HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

MoCA Network Setup

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #181

Anyone has the moca thing from starhub?

I've a choice of either running a ethernet wire which involves surface trunking or run it through this moca thing. Just want to get the review for starhub device itself
kutysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #182

Hi is this thread about the cable directtv now?
I believe this thread would be a hot topic since they going to abolish the use of the cable networks so might be a good time to look into this
chowhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #183

There are many industrial standards and each country is entitled to choose from the one to go, just like 2G (GSM vs CDMA), 3G, and 4G in terms of mobile network.

If IMDA says MoCA standard is not adopted in Singapore, I myself will not buy MoCA adapters. Anyway, just my personal preferences.
Then prepare to pay more for your starhub TV and broadband for laying additional ONT if you have any as i have seen through the setup for 1 home that uses the new fibre TV, it is not as simple as you think.

At first i thought it to be simple, later on, i check the diagrams then i woke up from my sleep. It is not simple.

Example:

The older type of the houses 1990s and before, have their ONT near to the TV or their corridor which wont be an issue and those that have collected their keys (Tampines greenridge) - their entire house is networked up using Cat 6e data cable which wont be an issue.

Now the real thing, for those in between these 2 eras, their ONT is usually near to the power switch board with a network port which links to the living room network port.

If you had fibre broadband and fibre TV, here is the tricky part.

From the ONT, port 1 is for your fibre broadband and you will think that you can share right. Wrong, you cant share the network between fibre broadband and fibre TV. So they will ask you to plug it in to port 2 which they will configure solely for the TV.

Issue here is that you only have 1 data port that connects the living room to your box.

Solution: There are a couple of them that i find be able to work it out.
1) Converting your RJ11 ports to RJ45 ports (data networked)
2) Using a MoCA solution which converts your existing coaxial cable into ethernet line

For those who are unsure of how starhub's fibre TV and fibre bradband works in your home.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #184

Anyone has the moca thing from starhub?

I've a choice of either running a ethernet wire which involves surface trunking or run it through this moca thing. Just want to get the review for starhub device itself
you could also cnvert your existing telephone line to cat 6e (data), just need to convert the ports
Old 01-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #185

Town Council replied that it is HDB business. Still waiting for HDB to reply.
Will they opened up the box to let me install the POE filter?
It isn't HDB as well, you have to contact starhub as they have the key.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #186

i am surprised that this thread is still alive. i have been using this cheap setup for years a miserly us$20 that is still going strong

because the infrastructure is already set up and it is not utilised: most of us are either watching local channels through the miotv/starhub/m1 set-top boxes or receiving the channels through the free-to-air antennae so you may use these sockets on the wall faceplates to transmit data instead. and the devices to do so are relatively cheap, less than us$20

more information here http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/10...1-post128.html

gld998 likes this.
terry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #187
High Supremacy Member

i am surprised that this thread is still alive. i have been using this cheap setup for years a miserly us$20 that is still going strong
I think I will get this a try...
Old 03-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #188

on the up side the motorola/zyxel moca adapters are at least cheaper now at US$60 per unit. Actiontec one looks hideous.

I'll figure what to do when my cable dies.
Most houses simply have single Cat6 to all living areas with a central termination point. MOCA/COAX is a good idea to double up as a 2nd cable run around the house.

After research:
Starhub FibreTV would need a dedicated cable run to carry FibreTV signal NO MATTER what. period. one port will simply not carry fibreTV and internet. this sucks if u ask me.

SingtelMioTV is flexible. at most need IGMP enabled switches (cheap) before setup box. none of this cable run nonsense.

Motorola:
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Adap...&keywords=moca

Zyxel:
https://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Etherne...&keywords=moca
absolutepitch828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #189

MoCa / EOC

I see many tech savvy guys here so maybe someone can help me.

Can fibre broadband and fibre tv signals run on the same coaxial cable via EOC ?

I am one of those affected by switch from cable tv to fibre tv in June. Starhub came to install EOCs last week.

My wireless router is directly connected to ONT both on ground floor. One EOC was connected to ONT and another EOC is upstairs and connected to digital setup box for fibre tv.

I want to move my wireless router upstairs but coaxial terminal downstairs is already used for EOC with fibre tv signals.

Any suggestions what I can do ?
SLT246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #190

Think of it as u have cold water and hot water. If you want to run both thr a single pipe. U will need something that is able to merge the two from the source and split the two at the destination.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #191
Supremacy Member

I see many tech savvy guys here so maybe someone can help me.

Can fibre broadband and fibre tv signals run on the same coaxial cable via EOC ?

I am one of those affected by switch from cable tv to fibre tv in June. Starhub came to install EOCs last week.

My wireless router is directly connected to ONT both on ground floor. One EOC was connected to ONT and another EOC is upstairs and connected to digital setup box for fibre tv.

I want to move my wireless router upstairs but coaxial terminal downstairs is already used for EOC with fibre tv signals.

Any suggestions what I can do ?
Starhub broadband/internet and TV signal cannot be mixed, as far as i know & understand.
Unless via complicate smart switches & settings, refer to Thread link at the bottom.

The other option is to use powerline but would depend on the electrical circuity.

Example; AV1000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit - HomePlug AV2 standard compliant.

Most discussion on this topic Starhub Fibre TV matter would be in this thread;
> Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #192

I see. Had tried power plugs twice before. Results not good.

So fibre tv has to have cable connection ? What's StarHub Go ?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #193
Supremacy Member

I see. Had tried power plugs twice before. Results not good.

So fibre tv has to have cable connection ? What's StarHub Go ?
Is your powerline is HomePlug AV2 standard compliant.

Starhub Go is streaming video (movies, dramas, channels) and do not necessary require any STB (Set Top Box).

For more details > https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/1...7-post243.html

Beside they do have their own Starhub Go Streaming Box in their > website

Note: Please avoid posting the topics on Starhub TV & Go here if not relating to MOCA network discussion. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #194

Yes. AV2 compliant I think. Used Sineoji then TPLink homeplugs.

I am really new here although had been following for some time trying to find solutions to my problem.

OK. My ONT is on the ground floor and I used homeplugs and placed my wireless router on 2nd floor which more or less cover the whole house. Desktop is cable connected to this router in the same room. STB was on 3rd floor and I was still using cable tv.

Homeplugs gave up twice and now wireless router is directly connected to ONT on ground floor and wifi extenders used on 2nd and 3rd floor. Lost a lot of speed as result but at least can use on each floor.

Now had to switch to fibre tv so ONT with wireless router still on ground floor and with EOC, fibre tv STB is on 3rd floor.

My wish is to move wireless router back to 2nd floor again, if possible, until I realized fibre broadband and tv signals cannot be carried on same EOC to 2nd and 3rd floor respectively.

Maybe network mesh will give me better speeds than current wifi extenders but I was hoping to use existing coaxial network throughout the house in each room. So is there some kind of switch that will allow me to transfer broadband and tv signals from ONT to 2nd and 3rd floor respectively ?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #195
Supremacy Member

Yes. AV2 compliant I think. Used Sineoji then TPLink homeplugs.

I am really new here although had been following for some time trying to find solutions to my problem.

OK. My ONT is on the ground floor and I used homeplugs and placed my wireless router on 2nd floor which more or less cover the whole house. Desktop is cable connected to this router in the same room. STB was on 3rd floor and I was still using cable tv.

Homeplugs gave up twice and now wireless router is directly connected to ONT on ground floor and wifi extenders used on 2nd and 3rd floor. Lost a lot of speed as result but at least can use on each floor.

Now had to switch to fibre tv so ONT with wireless router still on ground floor and with EOC, fibre tv STB is on 3rd floor.

My wish is to move wireless router back to 2nd floor again, if possible, until I realized fibre broadband and tv signals cannot be carried on same EOC to 2nd and 3rd floor respectively.

Maybe network mesh will give me better speeds than current wifi extenders but I was hoping to use existing coaxial network throughout the house in each room. So is there some kind of switch that will allow me to transfer broadband and tv signals from ONT to 2nd and 3rd floor respectively ?
Not sure about Sineoji as most would recommend TP-Link models.

Since the premise do not have ethernet cable trunking or data points.

The next best option is Mesh which would give better wireless coverage.
Maybe you could google "Mesh network" to understand how it works.

Not recommended to use wifi extenders as the signal will be cut into half and depend on their link speed, etc.

Starhub do have this Google Wifi which is mesh as it is easy to setup & use.

There are other types of better Mesh such as > Advise on Ubiquiti products
Beside there are others such as > Linksys Velop, Asus Lyra, and more.

Still the best is to wired up with ethernet cable as trunking is not too difficult or complicate as it seem.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.