HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help needed on Singtel broadband wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #1

Help needed on Singtel broadband wiring

Experts out there,

My flat is wired, but LAN patch panel and fibre point is in the utility room. Does that mean I need to leave ONT as well as Singtel router in there too in order to make use of the pre-laid ethernet cables in various room? I notice ONT has 4 LAN ports, can I link each ports to patch panel, so that I can use the LAN port in each room?
Xueqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Experts out there,

My flat is wired, but LAN patch panel and fibre point is in the utility room. Does that mean I need to leave ONT as well as Singtel router in there too in order to make use of the pre-laid ethernet cables in various room? I notice ONT has 4 LAN ports, can I link each ports to patch panel, so that I can use the LAN port in each room?
doubt you can use the ONT lan ports, LAN1 should go to ur router... then your router 4 ports can go to "other rooms"....
Old 27-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Experts out there,

For new customer they normally issue ONR.

Anyway ONT only port 1 is working. All lan point in utility room should be connect to the router

ONT > Router > LAN port to room.
Old 27-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #4

Experts out there,

Yup, ont > router > (add switch if need more ports) > patch panel.
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #5

For new customer they normally issue ONR.

Anyway ONT only port 1 is working. All lan point in utility room should be connect to the router

ONT > Router > LAN port to room.
Then can I disable WiFi on Singtel router? How do I use the telephone port if I place the phone in the living room
Old 28-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

Then can I disable WiFi on Singtel router? How do I use the telephone port if I place the phone in the living room
Yes you can.

ONT -- SingTel wireless router (both in DB box)

SingTel router ports -- patch panel -- each room.

But then you will need to add APs, for example, one in the living room, and more APs in other room if required.

As for phone, you can use cordless phone.

Last edited by xiaofan; 28-07-2020 at 09:14 AM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

If using another powerful wireless AP than u can disable singtel wifi router.

As for telephone port. You can connect RJ11 (telephone) into the RJ45 point. So your LAN port at living room would become a telephone point. (I have nv try to do that before because nobody using Landline at home)

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...r-3555939.html

as above.
Old 28-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #8

If using another powerful wireless AP than u can disable singtel wifi router.

As for telephone port. You can connect RJ11 (telephone) into the RJ45 point. So your LAN port at living room would become a telephone point. (I have nv try to do that before because nobody using Landline at home)

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...r-3555939.html

as above.
Really? Not tried before. Can I use LAN port for telephone? Need to confirm this before signing Singtel contact
Old 28-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #9

Yes you can.

ONT -- SingTel wireless router (both in DB box)

SingTel router ports -- patch panel -- each room.

But then you will need to add APs, for example, one in the living room, and more APs in other room if required.

As for phone, you can use cordless phone.
Cordless phone? Meaning I have to get those paired one, leaving one in the utility room?
Old 28-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

Cordless phone? Meaning I have to get those paired one, leaving one in the utility room?
Something like the cordless phones from Panasonic, or other brands.
https://www.panasonic.com/sg/consume...ones-dect.html

Leave the base unit outside but near to the DB box. Then you have have one or two handsets to use anywhere in the house.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.