M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
am on the fence between Asus RT-AX58U and AX88U. if i get the 88U will I be able to achieve 1gbps on WiFi?

58U: 802.11ax (2.4GHz) : up to 574 Mbps

88U: 802.11ax (2.4GHz) : up to 1148 Mbps

the price is.. a bit unsettling hahaha but if it ensures my connection strength and speed are top then i will fork out the cash. working from home really needs a stable connection to prevent lost calls.

just saw this promotion at M1 page. ASUS ZenWiFi AC at $10/mth on top of 1Gbps at $39.90/mth and another one is get Google Nest Wifi at $15/mth.

both also cheaper than the 88U which was about $500..

Why you list 2.4GHz? In Singapore 2.4GHz has no chance of hitting 1Gbps, or even 500Mbps in real life, due to congestion.

AX58U: 802.11ax (5GHz) : up to 2401 Mbps
AX88U: 802.11ax (5GHz) : up to 4802 Mbps

But for now all the wifi 6 device only have 2*2 AX so it will be the same 2402Mbps limit. However in real world, the speed will be lower. If you have AX200 based wifi card on a laptop, chances of hitting 1Gbps are there with either AX88U or AX58U, actually you can reach with similar speed with lower end Huawei AX3 Pro or Xiaomi AX3600.

AX88U -- S$459 usually, faster CPU, higher memory, more future proof

AX58U -- S$235 usually, good enough

Huawei AX3 Pro -- RMB329 from Taobao, about S$70+ from local online shops. It has only slightly lower wireless performance than AX58U.

Xiaomi AX3600 -- RMB599 from Taobao, about S$130+ from local online shops. It has higher wireless performance than AX58U.

But Asus routers have more FW features and local warranty.

Last edited:

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RqapIT1.jpg

I realized that my subscription for the singtel ONR in black and M1 ONT in white uses same type of casing. Came from same factory i assume.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub ONT also huawei. I think many ISP worldwide using huawei.

Indeed my Starhub ONT is also from Huawei.

SingTel is using Huawei ONR and Nokia ONR for new users.

SingTel ONTs are from Ericsson, ZTE and ALU (now Nokia). My previous Singtel ONT was from Ericsson and the current ONT is from ZTE.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

SingTel ONTs are from Ericsson, ZTE and ALU (now Nokia). My previous Singtel ONT was from Ericsson and the current ONT is from ZTE.

Actually nothing wrong with that.

farrhannyong

Reaction score
Why you list 2.4GHz? In Singapore 2.4GHz has no chance of hitting 1Gbps, or even 500Mbps in real life, due to congestion.

AX58U: 802.11ax (5GHz) : up to 2401 Mbps
AX88U: 802.11ax (5GHz) : up to 4802 Mbps

But for now all the wifi 6 device only have 2*2 AX so it will be the same 2402Mbps limit. However in real world, the speed will be lower. If you have AX200 based wifi card on a laptop, chances of hitting 1Gbps are there with either AX88U or AX58U, actually you can reach with similar speed with lower end Huawei AX3 Pro or Xiaomi AX3600.

AX88U -- S$459 usually, faster CPU, higher memory, more future proof

AX58U -- S$235 usually, good enough

Huawei AX3 Pro -- RMB329 from Taobao, about S$70+ from local online shops. It has only slightly lower wireless performance than AX58U.

Xiaomi AX3600 -- RMB599 from Taobao, about S$130+ from local online shops. It has higher wireless performance than AX58U.

But Asus routers have more FW features and local warranty.

ah okay i didn't know that the congestion will be that bad.

based on what you said, i checked my company's laptop specs and it's Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260. Max Speed 867 Mbps but anyway that will be throttled down and there is vpn too..

ill settle for the 58U since i have been on the stock router from M1 for 6 years. probably can keep going if not for the fact i need just a bit more speed and reliability for work.

farrhannyong

Reaction score
i recently called in to check and M1 agreed to roll back my bill to the cheaper rate from now to Jun for recontracting.

also if my current router is out of warranty and faulty, they agreed to change it for the RT AC2600.

rabbit1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i understand M1 dont give routers anymore: but if i cancel and sign up again, does that work?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score

starhub/singtel when you sign up fibre home broadband with them, you can select ONR/ONT?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score

ONT - You will need a an additional router.
ONR - The router is built into the ONT.

On M1, you would be given an ONT. Which means you need an additional router in order to go to the internet.

On SingTel, by default, you would be given an ONR. (unless you can convince them to configure an ONT).

Some expert/pro users are against the use of ONR as it decreases the flexibility in deploying their own routers and gateways. In addition, there is a risk of "exposure" of the internal network to the ISP since they have control over the router. On the flip side, having an ONR could also mean lesser maintenance, as you don't need to use another router.

Possibly, on which is better, could also be dependent on the networking setup.

what about starhub? do they give ONT or ONR?

same goes to myrepublic and viewquest?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
can i say there is no noticeable difference between 500mb for m1 and starhub? I'm signing up a new line and i see on their websites that m1 is charging $58.85 for registration fee and starhub has free installation.

i think both do not have wifi router come with the plan?

while starhub 1gbps one will have smart wifi devices come free?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think both do not have wifi router come with the plan?

while starhub 1gbps one will have smart wifi devices come free?

None of the 500Mbps plans out there provide free wireless router.

For new sign-up of 1Gbps, M1 provides the best free wireless router among SingTel, M1 and Starhub.

SingTel : free SingTel "Mesh" Router (Consumer) AC1900, locked to SingTel because of VLAN. Even though the name got "Mesh", the extender unit is not available from SingTel. It is better than AC Plus previously provided. But usually SingTel provided free router has basically very low or no resale value.

M1: free Asus RT-AC2600, AC2600 grade, resale price at about S$80-S$90 in Carousell.

Starhub: free Nokia Beacon 1. resale price at about S$40-S$50 in Carousell. Good thing is that you can buy one more unit to form a mesh.

Last edited:

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
None of the 500Mbps plans out there provide free wireless router.

For new sign-up of 1Gbps, M1 provides the best free wireless router among SingTel, M1 and Starhub.

SingTel : free SingTel "Mesh" Router (Consumer) AC1900, locked to SingTel because of VLAN. Even though the name got "Mesh", the extender unit is not available from SingTel. It is better than AC Plus previously provided. But usually SingTel provided free router has basically very low or no resale value.

M1: free Asus RT-AC2600, AC2600 grade, resale price at about S$80-S$90 in Carousell.

Starhub: free Nokia Beacon 1. resale price at about S$40-S$50 in Carousell. Good thing is that you can buy one more unit to form a mesh.

I see. I am looking at StarHub 1Gbps plan now and I am looking to buy a Linksys MR9000 to use with it and either keep the free Nokia beacon to extend the signal or just sell it away to subside the cost of purchasing the MR9000.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.