HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Linksys WRT32X Router - A new gaming champ?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kero89

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

Linksys WRT32X Router - A new gaming champ?

Honoured to get a chance to try out this cool router (LED lights is a killer and so is the name)

Intro to my budget testbed for this excellent router

Ryzen PC: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 that has both Intel I211 LAN and Killer E2500 Lan, and an Asus PCE-AC88 4x4 PCIe WiFi adapter

Internet provider: Singtel 1Gbps Home Fibre

Game tested: Overwatch (I am not a diehard serious gamer, so if there are any games you will like me to test out feel free to let me know)

Although it is not the focus, I must say the WRT32X is sufficient in providing strong and fast wireless connections on the 5Ghz throughout a 5 room HDB. It did not quite come close to the Velop (200/200 vs 70/70) but for those not cashing out more on wireless, this serves as an excellent home router for the price it is asking for. Put into context, my 2 years old Asus AC5300 provides around the same performance without any niche features (aka gaming) build in.

The focus of the WRT32X surely must be the Killer networking. Layman terms – an ecosystem where you have got a Killer enabled device + a Killer router and your device will get network priority in terms of speed, bandwidth and latency.

Killer prioritization is done automatically. Both the client side and WRT32X will show when Killer is “activated”. There are options on the level of priority the apps get on the client side and while the WRT32X gives you the flexibility on what non-Killer devices to prioritized.

Below are some screengrabs of Overwatch in build game stats

These testing were done on midnight of a weekend. I have an iPad Pro (streaming Starhub TV go), Note8 streaming 1080P YouTube, Xiaomi Max 2 streaming 1080P YouTube. This was to simulate a close to mini real-life situation of a busy home network.

Killer E2500

Intel I211

Killer E2500 connected to Asus AC5300

Asus PCE-AC88 connected to WRT32X on 5Ghz

• It pays NOT to game on wireless
• Do you need a Killer client to maximise results on the WRT32X? To me, perhaps no, but it probably needs more testing on my end as I have very limited devices with LAN connection (and maybe more games) :p
• What good do I gain by getting the WRT32X over say, Asus AC5300? By a few ms in gaming and for me, I do get similar performances in wireless range and speed so the Killer feature of the WRT32X is like a nice cool icing over the cake~

Pros of the WRT32X
• Footprint is reasonable
• Acceptable wifi performance
• Depending on target groups, it does have excellent gaming performance but comes with a set of criteria to be part of that exclusive ecosystem (i.e. not many Killer E2500 devices out there)
• The LED lights is a real killer to look at

Cons of the WRT32X
• AC3200 class router – some might think this is not keeping up with the times
• 4 ports LAN
• May not work well with all fibre providers (perennial issues so cannot exactly fault Linksys)

Anybody else here using this router? Currently bundling with M1 Fibre and also selling at a promo price of $399 at Hachi. Do share your speed, impression of this router!
tungsten2 likes this.
kero89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wah your write up is good man..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #3

Does the router do vlans? And does it have a openvpn server built in?
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

good image capture on the games. very useful.
mrkiasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

It does support preset vlans

I mean does it support creating vlans not preset for using with SingTel that sort.
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

It does support preset vlans

So Singtel Fibre (with MIO TV) is confirmed supported?

Sorry, I really googled but cannot find a definite answer.

Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!
cstanhwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sorry, my mistake for mixing wrt32x with some other models.

WRT32X DOES NOT SUPPORT SINGTEL FIBRE for the moment..

I have confirmed this with Linksys representative in Singapore, vlan support is in the pipeline for release in future updates..

So Singtel Fibre (with MIO TV) is confirmed supported?

Sorry, I really googled but cannot find a definite answer.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #8

Sorry, my mistake for mixing wrt32x with some other models.

WRT32X DOES NOT SUPPORT SINGTEL FIBRE for the moment..

I have confirmed this with Linksys representative in Singapore, vlan support is in the pipeline for release in future updates..

OK thanks for the update.

No wonder cannot find any info for SingTel fibre setting for it.

Hope to see an update firmware that support SingTel soon.

Itching to try this model.

Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!
cstanhwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
Master Member

There is a new firmware for the WRT32X. I have been with the BETA group for a few weeks and they just released the new official one today.

ftp://Temp99766182899:FAX29art@ftp.b...emp99766182899

Great improvement to WiFi strength. Should really give it a go. It is not BETA but a full final version that will be uploaded soon for OTA.

I have a small problem though. My Samsung S8 downloading from Google Store seems to be extremely slow after changing to this router. Anyone have this issue? Thanks in advance.
elmariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Try forgetting the existing wifi profile and join back again?

There is a new firmware for the WRT32X. I have been with the BETA group for a few weeks and they just released the new official one today.

ftp://Temp99766182899:FAX29art@ftp.b...emp99766182899

Great improvement to WiFi strength. Should really give it a go. It is not BETA but a full final version that will be uploaded soon for OTA.

I have a small problem though. My Samsung S8 downloading from Google Store seems to be extremely slow after changing to this router. Anyone have this issue? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
Master Member

Try forgetting the existing wifi profile and join back again?

Reset my network settings still same. Not sure why. So weird. I am trying Port Forwarding Port 5228 and seeing if that works.
elmariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.