HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Intermittent Network Connection

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Intermittent Network Connection

Hey,

Been having this problem in my new flat for internet connection. Seems that my wifi/lan connection from my asus RT-AC68u router will intermittently disconnect (exclaimation mark appearing on wifi icon in windows for a while). and then reconnect again. Have just updated firmware yesterday but still happening.

Currently using starhub fibre 500mpbs. Setup as follows: Fibre point -> modem -> converted data point in one room -> router in that room. Any one have any idea what is the next step for me to troubleshoot?
hubberb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Master Member

Hey,

Been having this problem in my new flat for internet connection. Seems that my wifi/lan connection from my asus RT-AC68u router will intermittently disconnect (exclaimation mark appearing on wifi icon in windows for a while). and then reconnect again. Have just updated firmware yesterday but still happening.

Currently using starhub fibre 500mpbs. Setup as follows: Fibre point -> modem -> converted data point in one room -> router in that room. Any one have any idea what is the next step for me to troubleshoot?
On your RT-AC68u enable IVP6. Set it to Native and click on the apply button. I had your problem once.. but now no more issues.
noidea and hubberb like this.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

On your RT-AC68u enable IVP6. Set it to Native and click on the apply button. I had your problem once.. but now no more issues.
I'am using this router and having this issue too.
Do I need to set IPV6 Lan address, length and prefix
ISP - MyRepublic
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
Master Member

nope.. no settings needed.

unless you want to use other DNS rather then the default starhub, m1 or singtel. which most people are using 2001:4860:4860::8888 & 2001:4860:4860::8844 (Google) and the new DNS from cloudflare which is 2606:4700:4700::1111 & 2606:4700:4700::1001
noidea likes this.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #5

Unfortunately seems that after setting the IPv6 to native this problem still occurs. I'll get random "cannot connect to DNS server message" on chrome while my wifi shows "no internet connection" for a while before it automatically reconnects itself back again.

Is there a DNS setting i need to change?
hubberb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
Master Member

Hey,

For SH, use these 3rd Party DNS, confirm won't go wrong.
Disable IPv6.
Seriously you don't need it for now.
tungsten2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

For SH, use these 3rd Party DNS, confirm won't go wrong.
Disable IPv6.
Seriously you don't need it for now.
Well unlike ipv4 where you have to port forward your internal service to be accessed externally. Ipv6 enables you to use a DNS entry to access your own server.

Google DNS went down recently so it's not infallible
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Master Member

I would not recommend that TS to hosting a server at home and connect to the internet.
Not for home setup. Just too much risk, too much heat, too much noise & too much electrical bills to pay.

If 1st DNS goes down, the router will just use the 2nd as Main and so on.......etc
Google DNS is fast but not my preferred choice.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

I would not recommend that TS to hosting a server at home and connect to the internet.
Not for home setup. Just too much risk, too much heat, too much noise & too much electrical bills to pay.

If 1st DNS goes down, the router will just use the 2nd as Main and so on.......etc
Aiya not asking ts to run a data center at home. Maybe ts has a Nas, CCTV etc which he wants to access when outside of home? With ipv4 you will probably have to type in the ip address and port to access his server eg "192.168.1.5:8123" with ipv6 you can enter a address "like mynas.example.com"
Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
Master Member

Won't the IPv6 address change ?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #11

Won't the IPv6 address change ?
from my understanding ipv6 unlike ipv4 dosent require NAT. under ipv4 when you want to enable your nas to be accessable from outside your network the way your traffic will go is from your NAS IP > WAN IP > ISP > The WAN IP of the other router > IP of device. IPV6 having a unique address will go from your NAS to the ISP and routed to its destination. having a dynamic IPV4 address means the WAN IP will change so you will have to use a DDNS service so port forwarding will still work. I think the IPV6 address of your device/NAS will stay the same so even if the WAN IPV6 address changes, it does not matter as the NAS and destination IP address stays the same

Last edited by dryteletubby; 12-05-2018 at 04:58 PM..
Old 12-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Great Supremacy Member

Not true, the DNS server(of those 3 specified) that respond to your DNS request is more or less random, and not hierarchy based as in 1st DNS server have to go down for 2nd DNS server to respond.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Great Supremacy Member

from my understanding ipv6 unlike ipv4 dosent require NAT. under ipv4 when you want to enable your nas to be accessable from outside your network the way your traffic will go is from your NAS IP > WAN IP > ISP > The WAN IP of the other router > IP of device. IPV6 having a unique address will go from your NAS to the ISP and routed to its destination. having a dynamic IPV4 address means the WAN IP will change so you will have to use a DDNS service so port forwarding will still work. I think the IPV6 address of your device/NAS will stay the same so even if the WAN IPV6 address changes, it does not matter as the NAS and destination IP address stays the same
Let's use StarHub as an example, since that's what I have at home.

The WAN /128 and routed /64 can be from different subnets, say 2406:3000:ec42:13::1/128 for WAN and 2406:3000:5657:22::/64 for your routed /64. Usually your WAN and routed /64 doesn't change unless you release the lease, and if you release the lease, your new routed /64 (let's say 2406:3000:ac12:11::/64) will likely not be the same as your previous one, and that's when the IPv6 address for your devices will change.

Also, unless you give your devices a static IPv6 address or fixed the IPv6 address lease on the DHCPv6 server for your devices, the IPv6 address for your devices will change periodically if it's self-assigned by the devices using SLACC.

That's where dynamic DNS servies come in; to tie a FQDN to the IPv6 address.

Last edited by Mach3.2; 12-05-2018 at 05:28 PM..
Mach3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #14

Let's use StarHub as an example, since that's what I have at home.

The WAN /128 and routed /64 can be from different subnets, say 2406:3000:ec42:13::1/128 for WAN and 2406:3000:5657:22::/64 for your routed /64. Usually your WAN and routed /64 doesn't change unless you release the lease, and if you release the lease, your new routed /64 (let's say 2406:3000:ac12:11::/64) will likely not be the same as your previous one, and that's when the IPv6 address for your devices will change.

Also, unless you give your devices a static IPv6 address or fixed the IPv6 address lease on the DHCPv6 server for your devices, the IPv6 address for your devices will change periodically if it's self-assigned by the devices using SLACC.

That's where dynamic DNS servies come in; to tie a FQDN to the IPv6 address.
So if my devices ipv6 address are fixed I do not need a ddns service?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #15
Great Supremacy Member

So if my devices ipv6 address are fixed I do not need a ddns service?
It's easier to remember a FQDN than the full IPv6 address anyway, it'll be good to have a DDNS service just for that reason alone.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.