Linksys Velop - WiFi that sets you free

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm thinking of migrating from current Asus AC88U (main router) & N66U (AP in room) to Velop mesh.

A few questions:

1. I'm migrating from Singtel to M1. Do I still need the AC88U as Velop does not support VLAN? I believe we only need it for Singtel and not required for M1.

2. As I have many devices (2xNAS, TV, PS4, printer, etc) connected wired to the AC88U, can I put a switch to the second port on the Velop to connect all these? I'm currently connecting all these to the 8 ports on the AC88U.

3. Can the Ethernet backhaul use this switch as well? I have Cat 6 cable already laid between all the rooms.

If you are using M1, velop can be connected straight to the ONT for M1 and does not require any more vlan settings.

In this set up, it doesn’t matter where you connect the switch to, doesn’t matter which node is the switch connected to, as Long as a port is available, you can connect the nodes together, or to expand the ports via a switch.

damnit

Reaction score
If you are using M1, velop can be connected straight to the ONT for M1 and does not require any more vlan settings.

In this set up, it doesn’t matter where you connect the switch to, doesn’t matter which node is the switch connected to, as Long as a port is available, you can connect the nodes together, or to expand the ports via a switch.

Thanks renfred!

loodoo

Reaction score
Velop Tri-band or Dual-band

Hi all,

The setup will be rt-ac88u + velop in bridge mode wireless.
so besides the 1st velop wired to the rt-ac88u, the rest are all wireless.

rt-ac88u+1st velop --> 2nd velop -->3rd velop.

From the forum, got all of the info i need on how to setup, so just one question to clear things up. basically i am stuck between dual and tri band as i think 802.11ac will be sufficient for a long time as the devices in use are just phones and tablets. don't do alot of 4k streaming, gaming etc etc, but still would like to know if dual-band fits here then can save some SGD too.

So, basically what is/are the deciding factor(s) (based on the forum's experience) to go tri-band or dual-band, if connected device to wifi are just phones and tablets. (Max 6-7)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

damnit

Reaction score
hi loodoo,

i recently went with the dual band and it was a wonderful experience with seamless 5ghz wifi with the velops ... i have more than 10 devices and the dual band is more than sufficient ... i've read the youtube reviews and most indicate that the tri band is slightly better but you won't see the difference except on speedtest :)

loodoo

Reaction score
hi loodoo,

i recently went with the dual band and it was a wonderful experience with seamless 5ghz wifi with the velops ... i have more than 10 devices and the dual band is more than sufficient ... i've read the youtube reviews and most indicate that the tri band is slightly better but you won't see the difference except on speedtest :)

thats nice to know. yeah i saw and read countless reviews until i get so confused to go which way. even linksys site is not helping as they recommend triband for above 300mbps internet. anyway thanks for the reply, help clear my doubt now. cheers! :)

loodoo

Reaction score
hi loodoo,

oh, one more thing.

are you on wireless backhaul or rj45wired backhaul?

Last edited:

Hobbes234

Reaction score
Guys can I check if u set Velop to bridge mode, can I still do parental control using my ASUS router?

loodoo

Reaction score
Wired backhaul hehee

ok just set it up, 2 velop system. dual band in bridge mode.

was worried as you used wired and i have no choice but go wireless.

overall: one word. IMPRESSIVE!!!
nothing to say about the first velop unit wired and next to the asus router.

but that 2nd unit just blow my mind.
it was placed at master bedroom
and was able to connect to the living room unit. distance approx 3 bed rooms away with wooden door shut closed. iphoneX speed test-700mbps and latency increased abit to 40ms instead of 16ms. using fast dot com to test.

solved all my wifi issues.
triband should have been even better but looks like dualband is ok too.

will do more test on the weekend.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok just set it up, 2 velop system. dual band in bridge mode.

was worried as you used wired and i have no choice but go wireless.

overall: one word. IMPRESSIVE!!!
nothing to say about the first velop unit wired and next to the asus router.

but that 2nd unit just blow my mind.
it was placed at master bedroom
and was able to connect to the living room unit. distance approx 3 bed rooms away with wooden door shut closed. iphoneX speed test-700mbps and latency increased abit to 40ms instead of 16ms. using fast dot com to test.

solved all my wifi issues.
triband should have been even better but looks like dualband is ok too.

will do more test on the weekend.

you sure iphone x can hit 700mbps? :s11: can gpgt? I don't believe lol.

given what you said, your 1st velop connected to asus router, 2nd one is by wireless in your room, going by wifi, your throughput will definitely drop already.

specs of velop dual band is Dual-Band AC1300 (867 + 400 Mbps)‡ with MU-MIMO and 256 QAM

the thereotical speed of the 5ghz is 867, + you're using wireless across distance to link and not wired backhaul, there's no way your iPhone X can hit 700mbps.

I'm running the Asus RT-86U,
802.11n : up to 450 Mbps
802.11ac : up to 1734 Mbps

I can hit max only 400-500 max even if I'm directly infront of the router, 700mbps on your setup is definitely bull5hit, sorry. :s22:

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you sure iphone x can hit 700mbps? :s11: can gpgt? I don't believe lol.

given what you said, your 1st velop connected to asus router, 2nd one is by wireless in your room, going by wifi, your throughput will definitely drop already.

specs of velop dual band is Dual-Band AC1300 (867 + 400 Mbps)‡ with MU-MIMO and 256 QAM

the thereotical speed of the 5ghz is 867, + you're using wireless across distance to link and not wired backhaul, there's no way your iPhone X can hit 700mbps.

I'm running the Asus RT-86U,
802.11n : up to 450 Mbps
802.11ac : up to 1734 Mbps

I can hit max only 400-500 max even if I'm directly infront of the router, 700mbps on your setup is definitely bull5hit, sorry. :s22:

i guess it could be a one-off anomaly.

i am using velop triband and mixed with dual band, the best i got was 500+, which is good enough...

700+ perhaps require better wifi environment, like above mountain or something. :p

loodoo

Reaction score

i am using velop triband and mixed with dual band, the best i got was 500+, which is good enough...

700+ perhaps require better wifi environment, like above mountain or something. :p

yeah, i dont believe it myself either, thats why i said will do more test.

will find a suitable time later to do it and report on performance to help ppl decide better.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah, i dont believe it myself either, thats why i said will do more test.

will find a suitable time later to do it and report on performance to help ppl decide better.

Gpgt you know the rules ;)

Maybe he stay at peak of bukit timah hill :s13: you tell me Velop tri band can hit 700 on main node or wired backhaul I still can give you benefit of the doubt. Hahaha :s13:
But definitely need better WiFi clients to hit that kind of speed, afaik iPhone X maxed out at around 400-500+ most.

Last edited:

loodoo

Reaction score
Gpgt you know the rules ;)

Maybe he stay at peak of bukit timah hill :s13: you tell me Velop tri band can hit 700 on main node or wired backhaul I still can give you benefit of the doubt. Hahaha :s13:
But definitely need better WiFi clients to hit that kind of speed, afaik iPhone X maxed out at around 400-500+ most.

actually i tried a few times just now.
i still get 700...i recordwd a video.
how can i attached it here.

really donno whats going on.
anyway is there a way to attach video?

loodoo

Reaction score
Last edited:

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.