HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

MoCA Network Setup

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #136

It will not affect the way you setup the moca adapters even if starhub cease their cable services.
Moca adapters just leverage on your existing coax lines in your house.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...kdl93uogneLxpA

After looking at this news, I started searching and stumbled on this thread.

Assuming my ONT is in the room, the starhub fibre modem would be placed there, I would be able to use the MoCA adaptors to connect to the new fibre TV setup box placed in my living room right?

Refering to the opening post, I have to locate where the coaxial enters my house and remove the cable from outside and my home coaxial cabling will be "linked"?
mqseries88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #137

It will not affect the way you setup the moca adapters even if starhub cease their cable services.
Moca adapters just leverage on your existing coax lines in your house.
Thanks, guess my first task is to try to locate the entry point to my unit.
Twiddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #138

Talking

This is a very useful info. I'm facing the the cabletv is going to be replaced by FibreTV problem. My place is wired for Cat6 at least but i didn't expect that for the same cable to carry FibreTV and internet needs a somewhat complicated vlan setup (i've explored the forums but really couldn't find something that has both internet and fibretv on same cable with multiple fibretv set top boxes).

Thus after locating the starhub cable entry point in my riser, i realise that converting all my cabletv coax points into a secondary network for FibreTv is possible! cheers.

Need your expert advice on how i can get multiple fibretv set top boxes to work on same moca network?

eg. Can this work? Looks weird to me

Coax with POE Filter---Splitter-----Coax1---- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax2---- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax3----FibreTV ONT-----FibrePt

Or must I put a switch after all the Coax1/2/3.

Coax with POE Filter---Splitter-----Coax1--Switch-- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax2--Switch--- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax3--Switch---FibreTV ONT-----FibrePt

Just converted my PowerLine setup to MoCA network. Was getting 150 Mbps max on PowerLine and now reaching 800/900 Mbps.

Main reason was to switch to FibreTV and PowerLine was too narrow.

Bought two TP Link SG108E and configured the switch port to MoCA Convertor to Trunk Port for Data and FibreTV VLAN (1091).

ONT Fibre TV and first set top box is plug in to first switch and both ports are configured for FibreTV VLAN while the rest of the ports are configured as Data VLAN and the router is plugged into one of them.

2nd set top box is directly connected to MoCA converter without a switch in a separate room.

3rd MoCA converter is connected to another room and the 2nd switch is connected for Data VLAN only.

The only thing to note is that the set top boxes cannot boot up correctly if IGMP Snooping is enabled (by default) so it needs to be disabled on the switch with FibreTV VLAN.

This cause additional multicast traffic on the MoCA trunk since the IPTV traffic is multicast. My Speedtest deteriorate by 50Mbps because of this but is a small price to pay.

Last edited by absolutepitch828; 09-11-2018 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: formatting of diagram
absolutepitch828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #139
Supremacy Member

MOCA is about to become very important in Singapore what with Starhub forcing every cable user - including those with no ethernet infrastructure to move to fiber.

I currently have MOCA running in a point to point setup for my fiber uplink. I disconnected this individual coax run from the splitter.

Once I get converted to fiber I figure I will just run MOCA all over so I can continue using the coaxial ports throughout the house.
DragonFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #140

MOCA is about to become very important in Singapore what with Starhub forcing every cable user - including those with no ethernet infrastructure to move to fiber.
Not that important lah. Only to very few users. The StarHub Cable User will most likely go to Fibre TV, or go to the Streaming Box, or jump ship to SingTel TV, or forgo StarHub/SingTel TV altogether.

As for the Ethernet infrastructure, it is good to have and MOCA is one alternative solution. But most people are okay with no Ethernet infrastructure across the house, WiFi Mesh is the way to go. Wireless repeater and power line are good enough for some too like I.

So in the end, even though MOCA is good, it is only a very small niche.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #141

Both setups will work. You will want to place a switch when you want more lan points or wifi points such as AP or wifi mesh after the moca adapter. It will reduce network latency compared to setting up only repeater or mesh wifi. Important factor for online gamers. If there is only a single lan device to connect, you could just directly link to moca adapter.

This is a very useful info. I'm facing the the cabletv is going to be replaced by FibreTV problem. My place is wired for Cat6 at least but i didn't expect that for the same cable to carry FibreTV and internet needs a somewhat complicated vlan setup (i've explored the forums but really couldn't find something that has both internet and fibretv on same cable with multiple fibretv set top boxes).

Thus after locating the starhub cable entry point in my riser, i realise that converting all my cabletv coax points into a secondary network for FibreTv is possible! cheers.

Need your expert advice on how i can get multiple fibretv set top boxes to work on same moca network?

mqseries88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #142

Basically, you can think of the Coax cable as a switch. If you only connect FibreTV ONT port and FibreTV devices, you only need the MoCA to Ethernet Converters. The switch is only required for VLAN configuration to separate the normal network traffic from the FibreTV network.
coldkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #143
Supremacy Member

Not that important lah. Only to very few users. The StarHub Cable User will most likely go to Fibre TV, or go to the Streaming Box, or jump ship to SingTel TV, or forgo StarHub/SingTel TV altogether.

As for the Ethernet infrastructure, it is good to have and MOCA is one alternative solution. But most people are okay with no Ethernet infrastructure across the house, WiFi Mesh is the way to go. Wireless repeater and power line are good enough for some too like I.

So in the end, even though MOCA is good, it is only a very small niche.
The main affected people will those in landed running 3 phase power. Wifi mesh is dodgy in larger multistorey houses, and power line devices do not work well across electrical phases.

But yes I agree with you that in the end, it is a very small niche.

I think it is important to educate potential users though, as messing with the coaxial network can cause disruptions to users still relying on the system from now to signal cut.

Most important to install is probably the point of entry signal filter that prevents MOCA frequencies from propagating to other users of the network.

The MOCA adapters available on the internet do NOT come with this vital part.

The other bit is less important, which is to properly terminate any cables left dangling - especially if it is the incoming cable that a homeowner might disconnect to avoid installation of the PoE filter.
Old 19-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #144
Supremacy Member

Basically, you can think of the Coax cable as a switch. If you only connect FibreTV ONT port and FibreTV devices, you only need the MoCA to Ethernet Converters. The switch is only required for VLAN configuration to separate the normal network traffic from the FibreTV network.
Ahem! Hub. Not switch. Hub.
Old 19-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #145
Arch-Supremacy Member

Don't know this MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter will have good discount price this coming Black Friday sale or not
cybertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #146
Supremacy Member

Just bought 2 Motorola MM1000 off Ebay; direct adapter-adapter connection showed 940mbps when running iPerf3 with 20 parallel requests.

After deploying the adapters in the house with 2 levels of 1 GHz splitters (9 cable points) with CATV amplifier and POE filter before the 1st level splitter, iPerf3 shows 830Mbps.

I am wondering if the lack of terminators at unused cable points is causing the loss of 110Mbps.

Has anyone seen bandwidth improvements after terminating unused cable points?
1 Ghz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #147
Supremacy Member

Saw this on Starhub's support page on bridging the distance between the fiber ONT and STB via coaxial when the STB is too far away.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/supp...-fibre-tv.html

Not sure how recent that page is, but seems like if multiple STB are involved, it would be much more efficient to use MOCA instead of CAT5/6 for the structure cabling.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/for-...t-top-box.html

Last edited by 1 Ghz; 03-12-2018 at 11:23 AM..
1 Ghz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #148

A quick question to all the gurus here. I opened up the Starhub box in my riser and found what looks like the splitter as shown in the pic. I assume Starhub's incoming signal is the black cable and the other white cables (used to be) are to the various coaxial outlets, so it is correct to install the PoE filter in between the splitter and the black cable? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jazz2005; 28-12-2018 at 05:17 PM..
jazz2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #149

A quick question to all the gurus here. I opened up the Starhub box in my riser and found what looks like the splitter as shown in the pic. I assume Starhub's incoming signal is the black cable and the other white cables (used to be) are to the various coaxial outlets, so it is correct to install the PoE filter in between the splitter and the black cable? Thanks in advance.

Yes but how come there are so many outgoing white cables (white cables are suppose to go into your unit), I counted 6 white cables ? Yours is how many rooms flat ?
jowy_ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 12:17 AM   #150

Yes but how come there are so many outgoing white cables (white cables are suppose to go into your unit), I counted 6 white cables ? Yours is how many rooms flat ?
Thanks for confirming where to add the PoE filter. My place is a cluster terrace with a total of 7 coaxial outlet, 1 in each of 5 rooms and 1 in the living room and 1 in the basement.
jazz2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.