Linksys Velop - WiFi that sets you free

squarepipe

Reaction score
Lol, how is that expensive and complicated. I got my router way before velop was introduced and that I needed more lan ports. People don’t change the whole setup just because one item is added in that overlaps a feature.

U use a 8 port router which probably cost $400+ and a 3 pack velop which also cost ~$400. $800 on network equipment I will consider expensive Liao. Especially if it's all consumer grade equipment.

lot286

Reaction score

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hah!

Get back on velop discussion man. Questioning how I select my equipment is purely my personal decision matched according to my needs, don’t think it’s constructive to further discuss..

U use a 8 port router which probably cost $400+ and a 3 pack velop which also cost ~$400. $800 on network equipment I will consider expensive Liao. Especially if it's all consumer grade equipment.

squarepipe

Reaction score

brandolu

Reaction score
Need to off my Singtel AC 1900 wireless for more seamless transitions.
Haven’t been able to do so far, any tips here!

fitzz82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha been trying to do it but can’t access the router to turn it off. No luck on google either.
using yr PC connected to yr wifi, on yr browser type yr router ip (should be https://192.168.1.254 , i think?)
login, look for the wifi settings, turn off wifi.

should work.

danlim

Reaction score
Hi all
Need help
Just purchased set of 3 Dual Band Velop from IT Show

I am on M1 fibre point with a ASUS AC56U router in the switchboard cabinet in my kitchen
In my condo, we can connect from the switch board to the fibre and can connect to all LAN points in 3 bedrooms and living room

Currently I am using routers for Living room and master bedroom for wireless signals
My son used the LAN in his room for gaming

We have 3 SSIDs from 3 different routers and can achieve max download speed 90Mbps

I connected Main Velop to Fibre modem router and tried to setup Velop. I chose mode Modem + router during setup. It detected node but cant detect Internet connection
anyone can help?
Also how should I connect the Velop to get maximum speed and coverage in this scenario?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Need help
Just purchased set of 3 Dual Band Velop from IT Show

I am on M1 fibre point with a ASUS AC56U router in the switchboard cabinet in my kitchen
In my condo, we can connect from the switch board to the fibre and can connect to all LAN points in 3 bedrooms and living room

Currently I am using routers for Living room and master bedroom for wireless signals
My son used the LAN in his room for gaming

We have 3 SSIDs from 3 different routers and can achieve max download speed 90Mbps

I connected Main Velop to Fibre modem router and tried to setup Velop. I chose mode Modem + router during setup. It detected node but cant detect Internet connection
anyone can help?
Also how should I connect the Velop to get maximum speed and coverage in this scenario?

so is your AC56U still in the equation?

danlim

Reaction score
yes intend to keep the AC56U so that there is LAN connection in all the room .
Velop is for wireless

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

brandolu

Reaction score
Haven’t been able to verify my email and connect to the smart wifi page. Browser just times out. Any tips!

danlim

Reaction score
Finally got my 3 dual band Velop setup.
M1 Huawei Fibre Modem only port one has internet service.
So I connected ASUS router to port 1 of Huawei
Connected Main Node to ASUS, then setup the other 2 nodes
All working fine but Velop download speed is only 60Mbps whereas my ASUS router 5G AP can give me 100Mbps consistently
Is there any configuration I miss out?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally got my 3 dual band Velop setup.
M1 Huawei Fibre Modem only port one has internet service.
So I connected ASUS router to port 1 of Huawei
Connected Main Node to ASUS, then setup the other 2 nodes
All working fine but Velop download speed is only 60Mbps whereas my ASUS router 5G AP can give me 100Mbps consistently
Is there any configuration I miss out?

once you are using mesh network, you have no control over speed already, and there is no way you can maintain consistent speed.

Mesh network uses a dynamic algorithm to determine your device type, device speed capability and how far away are you from a nearest node using RSSI. Although you may have full wifi signal bar, but velop might have allocated a slower band because you were further away just now. There is also a bounce time window, which helps to save power on your device as well, cos band switching is also energy intensive.

Ignore the speed test, as all of us should have gone through the same experience. once you have gotten pass through this stage, use the wifi as per normal and you shouldn't experience any performance issue.

Of cos, if you are downloading intensive things on wifi, you should consider cable. Torrenting on wifi is just not the forte of velop.

If, by any chance your transmit region is set to a country other than United States, then probably you might wanna consider switching the region to US. US transmit region uses the best power output for your wifi, and that is also about higher energy consumption. I have been using US region and never looked back. Better coverage, better speed.

Last edited:

mun_hoe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If, by any chance your transmit region is set to a country other than United States, then probably you might wanna consider switching the region to US. US transmit region uses the best power output for your wifi, and that is also about higher energy consumption. I have been using US region and never looked back. Better coverage, better speed.

i've read ur advise on the transmit region settings, switched it out from Singapore to US. (ignore those lawful use warnings) But never noticed any leap in improvements still felt same, but a noticeable difference is my household electrical consumption bill went up by leaps and bounds, but cos prolly these 2 months hot weather i lowered the A/C temperature by 2 deg C :s13:

mun_hoe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi i saw this deal
the image is ... the triband
but the description is dual band
i had asked them but no reply.
just to double check if anyone buy from them and confirm this is a tri band ?

the pricing is more of like the dual band, it states dual band although model number is of tri-band ones.

if it's too good to be true.......then you shouldn't give the benefit of the doubt. very likely it's marketing ploy

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.