Which ISP Fibre Broadband plan is better?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
There won't be any bottleneck.
There are 4 ports on the ONR.
One port can go to the AP in Living Room
Another port use for the Singtel AC 1200 in Master Bed room.

But the bottleneck would still be the SingTel provided Aztech AC1900 router is that right?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But the bottleneck would still be the SingTel provided Aztech AC1900 router is that right?

For new subscription you will get the AC Plus AC1200 router, not made by Aztech but from another vendor called Arcadyan with SingTel customised FW. Previously it was AC Elite AC1900 router from Arcadyan.

Ref:
https://www.singtel.com/personal/support/broadband/routers-ont

Ref:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...i-gigabit-router-ac1900-arcadyan-5388577.html

Unless you have 3*3 client, AC Plus is not too bad in terms of coverage but it is lack in feature.

If you have the older Aztech routers, I am not so sure how good it is. I dislike Aztech in general.

But 7009 should have better features, still a lousy router though.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...nic-4/aztech-7009-rg-discussions-5082088.html

So we see a trend that since 2015 SingTel keeps downgrading the free wireless routers given in terms of features. But anyway all the previous 2Wire/Pace/Aztech routers are crap and at least Arcadyan AC1900/AC Elite seem to be better than before in terms of stability. AC Plus is a downgrade from AC1900/AC Elite but seems to be better in terms of stability than those Aztech routers.

I am staying with SingTel because of SingTel circle and the stability of the Internet access. Customer service is so so but that seems to be across the board (other than M1 which I do not use but hear good words).

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So based on this, it’s down to M1/StarHub/MyRepublic/whizcomms? I don’t utilise IPv6, so that’s one less concern I guess

Then you can just tick M1. Whizcomms does not have the track record. StarHub has quite a bit of downtime even though it is usually in the evening. My Republic wanted to do a lot of things (even trying to be the 4th telco) so I am not so sure you can have good service in the future.

SingTel should still be in the picture if you value stability versus feature.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now using my secondary StarHub 500Mbps and I see no difference between the speed for my iPhone 6S compared to my SingTel 1Gbps plan. So the iPhone 6S (1*1 client , up to 433MBps on 5GHz wifi) is the limit and not StarHub. That is good enough for me.

StarHub 500Mbps plan
D-Link DIR-865 AC1750 router
iPhone 6S iOS 12.1
http://starhub-broadband.speedtestcustom.com/result/be6fd550-e4af-11e8-8b53-c146dca26295

Not much difference using Speedtest and M1 server.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2936907551

The coverage is not great but still okay, the worst case is at the small toilet.
http://starhub-broadband.speedtestcustom.com/result/73f170a0-e4b0-11e8-b2f6-b1a75773b355

Last edited:

lcheowl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@lcheowl, what OS and Browser are you using ?

What you facing is what I'm facing.

Until I started this thread "Speedtest Discrepancy"

This is the speed I'm getting https://www.speedtest.net/result/7785851101.png

win 10 build 1803, flash version 29, chrome, edge and IE give about the same result.

Actually flash version was at 30 but downgrade to 29 but the result is about the same.

So far, we confirm, nothing wrong with my pc (the starhub technician's laptop result was nearly the same with my pc's reult), nothing wrong with my starhub profile (starhub has recreate a new profile for me), and nothing wrong with the ONT (they did sway a new ONT).

Do a test run with linksys, also rule out nothing is wrong with the router.

Last edited:

xGaikoz

Reaction score
There won't be any bottleneck.
There are 4 ports on the ONR.
One port can go to the AP in Living Room
Another port use for the Singtel AC 1200 in Master Bed room.

But that means i will have to lay a long ass LAN cable, somehow over my large Living room for the Singtel AC1900 thou. Which is why im considering a wifi mesh setup instead, just to stay away from the cabling.

xGaikoz

Reaction score
Then you can just tick M1. Whizcomms does not have the track record. StarHub has quite a bit of downtime even though it is usually in the evening. My Republic wanted to do a lot of things (even trying to be the 4th telco) so I am not so sure you can have good service in the future.

SingTel should still be in the picture if you value stability versus feature.

Yes i am quite skeptical about the non Big 3 ISPs tbh, so im looking at the Singtel 1gbps Askey mesh plan or M1/Starhub 1gbps(and buy a wifi mesh). Would also like to check with you bros, on whether i can replace the ISP provided router from M1/Starhub with my wifi mesh router?

squarepipe

Reaction score
But that means i will have to lay a long ass LAN cable, somehow over my large Living room for the Singtel AC1900 thou. Which is why im considering a wifi mesh setup instead, just to stay away from the cabling.

Ubiquiti AP is the solution. If you use 2 ubiquiti AP, you can wire one to your router and have the 2nd set up as mesh. If you have your own WiFi router you can set up the ubiquiti AP as repeater. Of course the best way is to wired up them all to work as access points.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes i am quite skeptical about the non Big 3 ISPs tbh, so im looking at the Singtel 1gbps Askey mesh plan or M1/Starhub 1gbps(and buy a wifi mesh). Would also like to check with you bros, on whether i can replace the ISP provided router from M1/Starhub with my wifi mesh router?

SingTel Wifi Mesh is crazy — you need to relying on PM SingTel to get firmware update. Way better to get your own WiFi Mesh solution.
Ref:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...m-320/anybody-using-singtel-mesh-5354946.html

M1/StarHub do not needVLan do you can use your own router.

From what I read, it seems that M1 is your best bet. In fact quite some of my friends changed to M1 after cutting SingTel TV/StarHub TV. Basically M1 seems to be the best if you do not need TV. Quite some also switched to M1 mobile for “better service”.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With due respect, M1's signal strength and call quality is really sh1t. My brother who was on their postpaid quit just after his first contract and is now on Singtel.

You get what you paid for...

That is mobile network and take note I say “better service “ not better coverage and network speed. I am sticking to SingTel mobile myself. From what I read, SingTel 4G mobile network still is the fastest.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
With due respect, M1's signal strength and call quality is really sh1t. My brother who was on their postpaid quit just after his first contract and is now on Singtel.

You get what you paid for...

All Telco has to meet the minimum coverage set by regulations.

Personally I have the opposite experience.

Singtel reception at my house is poor unlike M1. Outdoors both seem to have full reception.

Other then that Singtel mobile network is less advanced compared then M1 with ipv6 not yet fully implemented and wholesale port blocking unlike M1 DPI filtering.

dryteletubby

Reaction score

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I see. I will value coverage over the other two.

Personally I have never experienced a lack of coverage by either M1 or Singtel.

The article seems to be refering to 4G networks. And my old phone on M1 plan was only capable of hspa+ so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Previously during NS certain parts of tekong has poor to no coverage. M1 seems to still receive 3g unlike he 2 other Telco.

As for latency I feel connecting back to my home network via vpn is slightly more responsive under M1 then Singtel.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
whizcomms also give an ONR by default. Unlike singtel you can set the ONR to bridge mode to use your own router

Yes Whizcomms also give ONR BUT if your accidentally reset it, you will need to call them to come down.

Not all users are Power User, Singtel cater only to the MainStream Users who do no need to use 3rd party routers, set DNS, set VPN, use pfsense..............etc. User will have to be very clear what they want.

My 10 years with Singtel is their networks are reliable. Adsl time they are faster but comes to fibre, I think they optimise too much. Felt slower hence jump ship to Starhub.

Starhub problem is their DNS, but luckily this was pre-empt as I always use 3rd Party DNS. And when the problems comes, you can see a lot of Complain King and complain Queens KPKP at their facebook when in fact they can just resolve by themselves by changing the DNS.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Yes Whizcomms also give ONR BUT if your accidentally reset it, you will need to call them to come down.

Not all users are Power User, Singtel cater only to the MainStream Users who do no need to use 3rd party routers, set DNS, set VPN, use pfsense..............etc. User will have to be very clear what they want.

My 10 years with Singtel is their networks are reliable. Adsl time they are faster but comes to fibre, I think they optimise too much. Felt slower hence jump ship to Starhub.

Starhub problem is their DNS, but luckily this was pre-empt as I always use 3rd Party DNS. And when the problems comes, you can see a lot of Complain King and complain Queens KPKP at their facebook when in fact they can just resolve by themselves by changing the DNS.

You are correct. However other ISP like M1 will help you set up the router/ mesh for a fee so less tech savvy individuals aren't being left out.

What Singtel does not give you is choice. With the ONR you will have to use their ap or your own router as AP. From what I read in here the router/AP Singtel provides isn't reliable. Unlike other ISP if you feel the router provided isn't up to scratch you can replace it with any network equipment you desire.

This lack of user choice is what made my Singtel ADSL experience poor. The modem/router provided was extremely unreliable requiring multiple reboots a day and more reboots to make port forwarding work.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

den again like what u said b4 that there those are less tech savvy. how to know where to go and change :s8:

uncle_josh

Reaction score
den again like what u said b4 that there those are less tech savvy. how to know where to go and change :s8:

You can bring the cow to the river. But cow don't want to drink you also boh bian.

Not tech savy doesn't mean ppl need to spoon feed you.

There are time when you have a problem to resolve by yourself, just do it. Start by RTFM.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.