MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Homeplug can get -200Mbps, cannot run Fibre TV meh?
Anyhow here is Moca thread leh...

Upstair only got 1 TV point meh, other room don’t have? Plse study TS post #1, find the coax splitter before asking further. Thanks.

Last edited:

SLT246

Reaction score
JustDoLor ... thanks. You are right. I can use separate homeplugs just for fibre tv and leave the EOC to bring bb signals upstairs.

eric3743...man...appreciate your time to give me so many options. I'm glad I finally registered here. Kind of difficult to talk to anyone about these issues at home when I'm not physically there. I see lots going on at Forced from Cable to Fibre TV forum too....

khorsoo

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I'm trying out this MoCA option for the fun of it. The idea of reusing the coaxial connection 1Gbps for something already there sounds interesting. I fumbled upon Moca while looking through powerline adaptors. I already have 3 wireless routers at home connected through wired connection but somehow my last room connection seems a bit flimsy. Thought I will use the scv point in that room which is next to my pc and this MOCA sounds fascinating.

I have access to my main scv box outside my home. It looks locked but it isn't. It also seems no one is connected. My line to the main box has been disconnected and connected to a white coaxial which goes up don't know where. There are 3 splits 1x 3.5dbi and 2x 7dbi. Not sure what are they for. In the house there is another splitter to 2 units.1 I know is to the scv box in hall. Another not sure where.

I see I need to get a POE to avoid connection back into the starhub network. What if I simply disconnect the main in?

WTF!!!!!

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MoCA work best if both ends are disconnected from SCV signal

both end must not be connected to the SCV connectors box outside

Hello everyone
I'm trying out this MoCA option for the fun of it. The idea of reusing the coaxial connection 1Gbps for something already there sounds interesting. I fumbled upon Moca while looking through powerline adaptors. I already have 3 wireless routers at home connected through wired connection but somehow my last room connection seems a bit flimsy. Thought I will use the scv point in that room which is next to my pc and this MOCA sounds fascinating.

I have access to my main scv box outside my home. It looks locked but it isn't. It also seems no one is connected. My line to the main box has been disconnected and connected to a white coaxial which goes up don't know where. There are 3 splits 1x 3.5dbi and 2x 7dbi. Not sure what are they for. In the house there is another splitter to 2 units.1 I know is to the scv box in hall. Another not sure where.

I see I need to get a POE to avoid connection back into the starhub network. What if I simply disconnect the main in?

khorsoo

Reaction score
In that case I should not even need the POE filter? I just plug out the " in" from main SCV to my main splitter good enough right?
I ordered 2 units of Motorola Moca adapter. 1 MOCA POE and 1x 3 way splitter. I don't have to change anything at the SCV box in the rooms? Or do I need to replace splitter in room SCV box?

Anyone know the out 3DBI is for what? The rest are 7DBI..

MoCA work best if both ends are disconnected from SCV signal

both end must not be connected to the SCV connectors box outside

khorsoo

Reaction score
In that case I should not even need the POE filter? I just plug out the " in" from main SCV to my main splitter good enough right?
I ordered 2 units of Motorola Moca adapter. 1 MOCA POE and 1x 3 way splitter. I don't have to change anything at the SCV box in the rooms? Or do I need to replace splitter in room SCV box?

Anyone know the out 3DBI is for what? The rest are 7DBI.

WTF!!!!!

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Motorola Moca adapter?
bonded 2.0 MoCA?

Anyone know the out 3DBI is for what? The rest are 7DBI..

khorsoo

Reaction score
Well I meant Motorola MOCA Device. Yes it's the bonded 2.0 MoCA. Well I got the setup up and running but I'm only getting 100mbps as the speed on my PC in the room. Shouldn't I be getting Giga connection and the speed is near 1gbps?

I plugged out the main source of connection from Starhub to my splitter outside my house. Well it was the same with or without the connection from Starhub but to avoid my connection going out to other house hold I thought I better. The splitter is 5-1000mhz.

Motorola Moca adapter?
bonded 2.0 MoCA?

whanafi

Reaction score
Switched from Starhub cable to Fibre and used MOCA

I really wanted to thank you for your detailed post on how to use MOCA. I had never heard of the technology before and was desperate to find a way to keep internet service in our flat.

Our building is 40 years old and has thick concrete walls, so Wi-Fi is just a dream. I held off converting simply because the distance from the Optical Termination Point to my office is impossible to wire. As a tenant, the landlord would never agree, and even if I did want to try running wire, it would mean ugly plastic tracking all over the flat.

I found the ActionTec MOCA 2.0 transceivers on Newegg and ordered 4, in order to have Interent in each room. No problem with delivery, though Newegg did a terrible job of packing, with the transceiver boxes loose in a larger shipping ox. Luckily nothing seems to have been damaged.

After the Starhub guy arrived, I told him that I would be using MOCA to move the signal back into the old Coax wiring. He said this was impossible as it only worked for TV. I asked him how Starhub transmits digital TV and he said IP. I waited for the light bulb to come on, but it never did.

Apparently Starhub has taught their techs that MOCA or EOCC (Ethernet over coax cable) is only suitable for TV. Data is data, so I ignored that.

I did ask the tech to put a Point of Entry Filter on my coax at the distribution box. He had no idea of what I was talking about, but did agree to detach the wire to isolate my cable. I was worried that I still needed a terminator (75 ohm) but as it turns out, it works without.

After the tech had finished installing everything, I signed off and he left.

At that point I attached the two ActionTec transceivers - one into the cable point beside the new fibre, and one into my office where the cable modem had been. There was nothing else to do. The units saw each other immediately with all green status lights on.

I use a Synology router and did not want a Linksys in my network, so I removed the router Starhub provides, and put mine in its place. This also meant my wifi and router settings were intact.

I then attached an Ethernet cable from the ActionTec to my router, and an Ethernet cable from the other ActionTec to a switch in my office. It worked instantly, showing 989Mbs down and 898Mbs up ACROSS THE COAX.

To say I am pleased is an understatement. I have full speed service using the existing coax wiring, and still have my own router and security in place.

The only loss is my digital voice service. On cable, the modem was in my office and I had a phone attached to provide voice service. With the new setup, the modem is in the living room with the TV, and there is no way to extend that to my office. I will try a cordless phone but given the distance and concrete walls, I am not hopeful.

Sharing my journey with setting up MoCA at my home - I hope it is useful to somebody. Please note the following is just my experience and not everything might be technically correct. Any feedback or addition is welcome - I'm always happy to learn!

##################################################################
#### STORY #########################################################

I recently switched from Starhub 100Mbps Cable Broadband to ViewQwest 2Gbps Fibre Broadband and with that change I also wanted to solve my annoying WiFi connectivity issues whilst using the actual bandwidth I'm paying for. The only way to get fast internet to my computer in a room that it furthest away from the fibre termination point in the living room was via wired connection.

Unfortunately, my building does not have Ethernet wiring and I'm not really interested in having any cable lying lose between rooms. I haven't made any good experience with PowerLine devices in the past (Ethernet over electrical wiring) and the only other thing I stumbled across was MoCA - which finally solved all my issues and gives me around 950Mbps internet access.

Here is my current setup at home with fibre internet provided by ViewQwest. Starhub is in the diagram as they used to provide me with cable internet and TV.
yWPpLYC.png

#### FUNDAMENTALS ###################################################

MoCA stands for 'Multimedia over Coax Alliance'. The technology behind that term allows the distribution of ethernet data over the existing in-home coaxial TV cabling. Simply said, it can convert a Ethernet signal to run over coaxial cables. MoCA networking can co-exist with video data on the same coax cable.

---ethernet-cable-----[MoCA Device]=====coax-cable=====[MoCA Device]-----ethernet-cable---

MoCA version 1.0 was approved in March 2006, MoCA 1.1 in April 2010, MoCA 2.0 in June 2010 and MoCA 2.5 in April 2016. Technical throughput specifications are:

• MoCA 1.0 ---> 100 Mbit/s
• MoCA 1.1 ---> 175 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.0 ---> 500 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.0 bonded ---> 1.0 Gbp/s
• MoCA 2.1 ---> 500 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.1 bonded ---> 1.0 Gbp/s
• MoCA 2.5 ---> 2.5 Gbp/s

MoCA uses frequencies between 500MHz to 1650MHz (dependent on the application). Cable companies typically use frequencies up to 1000MHz to send signals, satellite dishes usually use frequencies above 1000MHz.

#### POE FILTER ######################################################

In order for MoCA to work, a 'Point Of Entry Filter' needs to be installed into the main coax cable before it branches off into different coax outlets of your flat. The cable connection can be found at an entry point into your premises such as a riser cabinet or a cable distribution box within your home.

The filter simply blocks MoCA frequencies going back into your cable providers network (or your neighbours network) and potentially interfering with the network or system elements.

Alternatively, the incoming main coax cable can also be disconnected from your home network if no service is used by the cable provider (just ensure to add a 75 Ohm terminator cap to your coax splitter).

Either ways - one solution is mandatory! For me, Starhub installed the POE filter in the riser cabinet free of cost - the filter used is a 'Soontai LPF-1002M3'.

[Starhub]====>[POE Filter]====>[Home Coax Network]

A4hE5A9.jpg

w5AXG0W.jpg

#### COAX SPLITTER ###################################################

Depending on your home network you may have more than one coax cable outlet. If so, it is most likely that a 'coax splitter' is used. A coax splitter has one input where the provider signal enters the splitter and at least two outputs where the signal leaves the splitter to go to devices. If multiple devices are using the splitter, the signal for each device will be weaker than if the signal went straight to a single device without running through the splitter. The more times the signal is split the weaker it will become.

[Starhub]

[POE Filter]

[Splitter]
‖ ‖ ‖ ‖
‖ ‖ ‖ +===> [Coax Outlet] Living Room
‖ ‖ ‖
‖ ‖ +======> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Master
‖ ‖
‖ +=========> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Large Common

+============> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Small Common

Most coax splitter have a frequency band filter built in and a label on the splitter indicating the frequency band (for example '5-1000 Mhz'). This means, that the splitter blocks any frequencies outside of this range in any direction. Whilst MoCA operates some frequency bands above this range it should not affect the performance in any meaningful way.

If you happen to encounter issues you can try to replace the coax splitter with another frequency band model such as '5-1500 Mhz' or '5-1750 Mhz'. Another issue might be that the coax splitter in use is extremely old and has ferite cores instead of an integrated circuits. In any case, you can find modern replacement splitters in Sim Lim Square #03-69 at 'UF Technology'.

ygzDpjK.jpg

epKleDF.jpg

#### CONNECTIVITY ####################################################

I used RG-6 coax cables and Ethernet CAT6 cables for my home network in order to minimise any potential cabeling issues. Bespoke length RG-6 cables can be ordered in Sim Lim Tower #02-25 at 'LHS Electronics Enterprise' and I found decent quality Ethernet CAT6 cables in Sim Lim Square #04-01 at 'Cybermind'. I also tried to avoid any additional connectors (such as 90° F-type connectors) on my coax cables.

#### MOCA DEVICES ####################################################

According to my research in August 2017, the most recommended and discussed MoCA device on the internet is the 'Actiontec ECB6200 Bonded MoCA 2.0' which promises speeds up to 1Gbps. I ordered directly from Amazon Prime in the first days of the Singapore launch and the package arrived a few hours later. It includes the following:

• 2x Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA devices (120 x 65 x 26 mm)
• 2x AC Adapter (ADP #WA-10P05FU, US Plug Type A 100-240V, 1.3mm connector 5V DC/2A)
• 2x RG6 coax cable (Male F connectors, black, 50cm)
• 2x CAT5E ethernet cable (RJ45 connectors, yellow, 100cm)
• 1x Starburst Technologies 2-way coaxial splitter (5-1675Mhz)

Replacement AC adaptor devices with a UK Plug Type G for Singapore can be bought in Sim Lim Tower #01-05 at 'Ask Electronic' or at #B1-36B at 'IDO Technologies' but the easier solution is just to use a fused adapter.

[Router]---->[MoCA Device]====>[Coax Outlet]====>[Coax Outlet]====>[MoCA Device]---->[PC]

lfChtmN.jpg

I personally do not recommend any of the advertised DirectTV devices. First, the power adapter is built with an US plug and ONLY operates at 120 Volts. Second, the devices can not co-exist with any video signal as they operate on the same frequency as your TV signal. And in my tests the internet transfer speeds I reached were at maximum ~65Mbps.

1hbP5t7.jpg

#### ECB6200 WEBINTERFACE #############################################

Whilst the Actiontec ECB6200 is a 'plug-and-play' device that doest not require any setup it still can be accessed via a web interface in order to gather more device information. Here are the steps:

• Unplug all cables connected to the Actiontec ECB6200
• Connect the ECB6200 to power and ensure that the 'Power' LED lights up
• Connect your computer via Ethernet cable to the ECB6200
• Set your computers Ethernet IP address to 192.168.144.10
• Set your computers gateway IP address to 192.168.144.1
• Start a browser and open 192.168.144.30

The interface is quite minimalistic with no real configuration options. Here are my default device details for the curious:

Device Info
• Board ID: 6802ECB
• SW Version: 2.11.1.50.6200.7
• RF Channel: 1150
• Band: Band D Extended

Configuration
• MoCA Password: xxxxxx
• MoCA Privacy: Disable
• RF Channel: 1150
• RF Band: Band D Extended
• RF Switch: Hi

##########################################################################################
#### LINKS ###############################################################################
##########################################################################################
Before you jump into turning your home network over check out the links below to get a better understand and idea if MoCA works for your home network.

MoCA Technology
http://www.drmoron.org/tv-moca/
http://millennials1st.house/blog/a-sip-of-moca

Coax Splitter
http://cable-connector.sg/page_127.html

ActionTec ECB6200
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCaZqxVAJE
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=actiontec-moca2-network
http://wegotserved.com/2015/12/10/r...ess-network-extender-adapter-bonded-moca-2-0/
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Networ...work-Extender-and-ECB6200-Network-Adapter-Rev

Other Stuff
http://support.channelmaster.com/hc...ch-Signal-Do-I-Lose-Going-Through-A-Splitter-
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...moca-ethernet-over-coax-adapters-3310854.html
http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/moca-networking-splitter-type.519676/
http://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...tible-splitter-killing-internet-speed.547686/

WTF!!!!!

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well I meant Motorola MOCA Device. Yes it's the bonded 2.0 MoCA. Well I got the setup up and running but I'm only getting 100mbps as the speed on my PC in the room. Shouldn't I be getting Giga connection and the speed is near 1gbps?

I plugged out the main source of connection from Starhub to my splitter outside my house. Well it was the same with or without the connection from Starhub but to avoid my connection going out to other house hold I thought I better. The splitter is 5-1000mhz.

Direct measn NO SPLITTER!

Direct from one MoCA to other MoCA measn NO SPLITTER!

looking at the spec of MoCA
using splitter 5 -1000Mhz give you 100Mbps link
using splitter 5 -2300Mhz give you 1000Mbps link

51mXxNszhwL.jpg

moca 2.0 has to use ALL splitter 5 - 2300MHz to get 1000Mbps
if ONE of the splitter is 5-1000Mhz you get 100Mbps

Last edited:

khorsoo

Reaction score
Thanks. I got it figured. Now getting 1gbps connection to my PC instead of 100mbps but the speed I'm getting from my provider is about 400mbps download and 600mbps upload.

The 2x Motorola MoCA devices all came with POE filters. I had bought one thinking they wont. So those buying the Motorola MOCA device take note.

I'm not satisfied with the speed considering it could be faster. But I'm more than happy with it at the moment as our corner room has a speedier and more stable connection compared to wifi which gave me about 20-30mbps patchy connection.

I can't direct without a splitter. Maybe I change the splitter outside my house to the one I have which is 5-1675Mhz, and see if the speed improves. Keep you guys posted.

Direct measn NO SPLITTER!

Direct from one MoCA to other MoCA measn NO SPLITTER!

looking at the spec of MoCA
using splitter 5 -1000Mhz give you 100Mbps link
using splitter 5 -2300Mhz give you 1000Mbps link

moca 2.0 has to use ALL splitter 5 - 2300MHz to get 1000Mbps
if ONE of the splitter is 5-1000Mhz you get 100Mbps

kenplicity

Reaction score
I recently have starhub done the moca setup for the Fibre TV. To my surprise, it is more laggy. I then ran the speed test under Netflix app in the starhub TV box. I get barely 19mbps only. Is it normal?

khorsoo

Reaction score
Doesn't sound normal. Starhub did the moca setup for you?
Lowest I got was 100mbps. Now trying to tweak to make it better. Probably change splitter outside my house. I disconnected starhub connection coming into the splitter. I tried with and without the POE seems the same only.

Maybe if you explain your connection it will be clearer.

I recently have starhub done the moca setup for the Fibre TV. To my surprise, it is more laggy. I then ran the speed test under Netflix app in the starhub TV box. I get barely 19mbps only. Is it normal?

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Maybe u bought the cheapo DECA iso MoCA?

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Maybe u should try to connect direct to check how fast it can go?
TWZvrQP.jpg

Or maybe u can tested out your house cable quality by skipping the splitter first? Use an F-to-F connectors to join the 2 cables:
ae235

And can try changing the MoCA frequency.

Add the POE at the splitter-in to maximise the reflected signal strength.

Thanks. I got it figured. Now getting 1gbps connection to my PC instead of 100mbps but the speed I'm getting from my provider is about 400mbps download and 600mbps upload.

The 2x Motorola MoCA devices all came with POE filters. I had bought one thinking they wont. So those buying the Motorola MOCA device take note.

I'm not satisfied with the speed considering it could be faster. But I'm more than happy with it at the moment as our corner room has a speedier and more stable connection compared to wifi which gave me about 20-30mbps patchy connection.

I can't direct without a splitter. Maybe I change the splitter outside my house to the one I have which is 5-1675Mhz, and see if the speed improves. Keep you guys posted.

kenplicity

Reaction score
Doesn't sound normal. Starhub did the moca setup for you?
Lowest I got was 100mbps. Now trying to tweak to make it better. Probably change splitter outside my house. I disconnected starhub connection coming into the splitter. I tried with and without the POE seems the same only.

Maybe if you explain your connection it will be clearer.
Yes. Starhub did setup for me. They provided the hardware too. Maybe Netflix server restrict the speed.... Maybe

feintan

Reaction score
Yes. Starhub did setup for me. They provided the hardware too. Maybe Netflix server restrict the speed.... Maybe

Sorry, dont quite understand, Why Go through the hassle of using starhub or Singnet IPTV that need another cable connection?

Meaning during Reno need to lay 2 lan cable in every room instead of just 1 to share the internet connection if want to watch starhub or singnet IPTV in every room.

Why not just buy a andriod TV box in Sim Lim SQ and run Netflix from it via internet. For singapore TV show can install Toggle, can install NetFlix, Youtube. you can play game, work watch movies just by using 1 Lan cable.

feintan

Reaction score
Back to the MoCA topic

So now If I want to use my existing MoCA Cable in my house to all My 3 Bedroom with 1gb speed, I need to purchase 04x Actiontec Bonded 2.0 Moca adapters and pay starhub to come my house to open the lock box Outside my House to disconnect the cable going out and fill it with a terminator cap? Or I can just use a big screwdriver to force open the box myself? from what I see that Starhub cable outside is my property as it's paid with the HDB I bought.

So from living Room
Router -> 01 Actiontec Bonded 2.0 Moca adapters will send signal to another 03 Actiontec Bonded 2.0 Moca adapters in the rooms and share the near 1gb speed?

Do I need to replace the splitter and which splitter Freq should I buy to replace if I wanted to get the highest possible speed?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think Starhub does not use MOCA but rather it uses EOCC/EOC.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/services-and-plans/tv-getting-started/eocc-for-fibre-tv.html

http://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...arted/ethernet-over-coaxial-for-fibre-tv.html

The EOCC or EOC is meant for Fibre TV. So the speed may not be great for Internet.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry, dont quite understand, Why Go through the hassle of using starhub or Singnet IPTV that need another cable connection?

Why not just buy a andriod TV box in Sim Lim SQ and run Netflix from it via internet. For singapore TV show can install Toggle, can install NetFlix, Youtube. you can play game, work watch movies just by using 1 Lan cable.

Just one advice, do not buy any Android TV boxes with preloaded apps from Sim Lim Square. You will regret soon, high cost low quality hardware, dubious apps.

If you need Netflix, buy Mi Box S from Lazada/Shower/Qoo10. It supports 4K Netflix. Non certified device will not be able to run Netflix at HD. The cost is around S$70-90 depending on offer.

More info on Android TV boxes here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-show-central-show-2019-394/android-tv-box-5678618-93.html

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.