HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help improving WiFi speeds on Velop network

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

Help improving WiFi speeds on Velop network

Hi All,

Tried trawling through the threads here, but didn't find anything specific so thought would start a thread. Apologies if I should've posted this in another thread.

I have a Singtel 1gb connection with a Huawei HG8240T5 ONR. This is connected to the master Velop node with additional 5 nodes spread around the house (yes, might be overkill but had 6, so decided to use all of them...). The Velop is the AC2200 tri band system. Apt is 2350sqft

As of right now, the ONR has it's DHCP on as does my Velop. However the only WiFi is from the Velop so there is generally no clash. A few questions to the Gurus here (and thanks in advance for the gyan/advice).

1. Is my network setup optimal? I can't find any way of setting my ONR in bridge mode, and I am hesitant to set up the Velop in bridge mode (might be too painful). The Velop gets 950+mbps on it's connection so I am guessing it's not bad

2. On the main Velop node - using my phone, I get ~500+mbps. However, my TV - which is placed a few feet from the node manages only 120mbps, which I find odd. It's is perfectly serviceable, but still a question mark.

3. Inside the house, I have my PC setup. One node is placed next to the PC for only the PC to use (Connected wired). I get speeds of ~350mbps on this which is serviceable again, but I would ideally like to improve upon this. I have tried introducing a node between the parent (sitting in the living room) and my PC Connector and tried to use that to bounce the signal, but the PC connector always steers itself to the living room

To add, I have done the following

1. Using Cat6 cables (got them free )
2. DHCP reservations for all devices
3. Lease time to 60 minutes

Any advice on how (if) I can optimise my network further will be much appreciated.

Cheers and many thanks in advance.

TC
timechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #2

1. Is my network setup optimal? I can't find any way of setting my ONR in bridge mode, and I am hesitant to set up the Velop in bridge mode (might be too painful). The Velop gets 950+mbps on it's connection so I am guessing it's not bad
Its fine to leave it that way. It will just cause double NAT, which some users do not like. VPN and some online gaming could be affected.

2. On the main Velop node - using my phone, I get ~500+mbps. However, my TV - which is placed a few feet from the node manages only 120mbps, which I find odd. It's is perfectly serviceable, but still a question mark.
Most likely, your TV can only connect to the 2.4ghz band (which is slower speeds). Most IOT devices are using older/cheaper network cards which don't support 5ghz band.

3. Inside the house, I have my PC setup. One node is placed next to the PC for only the PC to use (Connected wired). I get speeds of ~350mbps on this which is serviceable again, but I would ideally like to improve upon this. I have tried introducing a node between the parent (sitting in the living room) and my PC Connector and tried to use that to bounce the signal, but the PC connector always steers itself to the living room
Speeds are dependent on whether the node has a direct line of sight with another node. If you have walls/doors/furniture/other obstructions blocking it, it would reduce the wifi strengths between the nodes (wireless backhaul) & speeds. To get max speeds, only way is to use wired backhaul.
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #3

Thank you sir. On the double NAT - generally when I am using ExpressVPN for anything (TV, surfing), it hasn't shown any issues. And no one is into gaming in the house so that isn't an issues as well.

Thank you for the response. For now my primary goal is to hopefully achieve a better speed at my work PC
Old 24-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
Master Member

whats your PC specs ..?

have you tried tweaking and checking if your network LAN card is the bottle neck..?

there are couple of tuning software, however main thing is if the pc, could you connect via LAN on to the main Velop Node ?

from there will have better engagment
Old 27-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #5

Hi. My Lan card is capable of 1gbps - I checked. If I plug my laptop into the main VELOP router, I get ~1gbps. I don't have stuff hardwired where my work desk is located so trying to optimise my wifi.

I will try and test more things and report back.

thanks a lot
Old 29-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Master Member

Hi. My Lan card is capable of 1gbps - I checked. If I plug my laptop into the main VELOP router, I get ~1gbps. I don't have stuff hardwired where my work desk is located so trying to optimise my wifi.

I will try and test more things and report back.

thanks a lot

1) test LAN from computer to directly the Router's LAN port [ not the blue WAN ] first velop from the ONT [ optical network port ]

2) test LAN directly to the 2nd node [ just to see if the connection is as slow as the wlan ]

3) test connecting Velop [ 1st node , which is directly hooked to your ISP fiber modem ] -----> LAN cable to Velop 2nd node ----> Lan cable from 2nd Velop Node to your computer and test.

this should give a rough idea :

- if its signal between the nodes
- degrading node [ rare but possible ]
- something else which ive no clue at the moment.

For the Velop node, to gain the best possible speed and connectivity, have them line up in line-of sight : aka the two Velop can physically see each other if they have eyes on them
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.