HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Linksys Router

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

Linksys Router

After so many years of experience on Asus, it is time to give it a try on other brand and decided to jump onboard Linksys but what happened why there's almost near zero thread discussing on Linksys routers?

I'm still considering on Linksys MR9000X since my parents house is using the free Starhub Linksys EA8100 and it does not gives me any problem on connectivity for the solid 2 years I assume it is still a reliable brand we can depend on.

Any input on Linksys routers or model recommendation are all welcome.
ckh98258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:48 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

After so many years of experience on Asus, it is time to give it a try on other brand and decided to jump onboard Linksys but what happened why there's almost near zero thread discussing on Linksys routers?

I'm still considering on Linksys MR9000X since my parents house is using the free Starhub Linksys EA8100 and it does not gives me any problem on connectivity for the solid 2 years I assume it is still a reliable brand we can depend on.

Linksys not as good as last time le. If you buy thinking that you will get Asus level of features and performance. You will be very disappointed. Iíve used Linksys, netgear. Asus is still the best IMO.

kashix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

There are a couple of threads such as the linksys velop and the MX5300.

I'm using the MX5300 x2 nodes and MR9600 as a bridged router.

Linksys is definitely one of the more reliable branding with ease of setup and doesn't require much advanced tweaks. On the down side, its pretty much controlled, you won't get as much customisations as asus.

Linksys, unlike asus, do not support VLAN, which is part of the requirement for singtel fibre.

MR series all do not support VLAN. You may still find some routers such as EA8300 on the shelves that support VLAN. Very few models from linksys nowadays support VLAN.

Another router from linksys such as E9450 easy mesh router does support built in vlan and is currently being offered by singtel for monthly top up.

If you are not using singtel, then you are worry free.....
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Linksys not as good as last time le. If you buy thinking that you will get Asus level of features and performance. You will be very disappointed. Iíve used Linksys, netgear. Asus is still the best IMO.

correct.. linksys do have limited features but in terms of core features, they are solid.

my linksys products are turned on 24/7 with no reboot needed, apart from all the auto firmware upgrade at night..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:46 AM   #5
Supremacy Member

correct.. linksys do have limited features but in terms of core features, they are solid.

my linksys products are turned on 24/7 with no reboot needed, apart from all the auto firmware upgrade at night..
Glad to know everything works well for you but I still prefer and recommend Asus.
kashix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:05 AM   #6

Security firmware update are slow or totally not available for linksys.

Their firmware update sometimes 2 to 3 time a year.

I feel that using the device as main router firmware update for security flaw is important. If using linksys as ap than fine those firmware not so much to worry about.
sadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
Supremacy Member

I ageee Linksys quality is good and the core FW feature is solid. used Linksys WRT1900AC (version 1) as the main router from April 2014 to September 2020. It was on 24/7 and problem free. But last Linksys FW updates were in 2018. The 2.4 GHz wireless coverage is also poor compared to my auxiliary Huawei AX3 Pro (not supporting SingTel.VLAN). So I decided to retire it and then flashing the OpenWRT FW to play with OpenWRT. It still works well now as a wireless media bridge but I seldom use it.

On the other hand, I am an SingTel ONT user and latest Linksys routers do not support SingTel VLAN except a few models like the E9450. The pricing is not so attractive either. EA7500 v2 and EA8100 is too low end for me to use as the main router. I actually picked up an EA7500 v2 without adapter for free as someone threw it away.

Therefore I have just got an Asus RT-AX82U. Even though I have an impression that Asus HW quality is not as solid as Linksys, I decided to take risks and buy the China version as it is much cheaper than buying in Singapore (less than S$200 in total). Let's see how it goes.

For non SingTel users, I think Linksys router can still be an option, especially for Velop compatible models. Still Asus wins in the area of long term FW support and FW features and 3rd party Merlin FW support (except gaming models). Buy the local set for 3 years warranty though.

Last edited by xiaofan; 10-12-2020 at 08:55 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

Linksys threads, not including Starhub Linksys EA8100 and EA7500 v2, which are lower end basic Linksys router with good price performance ratio, also not including old WRT models which were very good.

Linksys Velop : this is the most popular Linksys related thread
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...e-5605530.html

Linksys Velop MX5300 AX Mesh
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...0-6214221.html

Linksys E9450 Easy Mesh, not compatible with Velop mesh
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...r-6407984.html

MR9600, MR8300, MR9000, etc, mesh router compatible with Velop.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...s-6342305.html
ckh98258 likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 10-12-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Old 20-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Linksys offer from Challenger

Last edited by xiaofan; 20-12-2020 at 11:20 PM..
Old 21-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Probably is a bad choice if you pick Linksys.
Their support team is quite weak. Firmware support is little.

Last edited by cscs3; 21-12-2020 at 09:30 AM..
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #11

IMO go for Google Mesh if you donít need gaming needs.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

IMO go for Google Mesh if you don’t need gaming needs.
Google Nest WiFi Mesh should be okay as long as you are not using SingTel.

Main strong point of Google Nest WiFi is the ease of use. It dies not excel in terms of performance and features if compared to mesh solution at similar price. It is after all a dual band mesh solution. It also does not support Mesh in AP/Bridge mode.

SingTel does offer Google Nest Mesh but it does not support Singtel TV box, and it has to be put into Double NAT situation.

Last edited by xiaofan; 21-12-2020 at 11:14 AM..
Old 21-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #13

Belkin-Linksys needs to do more !!!!

Their lack of regular firmware update and 3rd party firmware support are a cause for concern.
Old 21-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #14
Supremacy Member

Their lack of regular firmware update and 3rd party firmware support are a cause for concern.
Very true.

They used to have the best 3rd party firmware support since the WRT54G days. Their WRT1200AC/1900AC/1900ACS/3200AC/32X are also pretty good with 3rd party firmware support.

I myself have changed to Asus RT-AX82U. Still I hope Linksys can do better.
Old 21-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

They change boss again. Now they are under foxconn!
This company no longer has a tracked reputation in router market anymore.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.