How to achieve close to 1Gbps?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Can run this ? Sometimes I use this to compare to the Windows Speedtest.

Step 1 Download the SpeedTest zip here https://github.com/taganaka/SpeedTest and unzip it to c:\temp\Speedtest folder
-unzip to c:\temp\speedtest folder

Step 2 Turn “Windows Subsystem for Linux” and click on “OK”
Capture9.jpg

You will need to perform a reboot .

Step 3 Go to microsoft store Get ubuntu 18.04
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ubuntu-1804-lts/9n9tngvndl3q?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Step 4 Compile your Speedtest client
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential libcurl4-openssl-dev libxml2-dev libssl-dev cmake
$ git clone https://github.com/taganaka/SpeedTest
$ cd /mnt/c/temp/speedtest
$ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release .
$ sudo make install
```

Step 5 Run the speedtest
Run this command ".\Speedtest.h --share" for each of the below scenario
1. Ont ->Desktop
2. Ont -> Router 1 ->Desktop
3. Ont -> Router 2 -> Desktop
4. Ont -> Router 1-> Router 2 -> Desktop
Post the 3 screenshot or url at the end of the test.
This program will saturate your bandwidth quickly.

Any more ideas for testing, please let me know... appreciate everyone's ideas and suggestions... special thanks for Hafi, Uncle Josh, albertlee, HenryNg among those who have taken time to help me troubleshoot...

Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea! I just did the following using your suggestions... all the reported speeds are via LAN cables and the laptop uses a USB3.0-Gigabit ethernet adapter...

so in conclusion I saw from your tests, there nothing wrong with your ISP or setup at all. The bottleneck is your USB3.0-ethernet adapter as mentioned earlier so in this case you can just use it with Wifi since it gives much better speed than LAN. Anyway aren't laptop supposed to go with Wifi since it is portable? :)

I will take the 650Mbps download speed anytime but if the tech from StarHub knows what causes the problem and solve else I will not nitpick further and make do with the speed. Nothing is perfect so long your Internet surfing experience is not compromised or throttled to a stage of unusable 650 down/950 up is considered optimal already. ;)

I know you want to get what you paid for but let me tell you all these 1Gbps advertised speed are just marketing gimmick that most of the time you don't utilized the 1/2 the speed. Why? It is advertised as local speed (check the disclaimer) and you won't hit even 500Mbps on oversea servers most of the time. :(

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know you want to get what you paid for but let me tell you all these 1Gbps advertised speed are just marketing gimmick that most of the time you don't utilized the 1/2 the speed. Why? It is advertised as local speed (check the disclaimer) and you won't hit even 500Mbps on oversea servers most of the time. :(

I did get 1000MBps when I tested myrepublic in 2013. After a few years speed drop a lot. Now I get slower plan instead of 1000MBps because it can reach or sometimes exceed the advertised speed

robolee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did get 1000MBps when I tested myrepublic in 2013. After a few years speed drop a lot. Now I get slower plan instead of 1000MBps because it can reach or sometimes exceed the advertised speed

ikr now barely getting 700mbps on my 1gbps

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Smart choice, even if you get the advertised 1Gbps speed on your Fibre network consistently (which some of the users here do), it is maintained within the local (Singapore) network only. You won't get the full 1Gbps bandwidth once you are out of the country connecting to oversea servers because everyone else (including M1, StuckHub, MyRepublic, ViewQuest etc...) are sharing the same Internet Exchange (STiX) backbone which belongs to SingTel.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so in conclusion I saw from your tests, there nothing wrong with your ISP or setup at all. The bottleneck is your USB3.0-ethernet adapter as mentioned earlier so in this case you can just use it with Wifi since it gives much better speed than LAN. Anyway aren't laptop supposed to go with Wifi since it is portable? :)

I will take the 650Mbps download speed anytime but if the tech from StarHub knows what causes the problem and solve else I will not nitpick further and make do with the speed. Nothing is perfect so long your Internet surfing experience is not compromised or throttled to a stage of unusable 650 down/950 up is considered optimal already. ;)

I see... thank you for the long write-up... very helpful indeed... yes I generally find that my surfing speed and download speed on the desktop is very fast... but the laptop or my mobile devices pale in comparison... although I must say that after the reboot from the Starhub side, the network seems faster... thanks for your time bro! Much appreciated...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I see... yes when MyRepublic first came online, they were known for fast internet... but I didn't bite then... oh well... I guess unless the pipe gets bigger, we can't go faster...

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see... yes when MyRepublic first came online, they were known for fast internet... but I didn't bite then... oh well... I guess unless the pipe gets bigger, we can't go faster...

Actually if the website server has limited capacity it will control the traffic and throttle each person who visit the site.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok guys... update time...

The Starhub guy came along and tested the connection directly from the ONT:
Starhub Test Config: ONT ---> Starhub Laptop (via Starhub LAN cable)
Download speed: 600+ Mbps
Upload speed: 900+ Mbps

In essence, he's gotten the same speed as my desktop directly connected to the ONT. Apparently 600+ isn't the best or acceptable. And it seems that my ONT accumulates multiple IP addresses and that seems to be causing the slowdown. T hey did a flush and then the same thing occurred...

He swapped the ONT out for a brand new one... tested again (apparently the new ONT has only 1 IP address)

Starhub Test Config: ONT ---> Starhub Laptop (via Starhub LAN cable)
Download speed: 1000.28 Mbps
Upload speed: 998 Mbps

So all is good again...

Next I got him to test my laptop with his cable and this was the result:
Test Config 1 : ONT ---> Laptop (via Starhub LAN cable)
Download speed: 500+ Mbps

Then I swapped to my cable and this was the result:
Test Config 2 : ONT ---> Laptop (via my LAN cable)
Download speed: 500+ Mbps

So the bottleneck is really my D-Link USB3.0-ethernet adapter. Should I return it? Or is it acceptable?

Next I proceeded to test on my own...

Test Config 3 : ONT ---> Wall Point ---> Desktop

Test Config 4 : ONT ---> Router 1 ---> Wall Point ---> Router 2 ---> Desktop

Test Config 5 : ONT ---> Router 1 ---> Wall Point ---> Laptop (via USB-ethernet adapter)
Left USB port: Download speed: 500+ Mbps; Upload speed: 800+ Mbps
Right USB port: Download speed: 700+ Mbps; Upload speed: 900+ Mbps

Test Config 6 : ONT ---> Router 1 ---> Wall Point ---> Router 2 ---> Laptop (via USB-ethernet adapter)
Left USB port: Download speed: 700+ Mbps; Upload speed: 900+ Mbps
Right USB port: Download speed: 500+ Mbps; Upload speed: 900+ Mbps

Test Config 7 : ONT ---> Router 1 ---> Wall Point ---> Laptop (via USB-C to USB-A adapter + USB-ethernet adapter)
Download speed: 300+ Mbps
Upload speed: 300+ Mbps
Note: USB-C to USB-A adapter from my Samsung Galaxy Note8 mobile phone accessories

Some observations:

1. My D-Link USB3.0-Gigabit ethernet Adapter is throttling the connection to my laptop. But I don't really use it at home... it was purchased for testing purposes cos my work environment is limited to 100 Mbps only.

2. My cables and wired network seem ok, performing as specced.

3. My desktop figures for Test Config 3 & 4 are closer to 700+ Mbps DOWN as compared to before... may not be significant or it may be so... could just be random sampling...

4. My laptop is clocking at 400+ Mbps on the 5GHz band... Starhub tech says 200-300 Mbps par for the Linksys EA8100...

5. My Samsung Galaxy Note8 is also clocking in at 300+ Mbps on the 5GHz band... so I guess, that's that lar...

So I guess that ends my quest for getting the speeds that I am paying for... totally understand that there are limitations of equipment and losses along the transmissions plus having to share the data pipeline in my block with everyone, etc...

Thank you so so much everyone for your contribution and help! I have really learnt a lot in this troubleshooting process...

Eh... no charge from Starhub cos they changed the modem... hahaha... that's the icing on the cake to go with overall faster speeds now...

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Good. Finally you got it resolved.

Sent from 今天工作不努力, 明天努力找工作 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.