MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

kutysam

Reaction score
Anyone has the moca thing from starhub?

I've a choice of either running a ethernet wire which involves surface trunking or run it through this moca thing. Just want to get the review for starhub device itself :s12:

chowhong

Reaction score
There are many industrial standards and each country is entitled to choose from the one to go, just like 2G (GSM vs CDMA), 3G, and 4G in terms of mobile network.

If IMDA says MoCA standard is not adopted in Singapore, I myself will not buy MoCA adapters. Anyway, just my personal preferences.

Then prepare to pay more for your starhub TV and broadband for laying additional ONT if you have any as i have seen through the setup for 1 home that uses the new fibre TV, it is not as simple as you think.

At first i thought it to be simple, later on, i check the diagrams then i woke up from my sleep. It is not simple.

Example:

The older type of the houses 1990s and before, have their ONT near to the TV or their corridor which wont be an issue and those that have collected their keys (Tampines greenridge) - their entire house is networked up using Cat 6e data cable which wont be an issue.

Now the real thing, for those in between these 2 eras, their ONT is usually near to the power switch board with a network port which links to the living room network port.

If you had fibre broadband and fibre TV, here is the tricky part.

From the ONT, port 1 is for your fibre broadband and you will think that you can share right. Wrong, you cant share the network between fibre broadband and fibre TV. So they will ask you to plug it in to port 2 which they will configure solely for the TV.

Issue here is that you only have 1 data port that connects the living room to your box.

Solution: There are a couple of them that i find be able to work it out.
1) Converting your RJ11 ports to RJ45 ports (data networked)
2) Using a MoCA solution which converts your existing coaxial cable into ethernet line

For those who are unsure of how starhub's fibre TV and fibre bradband works in your home.

chowhong

Reaction score
Anyone has the moca thing from starhub?

I've a choice of either running a ethernet wire which involves surface trunking or run it through this moca thing. Just want to get the review for starhub device itself :s12:

you could also cnvert your existing telephone line to cat 6e (data), just need to convert the ports

terry1

Reaction score
i am surprised that this thread is still alive. i have been using this cheap setup for years a miserly us$20 that is still going strong :D

because the infrastructure is already set up and it is not utilised: most of us are either watching local channels through the miotv/starhub/m1 set-top boxes or receiving the channels through the free-to-air antennae so you may use these sockets on the wall faceplates to transmit data instead. and the devices to do so are relatively cheap, less than us$20 :D

more information here http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/106346031-post128.html

s-l300.png

DCAPR0-01_zoom.jpg

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am surprised that this thread is still alive. i have been using this cheap setup for years a miserly us$20 that is still going strong :D

I think I will get this a try... :D

Reaction score
on the up side the motorola/zyxel moca adapters are at least cheaper now at US$60 per unit. Actiontec one looks hideous.

I'll figure what to do when my cable dies.
Most houses simply have single Cat6 to all living areas with a central termination point. MOCA/COAX is a good idea to double up as a 2nd cable run around the house.

After research:
Starhub FibreTV would need a dedicated cable run to carry FibreTV signal NO MATTER what. period. one port will simply not carry fibreTV and internet. this sucks if u ask me.

SingtelMioTV is flexible. at most need IGMP enabled switches (cheap) before setup box. none of this cable run nonsense.

Motorola:
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Ada...4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549166646&sr=8-4&keywords=moca

Zyxel:
https://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Ethern...9?ie=UTF8&qid=1549166646&sr=8-9&keywords=moca

SLT246

Reaction score
MoCa / EOC

I see many tech savvy guys here so maybe someone can help me.

Can fibre broadband and fibre tv signals run on the same coaxial cable via EOC ?

I am one of those affected by switch from cable tv to fibre tv in June. Starhub came to install EOCs last week.

My wireless router is directly connected to ONT both on ground floor. One EOC was connected to ONT and another EOC is upstairs and connected to digital setup box for fibre tv.

I want to move my wireless router upstairs but coaxial terminal downstairs is already used for EOC with fibre tv signals.

Any suggestions what I can do ?

queks

Reaction score
Think of it as u have cold water and hot water. If you want to run both thr a single pipe. U will need something that is able to merge the two from the source and split the two at the destination.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see many tech savvy guys here so maybe someone can help me.

Can fibre broadband and fibre tv signals run on the same coaxial cable via EOC ?

I am one of those affected by switch from cable tv to fibre tv in June. Starhub came to install EOCs last week.

My wireless router is directly connected to ONT both on ground floor. One EOC was connected to ONT and another EOC is upstairs and connected to digital setup box for fibre tv.

I want to move my wireless router upstairs but coaxial terminal downstairs is already used for EOC with fibre tv signals.

Any suggestions what I can do ?

Starhub broadband/internet and TV signal cannot be mixed, as far as i know & understand.
Unless via complicate smart switches & settings, refer to Thread link at the bottom.

The other option is to use powerline but would depend on the electrical circuity.

Example; AV1000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit - HomePlug AV2 standard compliant.

Most discussion on this topic Starhub Fibre TV matter would be in this thread;
> Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

SLT246

Reaction score
I see. Had tried power plugs twice before. Results not good.

So fibre tv has to have cable connection ? What's StarHub Go ?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. Had tried power plugs twice before. Results not good.

So fibre tv has to have cable connection ? What's StarHub Go ?

Is your powerline is HomePlug AV2 standard compliant.

Starhub Go is streaming video (movies, dramas, channels) and do not necessary require any STB (Set Top Box).

For more details > https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/116326807-post243.html

Beside they do have their own Starhub Go Streaming Box in their > website

Note: Please avoid posting the topics on Starhub TV & Go here if not relating to MOCA network discussion. Thanks.

SLT246

Reaction score
Yes. AV2 compliant I think. Used Sineoji then TPLink homeplugs.

I am really new here although had been following for some time trying to find solutions to my problem.

OK. My ONT is on the ground floor and I used homeplugs and placed my wireless router on 2nd floor which more or less cover the whole house. Desktop is cable connected to this router in the same room. STB was on 3rd floor and I was still using cable tv.

Homeplugs gave up twice and now wireless router is directly connected to ONT on ground floor and wifi extenders used on 2nd and 3rd floor. Lost a lot of speed as result but at least can use on each floor.

Now had to switch to fibre tv so ONT with wireless router still on ground floor and with EOC, fibre tv STB is on 3rd floor.

My wish is to move wireless router back to 2nd floor again, if possible, until I realized fibre broadband and tv signals cannot be carried on same EOC to 2nd and 3rd floor respectively.

Maybe network mesh will give me better speeds than current wifi extenders but I was hoping to use existing coaxial network throughout the house in each room. So is there some kind of switch that will allow me to transfer broadband and tv signals from ONT to 2nd and 3rd floor respectively ?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. AV2 compliant I think. Used Sineoji then TPLink homeplugs.

I am really new here although had been following for some time trying to find solutions to my problem.

OK. My ONT is on the ground floor and I used homeplugs and placed my wireless router on 2nd floor which more or less cover the whole house. Desktop is cable connected to this router in the same room. STB was on 3rd floor and I was still using cable tv.

Homeplugs gave up twice and now wireless router is directly connected to ONT on ground floor and wifi extenders used on 2nd and 3rd floor. Lost a lot of speed as result but at least can use on each floor.

Now had to switch to fibre tv so ONT with wireless router still on ground floor and with EOC, fibre tv STB is on 3rd floor.

My wish is to move wireless router back to 2nd floor again, if possible, until I realized fibre broadband and tv signals cannot be carried on same EOC to 2nd and 3rd floor respectively.

Maybe network mesh will give me better speeds than current wifi extenders but I was hoping to use existing coaxial network throughout the house in each room. So is there some kind of switch that will allow me to transfer broadband and tv signals from ONT to 2nd and 3rd floor respectively ?

Not sure about Sineoji as most would recommend TP-Link models.

Since the premise do not have ethernet cable trunking or data points.

The next best option is Mesh which would give better wireless coverage.
Maybe you could google "Mesh network" to understand how it works.

Not recommended to use wifi extenders as the signal will be cut into half and depend on their link speed, etc.

Starhub do have this Google Wifi which is mesh as it is easy to setup & use.

There are other types of better Mesh such as > Advise on Ubiquiti products
Beside there are others such as > Linksys Velop, Asus Lyra, and more.

Still the best is to wired up with ethernet cable as trunking is not too difficult or complicate as it seem.

SLT246

Reaction score
JustDoLor ....I tried twice and gave up on homeplugs.

eric3743...sorry I dun hv enough posts to be able to add your quote. Yes, looks like mesh is the only other option unfortunately, since fibre tv needs a wired connection. Unless wife can do without packaged channels and I can use the EOC to carry broadband signals. A friend had Orbi and said its the best option for him although its too expensive for me. Maybe will consider Google wifi.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JustDoLor ....I tried twice and gave up on homeplugs.

eric3743...sorry I dun hv enough posts to be able to add your quote. Yes, looks like mesh is the only other option unfortunately, since fibre tv needs a wired connection. Unless wife can do without packaged channels and I can use the EOC to carry broadband signals. A friend had Orbi and said its the best option for him although its too expensive for me. Maybe will consider Google wifi.

Don't worry as i will be able to see your posts.
This is due to your post count is less than 10 there will be some restrictions including unable to PM (send private message) and url-link.

Not sure if you had used other homeplug brand beside Sineoji.
From what i understand this Sineoji do not have any router product unlike TP-Link & D-Link are Routers manufacturer for years.
The other points on using homeplug would be based on your electrical circuitry and should be plug direct on the main wall power socket.

Google Wifi come package with Starhub.
Anyway you can try to purchase from Starhub at their package cost of $15 per 3 sets or $10 for 2 based on 24-months installment.
While other ISP do have their own Mesh package too.

Depend on your internet usage and if more on wireless signal then mesh would be much better.
For placement of mesh you can see how your friend do it.
Google Wifi do have good wireless coverage as most users comments.

For better understand can refer to > Google Wifi Help
If you require wired connectivity and since Google Wifi has only 2 lan port then you can consider to add a Switch with 5 ~ 8 lan ports as extension.

Occasionally there are sellers on marketplaces that sell Google Wifi slightly cheaper as they most likely purchase upon contract.

SLT246

Reaction score
eric3743...thanks for your detailed reply. I also tried TPLink homeplugs and it also gave up on me. My house is more than 20yrs old so wire circuitry may be old too. Also where the homeplug was, the room is very hot during the day.

My wife watches tv upstairs so I need direct fibre connection to STB there. Other than that, its just simply wifi that everyone needs. In the past whenever signal drops, everyone switches to their data. Frankly no one cares about speed. I am the one who feel my 1GB broadband is wasted but I am working and typing this from overseas. With homeplug I get only ~200Mbps and now with wifi extenders, less than that but whole house is covered at least.

Another option is to get a third party tv box where I can get Netflix and any other overseas channels eg. HBO, Fox and I can free my EOC to bring my wireless router upstairs. Know any such tv box ?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eric3743...thanks for your detailed reply. I also tried TPLink homeplugs and it also gave up on me. My house is more than 20yrs old so wire circuitry may be old too. Also where the homeplug was, the room is very hot during the day.

My wife watches tv upstairs so I need direct fibre connection to STB there. Other than that, its just simply wifi that everyone needs. In the past whenever signal drops, everyone switches to their data. Frankly no one cares about speed. I am the one who feel my 1GB broadband is wasted but I am working and typing this from overseas. With homeplug I get only ~200Mbps and now with wifi extenders, less than that but whole house is covered at least.

Another option is to get a third party tv box where I can get Netflix and any other overseas channels eg. HBO, Fox and I can free my EOC to bring my wireless router upstairs. Know any such tv box ?

There are some tips on improving homeplug performance but not sure if related to your issues or not > Here! and > here!

So your only solution would be Mesh which is much better than wifi extenders in terms of speed and coverage.
Mesh would be similar to mobile data network where with a single SSID and auto-roaming would be possible.

Anyway Starhub new mobile plans do have big data &or unlimited data (this refer to VAS Data add-on +$20 for 50GB with worry-free data, beside the promotinal free unlimited weekend + 10GB).

There is this > Starhub Go Streaming Box as part of alternative to Starhub Fibre TV.
I am not in any Android box although i did consider Starhub Go Streaming box which is an Android TV box; prior my recontract to HomeHub package.

The Streaming box do have TV channels refer to > Listings of live channels
Note that the cost $199 is for standalone Box but it come with Free 6 months on Starhub Go Family $14.90 and > Go Select $9.90 which this effectively the box cost about $50, note that subscription would required to opt-out if not required.

Beside the Starhub Go there are others such as HBO, Fox+, etc.
For HBO is available in both > Starhub Go and Starhub TV subscription; and able to use > HBO Go Singapore App to watch & login via Hub ID.
Best to subscribe to HBO is via Starhub TV so that you can watch using Fibre TV STB.
While Fox+ is in Starhub Go and Fox movies pack in > TV channels but i am not sure if both are same or not, and pricing are different.

Although some apps may not be available in this Streaming box but it come with official Google Chromecast which there are plenty of > Chromecast Apps available.
Beside if you subscribe to Starhub TV then using Starhub Go app via Chromecast you still able to watch subscribed TV channels, since subscription to Starhub Go as VAS is $2 /month.

Well there are a lot of Android box and note that there is also Android TV box, an official for Android TV OS separate from Android OS.

There is an existing thread on Android TV box (including Android box) > Android TV Box
There is this member {gregory_choo} who is expert on Android box and do have create a facebook on this subject.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.