MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

terry1

Reaction score
Hi,

May I know the total costs of the setup and do you have any complaints from your neighbours regarding interference of their cable signal etc? Tks.

no complaints

actually quite a few of us are using the directtv devices already and with no problems at all. and most of all, it is cheap: less than $20 :D

at this moment i am using the directtv device to connect to my computer to write this :D

JustDoLor

Reaction score
I have yet to use MoCA and thus no practical experience with it. More than half a year ago I was introduced to MoCA by manyu882. After which I did some reading and understood a bit.

I try to answer some of the questions here:

Is starhub HD tv signal still good?
MoCA is design to co-exist with Cable TV and Cable Broadband. Cable TV and broadband utilized up to 890MHz, while MoCA LAN links uses above 1000MHz. There is no overlapping of frequency bands.

Nevertheless, there is possibility that non-MoCA devices (such as CATV STB in which the design might have neglect operating in a MoCA environment), can and may suffer out-of-band (OOB) interference from MoCA devices, in such case placing a MoCA POE filter in front of the STB can help block the interference.

MoCA POE filter has inserting loss of about 1.5dB, this is negligible to CATV (DVB-C digitalized signals, including HDTV) as the setup has much more build-in margin than that.

Of course there is always a finite numbers of passive splitters and filters that can be added before the CATV or cable broadband signals is reduced to below usable level.

Is POE filter must? Where can I get it locally?[/

POE filter at point-of-entry is a MUST. It serves 2 purposes:

1. Isolate the home network from causing interference to adjacent home. (Such as OOB interference as explained above)

2. Reflect the MoCA signals back to the network, this increase the signal level and quality of the MoCA signals and thus faster speed can be achieved.

(Note that standard CATV splitter required the port isolation (attenuation) between output ports to be high, while MoCA required low output port isolation. Inserting a POE filter work around this loss).

TS suggestion to disconnect the incoming main coax cable and terminate the splitter input with a 75 ohm terminator is thus not advisable, as the 75 ohm terminator will absorb rather than reflect the MoCA signals.

For more technical detail can refer to http://www.mocalliance.org/technology/Final_Best-Practices-for-Installation-of-MoCA_170516rev01.pdf

candrox

Reaction score
MoCA users seem to be a rarity here.... All went MIA liao

Reading this latest feedback I think no one wanna use MoCA liao

Well, I hope I have written the post in such a way that there is no need for many questions. To be fair, MoCA is mostly unknown in Asia - although the technology behind works well. Check out the links I posted!

candrox

Reaction score
Hi,
May I know the total costs of the setup and do you have any complaints from your neighbours regarding interference of their cable signal etc? Tks.
Depends on what MoCA devices you go with! I bought a pair of Actiontec ECB6200 which support up to 1Gb/s transfer rates via Amazon Prime Singapore during their promotion for ~180 SGD. In my internal tests I usually run around 950 Mb/s.

No complaints by neighbours. Just make sure you install a POE filter (which Starhub installed for free after 5 calls where I had to explain to them what MoCA is..)

Last edited:

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Hi, nice to hear from u...
Juz that there were questions posted but I dont see any appropriate answer loh....

I didnt find any links you post except links to SLS & SLT leh?

1. So far any issue with your setup?
2. Do u need frequent resetting of your MoCA adapters?
3. Do u face buffering issue watching IPTV and so or whatever?
4. R u a Starhub cable TV subscriber? if yes, do u experience any interference to your starhub cable STB?

Well, I hope I have written the post in such a way that there is no need for many questions. To be fair, MoCA is mostly unknown in Asia - although the technology behind works well. Check out the links I posted!

Last edited:

candrox

Reaction score
I didnt find any links you post except links to SLS & SLT leh?

1. So far any issue with your setup?
2. Do u need frequent resetting of your MoCA adapters?
3. Do u face buffering issue watching IPTV and so or whatever?
4. R u a Starhub cable TV subscriber? if yes, do u experience any interference to your starhub cable STB?

1) Nothing that I have noticed
2) Never needed a reset - my computer is running 24x7 directly connected to the MoCA device
3) I have not noticed any buffering watching Netflix or Youtube
4) Cancelled cableTV a looooong time ago, so unfortunatley can't give you feedback

Oh, correct - I wasn't allowed to post URLs due to my low post count. Just google for 'moca installation blog' and read what other people have implemented and experience with such a setup.

wolnavi

Reaction score
Hi, may I ask can I use free to air tv antenna wall socket instead of the starhub one? Have the free to air one but don't have the starhub one

Or the free to air one is not a coaxial? Thanks in advance

candrox

Reaction score
Hi, may I ask can I use free to air tv antenna wall socket instead of the starhub one? Have the free to air one but don't have the starhub one
Or the free to air one is not a coaxial? Thanks in advance
If your flat has TV antenna wall outlets you should be able to use MoCA. MoCA just 'replaces' the Ethernet cables with coax cables...

wolnavi

Reaction score
If your flat has TV antenna wall outlets you should be able to use MoCA. MoCA just 'replaces' the Ethernet cables with coax cables...

I see, but where should I install the poe filter? I don't seem to see the splitter anywhere in the house...

Compose

Reaction score
I am new to MoCA and have some queries.
1. Does Starhub charge for MoCA POE installation?
2. Once POE installed, so no TP installation for fibre optics needed? Viewquest or other ISP will need to connect the modem to Actiontec ECB6200 for it to work?
3. Is Actiontec ECB6200 the only model that will work in Singapore and if the other newer models like ECB6250 or ECB5240M work?
4. What is the difference between Actiontec ECB6200K02 and ECB6200S02?

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
##################################################################
#### POE FILTER ######################################################
##################################################################

In order for MoCA to work, a 'Point Of Entry Filter' needs to be installed into the main coax cable before it branches off into different coax outlets of your flat. The cable connection can be found at an entry point into your premises such as a riser cabinet or a cable distribution box within your home.

The filter simply blocks MoCA frequencies going back into your cable providers network (or your neighbours network) and potentially interfering with the network or system elements.

Alternatively, the incoming main coax cable can also be disconnected from your home network if no service is used by the cable provider (just ensure to add a 75 Ohm terminator cap to your coax splitter).

Either ways - one solution is mandatory! For me, Starhub installed the POE filter in the riser cabinet free of cost - the filter used is a 'Soontai LPF-1002M3'.

[/FONT]

Thanks for sharing this! your post had helped me understand MoCA network, as i stay in a rented unit. Unable to do renovations and wifi may at times be weak/inconsistent, leaving me with the option of fugly LAN cables or this MoCA network.

Anyway, I am thinking since i am not using the coaxial cables at all, might as well just disconnect it.
> Can I seek advice if i disconnect the coaxial POE, will MoCA network still works?
> Are terminator cap really required? moreover, my unit has a number of coaxial ports, are the caps required to close all unused ports?

Wishful thinking it would be great if i could borrow some adapters to test before buying.

Thanks again!

alvinym

Reaction score
2. Once POE installed, so no TP installation for fibre optics needed? Viewquest or other ISP will need to connect the modem to Actiontec ECB6200 for it to work?
3. Is Actiontec ECB6200 the only model that will work in Singapore and if the other newer models like ECB6250 or ECB5240M work?

Think you may need understand more on how MoCA network works, but let me try to help though i am not using (yet).

1. No clue, TS did mentioned starhub did for him FOC and this lies with Starhub which you need to speak with them to confirm

2. POE filter as its full name is "Point of Entry".. explained in multiple posts and it is not a TP point for fiber. You will still require a TP and ONT for fiber broadband. The most layman setup would be "TP > ONT > Router > MoCA adapter > coaxial port"

3. Any MoCA 2.0 adapter would work, make sure to read the description/specs to ensure it is the latest which support gigabit transfer. Sidenote, ECB6250 is only released for enterprises/ISP, you wouldnt be able to find in the consumer market.

4. Simple glance on amazon shows it is the same, just a single "S" or two/twin "K" pack.

Compose

Reaction score
Think you may need understand more on how MoCA network works, but let me try to help though i am not using (yet).

1. No clue, TS did mentioned starhub did for him FOC and this lies with Starhub which you need to speak with them to confirm

2. POE filter as its full name is "Point of Entry".. explained in multiple posts and it is not a TP point for fiber. You will still require a TP and ONT for fiber broadband. The most layman setup would be "TP > ONT > Router > MoCA adapter > coaxial port"

3. Any MoCA 2.0 adapter would work, make sure to read the description/specs to ensure it is the latest which support gigabit transfer. Sidenote, ECB6250 is only released for enterprises/ISP, you wouldnt be able to find in the consumer market.

4. Simple glance on amazon shows it is the same, just a single "S" or two/twin "K" pack.

Thanks for your reply. I have called Starhub and am not successful in getting them to install the POE filter at the common corridor riser. My problem is the cabling part for Open Net to come into my home and as such, I don't have a TP and ONT yet. Does not mean the MoCA option will not work for me then? Sorry for the stupid questions.

alvinym

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have called Starhub and am not successful in getting them to install the POE filter at the common corridor riser. My problem is the cabling part for Open Net to come into my home and as such, I don't have a TP and ONT yet. Does not mean the MoCA option will not work for me then? Sorry for the stupid questions.

No problem, just trying my best to help around.
In my previous rented home, I had to apply for TP installation myself and owner doesnt allow any drilling. Fortunately, the 30+ yrs old unit had all its cabling pulled from corridor through the main entry window. The opennet guy opened the trunking and used existing hole to install the fiber cables and installed the ONT by the window. Maybe you could do the same?

Without fiber and ONT, or rather an existing internet connection, MoCA network would not work.. you may want to try cable broadband instead of fiber. Do note that MoCA network is not a fiber/internet replacement but rather an option to extend your existing internet network reach.

elimmel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I was using moca 1.0, I just plugged into the scv point with a splitter for my tv.
Got both from amazon
Plug and play.
Don’t remember putting in a poe filter.

lionelfoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
anyone know whats the price of MOCA? and where can i get it from?

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone know whats the price of MOCA? and where can i get it from?

u can get them cheaply from Alibaba , esp those can MOQ 1 pcs. I did for 2 pcs and the cost (including shipping) is around S$95 (per 2 pcs).

Right now in alibaba there are 2 brands, Zisa and Yitong. I tried both brands

Yitong 2.0 non-bonded - able to change to EU plug if you request. comes with full set of equipment (i.e. CaT V Cable, etc.). Out of 2 pcs, in less than 6 months i did a RMA. But the sales person was helpful hence not an issue. Product wise, I could say that they deliver its speed.

Zisa 2.0 bonded - Their standard set not come with EU plug and CAT V cable, but I think they are able to include it if you meet a certain MOQ. I on it 24/7 so far not much of a problem. However, their utility is very laggy and one of the got bricked to a certain extend due to some firmware error. Their engineer said can't do anything about it when I feedback this to them. It is interesting that the chip they are using is the same as Actiontec ECB6200. Hence I downloaded the firmware (from somewhere- reddit?) and flash it over, which solves the utility lag & firmware issue.

If you want to get the above locally, yes you can. One person is selling it online but with that price, I would rather get ECB6200 from amazon.

Last edited:

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
When I was using moca 1.0, I just plugged into the scv point with a splitter for my tv.
Got both from amazon
Plug and play.
Don’t remember putting in a poe filter.

I'm suspecting that the splitter installed in each HDB flat is integrated with pass filter.

Last edited:

candrox

Reaction score
Is POE filter must? Where can I get it locally?
Just to clarify... I was a Starhub cable broadband user and in the process of switching to fibre internet. It took me some time to convince Starhub especially as nobody seemed to have heard about MoCA before (and why a filter was needed). Heck, I even drew them a diagram when the technician was on-site!

Nowadays I simply would buy a Soontai LPF-1002M3 filter and install it by myself. Remember, it just needs to anywhere where the main coax cable comes into your place. This could be in the riser cabinet or just before your first coax splitter.

With regards to 'must'... without a POE filter MoCA sends your internet data back out of your place into the public coax cable network which includes your cable provider, your neighbours, and maybe some other things on the network. If that interferes with any equipment... your provider might investigate, find out that you are the source, and possibly fine you. Please just get a filter.

You can google 'Soontai LPF-1002M3' to find the Soontai webpage and inquire if they ship to Singapore or even have a local distributor (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links here yet).

1) They didn't charge for me because at this point I was an existing customer
2) You can connect the MoCA device by yourself. It's plug&play.
3) It should - there are many models and manufacturers but I don't have any experience otherwise.
4) Thanks @alvinym

alvinym

Reaction score
Just to clarify... I was a Starhub cable broadband user and in the process of switching to fibre internet. It took me some time to convince Starhub especially as nobody seemed to have heard about MoCA before (and why a filter was needed). Heck, I even drew them a diagram when the technician was on-site!

Nowadays I simply would buy a Soontai LPF-1002M3 filter and install it by myself. Remember, it just needs to anywhere where the main coax cable comes into your place. This could be in the riser cabinet or just before your first coax splitter.

With regards to 'must'... without a POE filter MoCA sends your internet data back out of your place into the public coax cable network which includes your cable provider, your neighbours, and maybe some other things on the network. If that interferes with any equipment... your provider might investigate, find out that you are the source, and possibly fine you. Please just get a filter.

You can google 'Soontai LPF-1002M3' to find the Soontai webpage and inquire if they ship to Singapore or even have a local distributor (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links here yet).

My current headache is where to install the POE filder... sadly for my case, i found the svc box at the corridor riser box but then its locked. Not sure how to get it open (starhub or sp services? any suggestions? definitely not a locksmith, lol).
Worst off, i cant find the indoor cable box thus could not locate the first splitter. Suspected landlord had placed the box somewhere within the false ceiling :( .... every coax ports inside the unit have a "NEE CS-2002A Isolator with TV/FM splitter (5-1000MHz).

Pls do PM me any links if you have any seller for the POE & MoCA splitters... thanks alot, your story had helped alot.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.