HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to setup non VLAN supported router with Singtel ONT

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By miloaisdino

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #1

Unhappy How to setup non VLAN supported router with Singtel ONT

Recently bought a new router + extender combo to improve my wifi coverage at home. I'm subscribed to Singtel 500 Mbps plan (have Singtel TV but I don't need it) and have an ONT and AC Elite (AC1900).

While installing or trying to configure, I realized the internet won't work because the new router does not support VLAN tagging function (stupid of me, never did my research and didn't even know about this VLAN stuff until now) So far after researching and reading other threads, I probably can't do away with the AC Elite due to the VLAN tagging and my knowledge on networking is mediocre or just 'plug and play' at best.

Hence looking for solutions on what's the best possible way to get the best setup and speed with the situation now? This is some ideas I see floating around the forum

1) Configure AC Elite into bridge mode (not sure how and is it even possible???) to let the new router do the routing work or something like that? ONT > AC Elite (Bridge) > New Router + Extender
2) Buy and use a managed switch (not sure what this is???) between ONT and the new router. ONT > Switch > New Router + Extender
3) Just relegate the new router as an AP and let the AC Elite do the routing work (I think worst possible solution since the new router functionalities etc are not utilized) ONT > AC Elite (Router) > New Router + Extender (AP)
4) Just throw away the new router and buy a compatible one with VLAN tagging

Any help or input will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited by gladiator175; 15-03-2019 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: more info
gladiator175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Recently bought a new router + extender combo (D-Link COVR3902) to improve my wifi coverage at home. I'm subscribed to Singtel 500 Mbps plan (have Singtel TV but I don't need it) and have an ONT and AC Elite (AC1900).

While installing or trying to configure, I realized the internet won't work because the new router does not support VLAN tagging function (stupid of me, never did my research and didn't even know about this VLAN stuff until now) So far after researching and reading other threads, I probably can't do away with the AC Elite due to the VLAN tagging and my knowledge on networking is mediocre or just 'plug and play' at best.

Hence looking for solutions on what's the best possible way to get the best setup and speed with the situation now? This is some ideas I see floating around the forum

1) Configure AC Elite into bridge mode (not sure how and is it even possible???) to let the new router do the routing work or something like that? ONT > AC Elite (Bridge) > New Router + Extender
2) Buy and use a managed switch (not sure what this is???) between ONT and the new router. ONT > Switch > New Router + Extender
3) Just relegate the new router as an AP and let the AC Elite do the routing work (I think worst possible solution since the new router functionalities etc are not utilized) ONT > AC Elite (Router) > New Router + Extender (AP)

Thanks!
option 3 is the best in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Recently bought a new router + extender combo (D-Link COVR3902) to improve my wifi coverage at home. I'm subscribed to Singtel 500 Mbps plan (have Singtel TV but I don't need it) and have an ONT and AC Elite (AC1900).

Thanks!
I do not think it is VLAN related. Basically, the connection from ONT (LAN1) will go into your D-Link router WAN1. That's about it. Connect devices to the LAN1-4 ports on your D-Link router and set up the extender to pair with the router. You don't even need to use the AC1900. For home networks, you would want to make sure everything is in the SAME vlan so that all devices will be able to access the internet gateway (router).
habeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

option 3 is the best in my opinion.
Are options 1 and 2 possible? Willing to go through the trouble since money already spent on buying it

And for the new router to function as AP, I should:
Disable DHCP on my new router
Set static IP on my new router
Connect LAN-LAN to the AC Elite
Then disable wifi signal and SSID of the AC Elite?
Will the speed or bandwidth be then bottlenecked to only AC1900 caused by the AC Elite doing the routing?

Last edited by gladiator175; 15-03-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

I do not think it is VLAN related. Basically, the connection from ONT (LAN1) will go into your D-Link router WAN1. That's about it. Connect devices to the LAN1-4 ports on your D-Link router and set up the extender to pair with the router. You don't even need to use the AC1900. For home networks, you would want to make sure everything is in the SAME vlan so that all devices will be able to access the internet gateway (router).
That was what I did exactly but it won't connect to the internet. As far as I read, it's due to the VLAN tagging of the Singtel ONT (Port 1).

I can only manage to get it working when I connect the D-link router (WAN Port) to AC Elite (LAN Port) with little to no configuration and I'm pretty sure I'm not setting this up properly
Old 12-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

That was what I did exactly but it won't connect to the internet. As far as I read, it's due to the VLAN tagging of the Singtel ONT (Port 1).

I can only manage to get it working when I connect the D-link router (WAN Port) to AC Elite (LAN Port) with little to no configuration and I'm pretty sure I'm not setting this up properly
You're right, seems like they only enable Port 1 for WAN and it has vlan tagging. Are you certain your router doesn't have vlan tagging? You can always plug into the router directly (without wan connection) and see what options you have in the router menu.
habeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

You're right, seems like they only enable Port 1 for WAN and it has vlan tagging. Are you certain your router doesn't have vlan tagging? You can always plug into the router directly (without wan connection) and see what options you have in the router menu.
Yes very certain it has no VLAN settings or whatsoever.

But am I setting it up right by doing this?

ONT (Port 1) > AC Elite (WAN Port) and then AC Elite (LAN Port) > D-link (WAN Port)

Seems to work without having to do any complicated configuration, but not sure if I'm creating more ''obstacles'' in my network?

Or is there a better way to network them?

Last edited by gladiator175; 15-03-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #8

I suggest buying a cheap managed switch eg tplink tl-sg105e to detag all the vlan10 traffic. This would allow your dlink to obtain a public ip instead of double nat through the singtel provided router.

Also, your model of dlink router supports vlan tagging. There is no need for managed switch or singtel router. Pls refer to your user manual for instructions.
gladiator175 likes this.

Last edited by miloaisdino; 12-03-2019 at 06:41 PM..
miloaisdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #9

I suggest buying a cheap managed switch eg tplink tl-sg105e to detag all the vlan10 traffic. This would allow your dlink to obtain a public ip instead of double nat through the singtel provided router.

Also, your model of dlink router supports vlan tagging. There is no need for managed switch or singtel router. Pls refer to your user manual for instructions.

Thanks for the recommendation
So with this managed switch TPLink TL-SG105E i can get rid of the singtel router?

Last edited by gladiator175; 15-03-2019 at 04:02 PM..
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #10

According to the FAQ from D-Link, the router in the kit is DIR-883 (the extender part is DAP-1655) and it does not support VLan (Q18, page 40, dated 14 Sept 2017).
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #11

Thanks for the recommendation
So with this managed switch TPLink TL-SG105E i can get rid of the singtel router?
Ref here. It is not a managed switch per se but rather unmanaged smart switch with vlan support.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...e-5746952.html

Last edited by xiaofan; Yesterday at 10:27 AM..
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM   #12

Yes very certain it has no VLAN settings or whatsoever.

But am I setting it up right by doing this?

ONT (Port 1) > AC Elite (WAN Port) and then AC Elite (LAN Port) > D-link (WAN Port)

Seems to work without having to do any complicated configuration, but not sure if I'm creating more ''obstacles'' in my network?

Or is there a better way to network them?
What you do here is called double NAT and the experts here are against it.

Easiest way is to use your D-Link router as an AP.

More complicated way is to get the TP-Link smart switch and follow the guides in this forum or the internet.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.