HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

MoCA Network Setup

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #16

MoCA users seem to be a rarity here.... All went MIA liao

Reading this latest feedback I think no one wanna use MoCA liao
Moca seemed to give good speeds when I measured using speedtest but there seemed to be buffering during streaming of online content such as IPTV. Once I changed to Orbi, the buffering is gone and the signal reaches the corners of home.
JustDoLor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #17

still here. no posts because it is working perfectly and there is nothing to complaint
terry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
Arch-Supremacy Member

It's like power line. Too much conversion and equipment.
mynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #19

It's like power line. Too much conversion and equipment.
unlike the power line which requires power reset to the unit once in a while, for this MoCA, i never need to do any power reset. the speed is very constant. it could be that the embedded coax cables are not used at all in the house any more by any other device
Old 13-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #20

Sharing my journey with setting up MoCA at my home - I hope it is useful to somebody. Please note the following is just my experience and not everything might be technically correct. Any feedback or addition is welcome - I'm always happy to learn! Unfortunately no pictures, diagrams, or links as the forum here doesn't trust me as a new member.

##################################################################
#### STORY #########################################################

I recently switched from Starhub 100Mbps Cable Broadband to ViewQwest 2Gbps Fibre Broadband and with that change I also wanted to solve my annoying WiFi connectivity issues whilst using the actual bandwidth I'm paying for. The only way to get fast internet to my computer in a room that it furthest away from the fibre termination point in the living room was via wired connection.

Unfortunately, my building does not have Ethernet wiring and I'm not really interested in having any cable lying lose between rooms. I haven't made any good experience with PowerLine devices in the past (Ethernet over electrical wiring) and the only other thing I stumbled across was MoCA - which finally solved all my issues and gives me around 950Mbps internet access.

#### FUNDAMENTALS ###################################################

MoCA stands for 'Multimedia over Coax Alliance'. The technology behind that term allows the distribution of ethernet data over the existing in-home coaxial TV cabling. Simply said, it can convert a Ethernet signal to run over coaxial cables. MoCA networking can co-exist with video data on the same coax cable.

---ethernet-cable-----[MoCA Device]=====coax-cable=====[MoCA Device]-----ethernet-cable---

MoCA version 1.0 was approved in March 2006, MoCA 1.1 in April 2010, MoCA 2.0 in June 2010 and MoCA 2.5 in April 2016. Technical throughput specifications are:

• MoCA 1.0 ---> 100 Mbit/s
• MoCA 1.1 ---> 175 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.0 ---> 500 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.0 bonded ---> 1.0 Gbp/s
• MoCA 2.1 ---> 500 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.1 bonded ---> 1.0 Gbp/s
• MoCA 2.5 ---> 2.5 Gbp/s

MoCA uses frequencies between 500MHz to 1650MHz (dependent on the application). Cable companies typically use frequencies up to 1000MHz to send signals, satellite dishes usually use frequencies above 1000MHz.

#### POE FILTER ######################################################

In order for MoCA to work, a 'Point Of Entry Filter' needs to be installed into the main coax cable before it branches off into different coax outlets of your flat. The cable connection can be found at an entry point into your premises such as a riser cabinet or a cable distribution box within your home.

The filter simply blocks MoCA frequencies going back into your cable providers network (or your neighbours network) and potentially interfering with the network or system elements.

Alternatively, the incoming main coax cable can also be disconnected from your home network if no service is used by the cable provider (just ensure to add a 75 Ohm terminator cap to your coax splitter).

Either ways - one solution is mandatory! For me, Starhub installed the POE filter in the riser cabinet free of cost - the filter used is a 'Soontai LPF-1002M3'.

[Starhub]====>[POE Filter]====>[Home Coax Network]

#### COAX SPLITTER ###################################################

Depending on your home network you may have more than one coax cable outlet. If so, it is most likely that a 'coax splitter' is used. A coax splitter has one input where the provider signal enters the splitter and at least two outputs where the signal leaves the splitter to go to devices. If multiple devices are using the splitter, the signal for each device will be weaker than if the signal went straight to a single device without running through the splitter. The more times the signal is split the weaker it will become.

[Starhub]

[POE Filter]

[Splitter]
‖ ‖ ‖ ‖
‖ ‖ ‖ +===> [Coax Outlet] Living Room
‖ ‖ ‖
‖ ‖ +======> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Master
‖ ‖
‖ +=========> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Large Common

+============> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Small Common

Most coax splitter have a frequency band filter built in and a label on the splitter indicating the frequency band (for example '5-1000 Mhz'). This means, that the splitter blocks any frequencies outside of this range in any direction. Whilst MoCA operates some frequency bands above this range it should not affect the performance in any meaningful way.

If you happen to encounter issues you can try to replace the coax splitter with another frequency band model such as '5-1500 Mhz' or '5-1750 Mhz'. Another issue might be that the coax splitter in use is extremely old and has ferite cores instead of an integrated circuits. In any case, you can find modern replacement splitters in Sim Lim Square #03-69 at 'UF Technology'.

#### CONNECTIVITY ####################################################

I used RG-6 coax cables and Ethernet CAT6 cables for my home network in order to minimise any potential cabeling issues. Bespoke length RG-6 cables can be ordered in Sim Lim Tower #02-25 at 'LHS Electronics Enterprise' and I found decent quality Ethernet CAT6 cables in Sim Lim Square #04-01 at 'Cybermind'. I also tried to avoid any additional connectors (such as 90° F-type connectors) on my coax cables.

#### MOCA DEVICES ####################################################

According to my research in August 2017, the most recommended and discussed MoCA device on the internet is the 'Actiontec ECB6200 Bonded MoCA 2.0' which promises speeds up to 1Gbps. I ordered directly from Amazon Prime in the first days of the Singapore launch and the package arrived a few hours later. It includes the following:

• 2x Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA devices (120 x 65 x 26 mm)
• 2x AC Adapter (ADP #WA-10P05FU, US Plug Type A 100-240V, 1.3mm connector 5V DC/2A)
• 2x RG6 coax cable (Male F connectors, black, 50cm)
• 2x CAT5E ethernet cable (RJ45 connectors, yellow, 100cm)
• 1x Starburst Technologies 2-way coaxial splitter (5-1675Mhz)

Replacement AC adaptor devices with a UK Plug Type G for Singapore can be bought in Sim Lim Tower #01-05 at 'Ask Electronic' or at #B1-36B at 'IDO Technologies' but the easier solution is just to use a fused adapter.

[Router]---->[MoCA Device]====>[Coax Outlet]====>[Coax Outlet]====>[MoCA Device]---->[PC]

#### ECB6200 WEBINTERFACE #############################################

Whilst the Actiontec ECB6200 is a 'plug-and-play' device that doest not require any setup it still can be accessed via a web interface in order to gather more device information. Here are the steps:

• Unplug all cables connected to the Actiontec ECB6200
• Connect the ECB6200 to power and ensure that the 'Power' LED lights up
• Connect your computer via Ethernet cable to the ECB6200
• Set your computers Ethernet IP address to 192.168.144.10
• Set your computers gateway IP address to 192.168.144.1
• Start a browser and open 192.168.144.30

The interface is quite minimalistic with no real configuration options. Here are my default device details for the curious:

Device Info
• Board ID: 6802ECB
• SW Version: 2.11.1.50.6200.7
• RF Channel: 1150
• Band: Band D Extended

Configuration
• MoCA Password: xxxxxx
• MoCA Privacy: Disable
• RF Channel: 1150
• RF Band: Band D Extended
• RF Switch: Hi
Hi,

May I know the total costs of the setup and do you have any complaints from your neighbours regarding interference of their cable signal etc? Tks.
LoneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #21

Hi,

May I know the total costs of the setup and do you have any complaints from your neighbours regarding interference of their cable signal etc? Tks.
no complaints

actually quite a few of us are using the directtv devices already and with no problems at all. and most of all, it is cheap: less than $20

at this moment i am using the directtv device to connect to my computer to write this
Old 14-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #22

I have yet to use MoCA and thus no practical experience with it. More than half a year ago I was introduced to MoCA by manyu882. After which I did some reading and understood a bit.

I try to answer some of the questions here:

Is starhub HD tv signal still good?
MoCA is design to co-exist with Cable TV and Cable Broadband. Cable TV and broadband utilized up to 890MHz, while MoCA LAN links uses above 1000MHz. There is no overlapping of frequency bands.

Nevertheless, there is possibility that non-MoCA devices (such as CATV STB in which the design might have neglect operating in a MoCA environment), can and may suffer out-of-band (OOB) interference from MoCA devices, in such case placing a MoCA POE filter in front of the STB can help block the interference.

MoCA POE filter has inserting loss of about 1.5dB, this is negligible to CATV (DVB-C digitalized signals, including HDTV) as the setup has much more build-in margin than that.

Of course there is always a finite numbers of passive splitters and filters that can be added before the CATV or cable broadband signals is reduced to below usable level.

Is POE filter must? Where can I get it locally?[/
POE filter at point-of-entry is a MUST. It serves 2 purposes:

1. Isolate the home network from causing interference to adjacent home. (Such as OOB interference as explained above)

2. Reflect the MoCA signals back to the network, this increase the signal level and quality of the MoCA signals and thus faster speed can be achieved.

(Note that standard CATV splitter required the port isolation (attenuation) between output ports to be high, while MoCA required low output port isolation. Inserting a POE filter work around this loss).

TS suggestion to disconnect the incoming main coax cable and terminate the splitter input with a 75 ohm terminator is thus not advisable, as the 75 ohm terminator will absorb rather than reflect the MoCA signals.

For more technical detail can refer to http://www.mocalliance.org/technolog...70516rev01.pdf
Old 15-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #23

Lightbulb

Well, I hope I have written the post in such a way that there is no need for many questions. To be fair, MoCA is mostly unknown in Asia - although the technology behind works well. Check out the links I posted!
candrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #24

Hi,
Depends on what MoCA devices you go with! I bought a pair of Actiontec ECB6200 which support up to 1Gb/s transfer rates via Amazon Prime Singapore during their promotion for ~180 SGD. In my internal tests I usually run around 950 Mb/s.

No complaints by neighbours. Just make sure you install a POE filter (which Starhub installed for free after 5 calls where I had to explain to them what MoCA is..)

Last edited by candrox; 15-03-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Old 15-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #25

Hi, nice to hear from u...
Juz that there were questions posted but I dont see any appropriate answer loh....

I didnt find any links you post except links to SLS & SLT leh?

1. So far any issue with your setup?
2. Do u need frequent resetting of your MoCA adapters?
3. Do u face buffering issue watching IPTV and so or whatever?
4. R u a Starhub cable TV subscriber? if yes, do u experience any interference to your starhub cable STB?

Well, I hope I have written the post in such a way that there is no need for many questions. To be fair, MoCA is mostly unknown in Asia - although the technology behind works well. Check out the links I posted!

Last edited by JustDoLor; 15-03-2018 at 01:52 PM..
Old 15-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #26

I didnt find any links you post except links to SLS & SLT leh?

1. So far any issue with your setup?
2. Do u need frequent resetting of your MoCA adapters?
3. Do u face buffering issue watching IPTV and so or whatever?
4. R u a Starhub cable TV subscriber? if yes, do u experience any interference to your starhub cable STB?
1) Nothing that I have noticed
2) Never needed a reset - my computer is running 24x7 directly connected to the MoCA device
3) I have not noticed any buffering watching Netflix or Youtube
4) Cancelled cableTV a looooong time ago, so unfortunatley can't give you feedback

Oh, correct - I wasn't allowed to post URLs due to my low post count. Just google for 'moca installation blog' and read what other people have implemented and experience with such a setup.
Old 15-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #27

Hi, may I ask can I use free to air tv antenna wall socket instead of the starhub one? Have the free to air one but don't have the starhub one

Or the free to air one is not a coaxial? Thanks in advance
wolnavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #28

Hi, may I ask can I use free to air tv antenna wall socket instead of the starhub one? Have the free to air one but don't have the starhub one
Or the free to air one is not a coaxial? Thanks in advance
If your flat has TV antenna wall outlets you should be able to use MoCA. MoCA just 'replaces' the Ethernet cables with coax cables...
Old 17-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #29

If your flat has TV antenna wall outlets you should be able to use MoCA. MoCA just 'replaces' the Ethernet cables with coax cables...
I see, but where should I install the poe filter? I don't seem to see the splitter anywhere in the house...
wolnavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #30

I am new to MoCA and have some queries.
1. Does Starhub charge for MoCA POE installation?
2. Once POE installed, so no TP installation for fibre optics needed? Viewquest or other ISP will need to connect the modem to Actiontec ECB6200 for it to work?
3. Is Actiontec ECB6200 the only model that will work in Singapore and if the other newer models like ECB6250 or ECB5240M work?
4. What is the difference between Actiontec ECB6200K02 and ECB6200S02?

Last edited by Compose; 21-03-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Compose is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.