Linksys Velop - WiFi that sets you free

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm thinking of getting the Velop as the RT-AC1200G+ I'm using is not sufficient to cover my whole house.
What would be the best way to setup or if it's even possible?

Setup 1 Gives me best coverage
ONT > AC1200G Router in DB Box > Wired Backhaul to 3x Child Nodes in bridge mode

I read there is problem with this setup as Velop has problems passing IP address?

Setup 2 - 1 node in DB box with AC1200G as switch
ONT>Velop Main Node > AC1200G (as switch) > Wired backhaul to 2X Child Nodes

Setup 3
ONT>Velop Main Node> Child Node 1>wireless backhaul Node 2

Setup 1 will be the most ideal of all. There isn’t any issue in the IP address assignment unless your device connects and disconnects from the system too many times in a short period. Velop will temporarily blacklist the device for several minutes..

donkuok

Reaction score
I had placed them in different room in Initial for the setup but it can't find the 2nd and 3rd. It keep prompt to put it closer to the parent .

Did you do it one by one? I have no problem with 2 nodes about 15 meters apart. I bought 3 nodes during the offer but 2 nodes are good enough for the 5-room flat coverage.
The velop is on bridge mode with the Singtel AC1900 stock wifi router and its wifi is turned off.
The 2nd node managed to hit 700+mbps

Yuendi

Reaction score
I like to install Velop in the 2-storey terance to improve WIFI coverage..
ground level is enlongated with the following sequence in layout:
- Living hall, Dining area, WALL, Kitchen, WALL, small washer area, WALL, Maid's room.
- Staircase to Level 2 connects to Dining area.
- Level 2 are just 3 rooms with a ultra-small common area.

Router and modem are in the living area.
Only the Living Hall has Ethernet port. House was renovated many years ago.. fibre-optic cables installed near the current Router and Modem.

Currently, my maid cannot have stable/good wifi signal. On Level 2 bedrooms, the wifi sucks (even for 2.4GHz) and signal dropouts are rampant.

I'm thinking of getting 3 units of Velop.
- 1st unit to place in Living Hall, to connect directly to Router, switching off the Router's wifi.
- 2nd unit to place in Kitchen, connected only with power supply wiring.
- 3rd unit to place in the ultra-small common area on Level 2, connected only with power supply wiring.

No line-of-sight for all 3 units of Velop.

Will this configuration work?

What is this "backhaul" all about and in what way will I suffer in terms of wifi signal now that I don't have "ethernet backhaul"? I tried google "ethernet backhaul" and its purpose and I'm still a noob after reading all the jargons.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I like to install Velop in the 2-storey terance to improve WIFI coverage..
ground level is enlongated with the following sequence in layout:
- Living hall, Dining area, WALL, Kitchen, WALL, small washer area, WALL, Maid's room.
- Staircase to Level 2 connects to Dining area.
- Level 2 are just 3 rooms with a ultra-small common area.

Router and modem are in the living area.
Only the Living Hall has Ethernet port. House was renovated many years ago.. fibre-optic cables installed near the current Router and Modem.

Currently, my maid cannot have stable/good wifi signal. On Level 2 bedrooms, the wifi sucks (even for 2.4GHz) and signal dropouts are rampant.

I'm thinking of getting 3 units of Velop.
- 1st unit to place in Living Hall, to connect directly to Router, switching off the Router's wifi.
- 2nd unit to place in Kitchen, connected only with power supply wiring.
- 3rd unit to place in the ultra-small common area on Level 2, connected only with power supply wiring.

No line-of-sight for all 3 units of Velop.

Will this configuration work?

What is this "backhaul" all about and in what way will I suffer in terms of wifi signal now that I don't have "ethernet backhaul"? I tried google "ethernet backhaul" and its purpose and I'm still a noob after reading all the jargons.

Backhaul refers to the connection between the node and the primary node or the router. Essentially there are only 2 backhaul, wired or wireless. Wireless will not be as good as wired, based on the fact that wireless backhaul needs to have line of sight while wired need not..

Yuendi

Reaction score
What if my wireless setup for "secondary node" does not have line-of-sight to the "Primary node" and I do not have any possibility of ethernet connection for the secondary node?

Thanks in advance.

Backhaul refers to the connection between the node and the primary node or the router. Essentially there are only 2 backhaul, wired or wireless. Wireless will not be as good as wired, based on the fact that wireless backhaul needs to have line of sight while wired need not..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What if my wireless setup for "secondary node" does not have line-of-sight to the "Primary node" and I do not have any possibility of ethernet connection for the secondary node?

Thanks in advance.

when you set up your secondary node, you are required to place it nearby the primary node in order to make it into the system of mesh. after which you can try to shift it to the location you want it to be. if its too far, you straight away get a RED led. if its far but still manageable, you get an ORANGE led.

Getting orange led means you still can get into internet but the speed will be so-so.

So if your location is bad, consider doing trunking la, will definitely help, like what i did to my rooms..

Yuendi

Reaction score
I just did the setup. While setting the 2nd node and the 3rd node, I didn't allow line-of-sight to the parent unit, and it setup well.

The only issue I'm having now is that when I am seated next to the node on Level-2, the speedtest is still showing 100mbps or less. Compare this with the result seated at the ground level next to the parent unit with result more than 600mbps.

I'm not sure if I was still connect to the ground level unit when I brought my phone up to Level-2. I think I read somewhere the switching of facing-node will only be triggered when the signal drops below a particular level. Can't find that post anymore. This is no good.

when you set up your secondary node, you are required to place it nearby the primary node in order to make it into the system of mesh. after which you can try to shift it to the location you want it to be. if its too far, you straight away get a RED led. if its far but still manageable, you get an ORANGE led.

Getting orange led means you still can get into internet but the speed will be so-so.

So if your location is bad, consider doing trunking la, will definitely help, like what i did to my rooms..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In another words, your nodes are on wireless backhaul?

If it’s on wireless backhaul, connecting to second node will not help at all. You can tell which node you’re connected to by looking at your signal strength..

Sometimes it’s not the product that is no good, it’s the user who expected too much for overcoming physical limitation.. :D

I just did the setup. While setting the 2nd node and the 3rd node, I didn't allow line-of-sight to the parent unit, and it setup well.

The only issue I'm having now is that when I am seated next to the node on Level-2, the speedtest is still showing 100mbps or less. Compare this with the result seated at the ground level next to the parent unit with result more than 600mbps.

I'm not sure if I was still connect to the ground level unit when I brought my phone up to Level-2. I think I read somewhere the switching of facing-node will only be triggered when the signal drops below a particular level. Can't find that post anymore. This is no good.

toyknight

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Would like to check if you guys experience the same as me. I have Velop 3 in a pack. 1 parent and 2 child nodes ( 1 using wired backhaul while the other using wireless).

I noticed that the blue light on the child node with wired connection goes from solid, to flashing, to solid, to a slow pulse, to solid, to flashing. It does not have a fixed pattern. Devices connecting to that node seems to be disconnected when this happens.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Blue light pulsating to solid blue light signifies a change in wireless channel. It usually does not do that unless there’s no device connected to it. If it’s red flashing, it has something gone wrong. If it’s solid red, it’s completely out of the mesh system, do a reboot of that unit..

Mine will also pulsate like yours but it’s not that frequent..

What’s frequent is I got an orange solid light but no connection is affected, I left it untouched and the next day it turned blue again..

Would like to check if you guys experience the same as me. I have Velop 3 in a pack. 1 parent and 2 child nodes ( 1 using wired backhaul while the other using wireless).

I noticed that the blue light on the child node with wired connection goes from solid, to flashing, to solid, to a slow pulse, to solid, to flashing. It does not have a fixed pattern. Devices connecting to that node seems to be disconnected when this happens.

orangebarracuda

Reaction score
Anyone using velop bridged mode but the child node is getting poor results from speedtest (wifi)?

Primary node: 200-230mbps
Child node: 40-50mbps

Tested on PC and smartphone

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using velop bridged mode but the child node is getting poor results from speedtest (wifi)?

Primary node: 200-230mbps
Child node: 40-50mbps

Tested on PC and smartphone

Seem like device is on 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi connection from child node...

orangebarracuda

Reaction score
Child node on ethernet backhaul, primary node connected to home LAN. Sorry didn’t indicate in earlier post

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Child node on ethernet backhaul, primary node connected to home LAN. Sorry didn’t indicate in earlier post

Child node on ethernet backhaul shouldn’t give you that Low speed. Have you tried to reboot that particular node?

toyknight

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Anyone RMA their Velop before? I suspect one of my node is having problem. It is showing blue light but on the app is showing offline. When I am beside the node, my wireless signal only 2 bars. This is the same node when on connected wired will pulsate.

I tried to reset the node and always encounter problem setting it up via the app. That’s why I believe the node is faulty.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone RMA their Velop before? I suspect one of my node is having problem. It is showing blue light but on the app is showing offline. When I am beside the node, my wireless signal only 2 bars. This is the same node when on connected wired will pulsate.

I tried to reset the node and always encounter problem setting it up via the app. That’s why I believe the node is faulty.

Nope I don’t think so. The node is not faulty but I Guess its the cloud service that is not working right. I try to avoid cloud service as far as possible because the Linksys app sometimes will malfunction and shows you that router is offline when it is online. I do see that over the years it has get more stable but got more rooms for improvements.. :D

Secondly, never stand close to one node. You should use it without consciously expecting your phone to get switched from one node to another of your expectation. It doesn’t work that way.

Velop uses SSI level as one of the mechanisms to switch from one node to another. If the location you standing is too close to the connected node, then it wont switch to the node you are standing next to. Too much switching destroys the power at client side..

toyknight

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hmm... but having signal strength of 2 bar does not indicate that you are far from the previous node and is time to connect to the node that you are standing next to it?

But this particular node really giving a lot of trouble in terms of setting it up after factory reset as it keeps on asking me to reset it cos it always fail at the checking of signal phase.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can be your app issue also..

Nevertheless, 2 bars depends on your device. Different devices got different levels of signal algorithms. Iphone only 3 bars, Android got more. Windows also another set of different ones.

So it all depends..

Hmm... but having signal strength of 2 bar does not indicate that you are far from the previous node and is time to connect to the node that you are standing next to it?

But this particular node really giving a lot of trouble in terms of setting it up after factory reset as it keeps on asking me to reset it cos it always fail at the checking of signal phase.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.