via hard wire (not wifi).

In there living room, where my TV console is, I need an ethernet point there for connecting a Mac Mini, which will be connected to my TV.

In my master bedroom, another Mac Mini connected to my bedroom TV needs to be hard wired as well.

Other than that, the whole house needs to have effective wifi.

Currently, in my place (HDB maisonette), I'm using the router that Singnet gave me (AC Plus I think), and IT SUCKS. I can't get coverage throughout the house.

@sadboy:
No cost control. I just want good internet. I live alone. However, it is a work space, and hence I will often have clients there. I'm thinking max 10 people using at the same time surfing on their phones.

@alamakazim:
I'm planning on having ethernet point in every room.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First on your issue statements.
-------------------
Post #5. Currently, in my place (HDB maisonette), I'm using the router that Singnet gave me (AC Plus I think), and IT SUCKS. I can't get coverage throughout the house.

Post #1. This room will be a floated room, meaning it's a room built within a room with double air lock doors and 2 layers of double glazed glass, for soundproofing purposes, so radio signals might find it difficult to get in or out.

Result is the conflict as stated, so the wireless is only for this room.
===========

Since your Fibre Terminal Point (TP) is already situated in Work room.
The Main Router should be also next to the ONT connect to TP.
And all the LAN cables are to be start from this Work room as it has access to ONT & Router main.

Do use LAN cable Cat-7, if possible for all the wiring concern, although Cat-6 is acceptable, but you are using your house as Home Business.

All the 3 rooms + Living room = 4 Data Points for Internet.
For the data point in the bedrooms, it is best to put near to table for use with computer, for easy access.
The Living room Data Point is best situated on the outside wall of the center bedroom (2400 x 3950) as this is suitable for wireless router placement.
As for the bedroom receiving wireless signal, it depend on the thickness of the wall, that is why it is at/near the wall &or door.

You may need a wireless AC Router to be connected to the Data point outside the center bedroom.
Connection is either to WAN or LAN port of the Router, depend on your router and type of setting you prefer.
I use data point wired to WAN port of Router, as the LAN port of the router can also be usable.
For more info on which to use, you can search the difference between WAN and LAN port (may known as bridge) of Router.

You can include another Data Point for IPTV for both Master bedroom and Living room; optional for future use.

Should there be not enough of LAN ports, you can consider to get a 8-ports, or more, Gigabit Easy Desktop Switch which will auto detect.

Regards.

BabyTurkey

Reaction score
1) If you're starting with a clean slate, aim for wired connections for all devices as far as possible. Don't forget that the only benefit of wireless is mobility. It will be inferior to wired connections in every other way. So think where you will most likely need wireless connections (usually bedrooms and living room) and place wireless APs there (with wired connections back to the main router/switch)

2) What material is used for your sound-proof room? Wireless radio signals are electromagnetic waves (unlike sound which is a mechanical wave). Radio signals can propagate through glass easily, but not cement or metal. If you only have a glass wall, it should not difficult for wireless signals to get through.

Apex

Reaction score
I think your layout not too bad... You can either setup a AP at either Point X1 or X2.

Should give you a good coverage. within your house.

M73erVn.jpg

Can consider Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO. (The AP do not have Web interface, you need to install a controller on your MAC/Windows/Smartphone to configure).

pretty easy to configure and had a strong wifi coverage. Since you are renovating can run a cable and mount the AP up.

a1791d27-ffc7-4a92-b39a-c75cafa97f60.s_400-w-fs_s.jpg.webp

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

*I am not sell the AP or the link this is only for an idea the cost of the AP.

http://www.lazada.sg/ubiquiti-uap-a....brand-24628.0.0.eR1T2A&ff=1&sc=MTRg&rb=24628

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/UBIQUITI-UBIQUITI-UNIFI-AP-AC-PRO-UAP-AC-PRO/486578586

https://shop.winpro.com.sg/products/unifi-ap-ac-pro

Last edited:

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
First on your issue statements.
-------------------
Post #5. Currently, in my place (HDB maisonette), I'm using the router that Singnet gave me (AC Plus I think), and IT SUCKS. I can't get coverage throughout the house.

Post #1. This room will be a floated room, meaning it's a room built within a room with double air lock doors and 2 layers of double glazed glass, for soundproofing purposes, so radio signals might find it difficult to get in or out.

Result is the conflict as stated, so the wireless is only for this room.
The masionette is my current house. The house I am renovating is the house that I will be moving into in a few month's time.

Since your Fibre Terminal Point (TP) is already situated in Work room.
The Main Router should be also next to the ONT connect to TP.
And all the LAN cables are to be start from this Work room as it has access to ONT & Router main.

Do use LAN cable Cat-7, if possible for all the wiring concern, although Cat-6 is acceptable, but you are using your house as Home Business.
Ok, I will do that!

All the 3 rooms + Living room = 4 Data Points for Internet.
For the data point in the bedrooms, it is best to put near to table for use with computer, for easy access.
The Living room Data Point is best situated on the outside wall of the center bedroom (2400 x 3950) as this is suitable for wireless router placement.
As for the bedroom receiving wireless signal, it depend on the thickness of the wall, that is why it is at/near the wall &or door.

You may need a wireless AC Router to be connected to the Data point outside the center bedroom.
Connection is either to WAN or LAN port of the Router, depend on your router and type of setting you prefer.
I use data point wired to WAN port of Router, as the LAN port of the router can also be usable.
For more info on which to use, you can search the difference between WAN and LAN port (may known as bridge) of Router.

You can include another Data Point for IPTV for both Master bedroom and Living room; optional for future use.

Should there be not enough of LAN ports, you can consider to get a 8-ports, or more, Gigabit Easy Desktop Switch which will auto detect.

Regards.
I'll pull a cable at the middle spot where you mentioned. I may or may not need it as the living area is quite open, and I'm thinking of a 3-node mesh system like a Velop. But it's there if I do.

I'm thinking of a 16-port gigabit switch? 8 seems on the edge of not enough in case I want to add anymore in the future.

Do you think a PoE switch is a necessary? Right now, I can't think of anything that I would need it for.

Thanks for you advice!

Last edited:

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
1) If you're starting with a clean slate, aim for wired connections for all devices as far as possible. Don't forget that the only benefit of wireless is mobility. It will be inferior to wired connections in every other way. So think where you will most likely need wireless connections (usually bedrooms and living room) and place wireless APs there (with wired connections back to the main router/switch)

2) What material is used for your sound-proof room? Wireless radio signals are electromagnetic waves (unlike sound which is a mechanical wave). Radio signals can propagate through glass easily, but not cement or metal. If you only have a glass wall, it should not difficult for wireless signals to get through.
Yes, I will have my work room, living room and master bedroom computers hard wired. Wifi is mainly for mobile devices and things like aircon, doorbell (Ring camera doorbell)...

Good point about the material of the sound proof room. I will replace the facing wall of the work room replaced with double layers of double-glazed glass. So it might not be that bad. The work room in my current flat is concrete walled.

Thanks!

Last edited:

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
I think your layout not too bad... You can either setup a AP at either Point X1 or X2.

Should give you a good coverage. within your house.

M73erVn.jpg

Can consider Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO. (The AP do not have Web interface, you need to install a controller on your MAC/Windows/Smartphone to configure).

pretty easy to configure and had a strong wifi coverage. Since you are renovating can run a cable and mount the AP up.

a1791d27-ffc7-4a92-b39a-c75cafa97f60.s_400-w-fs_s.jpg.webp

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

*I am not sell the AP or the link this is only for an idea the cost of the AP.

http://www.lazada.sg/ubiquiti-uap-a....brand-24628.0.0.eR1T2A&ff=1&sc=MTRg&rb=24628

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/UBIQUITI-UBIQUITI-UNIFI-AP-AC-PRO-UAP-AC-PRO/486578586

https://shop.winpro.com.sg/products/unifi-ap-ac-pro
Thanks!

I'm am considering the AP, as well as the Velop, Google Wifi and similar mesh type wifi devices.

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Singtel fiber don't know can connect Velop or not (Not sure that support vlan). Your singtel fiber is got VLAN?

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Singtel fiber don't know can connect Velop or not (Not sure that support vlan). Your singtel fiber is got VLAN?
I also dunno.

I thought it's very simple? Connect the modem to a Velop and that's it?

Fibre point > modem > Velop > gigabit switch > multiple points spread over the rest of the house

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also dunno.

Fibre point > modem > Velop > gigabit switch > multiple points spread over the rest of the house

velop does not support vlan. so to use velop, you need a router from singtel or a 3rd party router supporting vlan..

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also dunno.

I did a research on this Velop device which is from Linksys, but as it is just a similar to what was mentioned by @Apex on Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO.

Hence you still required:

TP /ONT > Router "Linksys" > gigabit switch > multiple points > Velop for most probably in the Living room, as stated.

In this way, the other rooms should able to receive wireless signal.
Whereas the Router inside Work room should able to cater for wireless within.

For Router and if you intend to use Velop from Linksys, then you could look at those Linksys Routers.
This is to enable for compatible and if should there be an issue, Linksys should able to tweet it for you as you are using fully their devices.
You could write to them to see if there can provide more info and what sort of pricing they could give you, rather thru Retail.
Even they can direct to their official retailers instead on you picking from other retailers which no promoter to show you on hands, demo with explanation on the products.
As it is most important to find out more in detail, either on hands or info, before you make the final decision on the actual devices itself.

As i am using DLink-DIR868L so i am unable to comment on Linksys products.

Regards.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The masionette is my current house. The house I am renovating is the house that I will be moving into in a few month's time.

I'll pull a cable at the middle spot where you mentioned. I may or may not need it as the living area is quite open, and I'm thinking of a 3-node mesh system like a Velop. But it's there if I do.

I'm thinking of a 16-port gigabit switch? 8 seems on the edge of not enough in case I want to add anymore in the future.

Do you think a PoE switch is a necessary? Right now, I can't think of anything that I would need it for.

Thanks for you advice!

Yes, using with power is one major factor to have an independent power source than to rely on other equipment which do limit to the device itself.

As i am using 8-port with the power supply as part of the package.

For power supply, do take note that you need to ensure it do have "Surge Protector" as most devices are on 24/7.
If not, in the long term may affect the performance and the likely to fail is higher.
All my devices and equipment including computers are using Extension cord with Surge Protectors for several decades.
None of the devices have any failure rate, even a router able to last 2.5 years.
Also do not that power point do not have surge protector, hence extension cords & multi-plugs do play a role and note on the max power supply it can support to.
Most power points are come in pair with thick wires inside.

Ensure there are Power points next to the Data points too.

Regards.

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Eric.

Yes, the equipment in my work room have been running off Furman power conditioners for the last few decades. I've had no problems so far as well.

It makes logical sense to have power points at every data point. I will definitely do that.

I'm not tied to the Velop either. I'm just exploring options now.

I just spoke to my brother who does sales for lighting systems for large commercial projects (like airports and hotels) and he suggested I should Zigbee my house too (he says Zigbee is child's play for large projects but great for a small house). I have no idea what that is but the way he's describing it, it seems very interesting...

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@wahjohreno

Have you consider to include a Personal Cloud Storage.
As i have one Seagate 3TB and the connection is using LAN cable only.
There is an additional one USB 3.0 Port for other device, ex Printer.
For Printer, there are also LAN &or wireless type beside standard USB port.

As you are using Home Business, suggest you do consider at least one storage.
Get a Network type as it can connect directly to the LAN port and able to access within the your network internally.

Whereas for On-the-Go there are free storage, as an additional.
Do consider external Backup HDD for storage of important data & files.

Include AV and Internet Security software to prevent malware and other type virus.
I am using Panda Internet Security software and SUPERAntiSpyware, both licence.
The Panda more on website security breach and Superantispyware for malware & cookies, etc.
Just an ideal and example.

This is part of network and security matters.

Regards.

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Great suggestion Eric.

Right now I'm simply using Dropbox (I have a 1TB account) and that syncs across all my devices.

But having an internal networked drive would add much convenience if I'm doing stuff outside of my work room.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@wahjohreno

You may have to start to prepare on what you need and want.

ISP.
Have you already sign-up with Singtel and what is the plan and equipment.
Today i picked up a Singtel brochure and the Fibre Broadband 1Gbps at $49.90 with free wireless dual-band AC router.
Also there are several options including the Linksys Velop with 3 devices at $30 /mth for 24 months Or 1 AirTies at $10 /mth for 24 mths, which both can be purchase upfront.
There is also a SmartHome with Door Lock and motion sensor camera.
Suggest you pick the brochure for more info and certain T&C.

If you are moving the Fibre Broadband from your existing house, there is a re-allocation cost which, for Starhub is $107, as other ISP(s) depend.

Router.
Should you prefer to get another router yourself, you may need to do some homework, as i cannot comment on Singtel.
Method.
1. Create a thread to all Singtel customers here on their opinion, as there are some threads on this too.
In this way, you may get a better response as more specific, not on this thread, which is more in details.
This is like to spread and gather more from other sources &or threads, on 1 particular item or issue per thread.
Another thread solely on Best Routers to get, example.

2. You can find out more from neighbors on the Singtel fibre broadband connection, optional, which may not have good response.

3. Check out at other forums for routers in general.

4. As i do have spare DLink routers, you may also can consider to test, especially to see if it is suitable to your usage.
But don't forget the wall thickness, as only new BTO flats may have slight issue but should not be a problem as only 1 wall, wifi to inside the room.
My DIR-868L with Starhub firmware, but should not be an issue as i am using as bridge to WAN port of router, not the main router connect to the ONT & TP.

Do find out more on the Hub, as you may also can request your brother to assist you on this.
As he may have some connection &or friends, involved in the network setup.
Beside, he can be a great help to you.

Regards.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.