MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
Confirm is 5-1000Mhz? If yes then signal above 1000mhz will not pass though the "IN" port. Safe to use MoCa.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/103756530-post112.html

It certainly is 5-1000MHz, but this is at one of the outlet. Will it still work?

1F_3MBPWV_YSeSUuyEMJuYnsFdMYlQDSh

coaxialpoint.jpg

thanks for the post, i will read it soon!

Last edited:

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
It certainly is 5-1000MHz, but this is at one of the outlet. Will it still work?

1F_3MBPWV_YSeSUuyEMJuYnsFdMYlQDSh

_5_2VlyP6ul0iYEic0Cm8LbV074uuMcgDUx4pvg6Sg_6uQuKcQ-UwopqFxb9XPxBlKZDry-3oY5yog=w1226-h791

thanks for the post, i will read it soon!

Pls show a photo of it. If all the OUT ports are at the same room means MoCa signal not able to pass to other room. if the OUT ports are in different rooms, then MoCa signal able to pass

Last edited:

terry1

Reaction score
anyone know whats the price of MOCA? and where can i get it from?

for your information, this works the same and it is very much cheaper, only us$10 without shipping :D

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Broadband-Ethernet-Adapter-Generation/dp/B00DVK1ITI

DCAPR0-01_zoom.jpg

because the infrastructure is already set up and it is not utilised: most of us are either watching local channels through the miotv/starhub/m1 set-top boxes or receiving the channels through the free-to-air antennae so you may use these sockets on the wall faceplates to transmit data instead. and the devices to do so are relatively cheap, less than us$20 :D

more information here http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/106346031-post128.html

s-l300.png

DCAPR0-01_zoom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alvinym

Reaction score
Pls show a photo of it. If all the OUT ports are at the same room means MoCa signal not able to pass to other room. if the OUT ports are in different rooms, then MoCa signal able to pass
update the img links, hopefully its working now. I found 3 wall ports within my unit and all the same 1 cable in with the same splitter... still cant find the main splitter, either hidden inside false ceiling or inside the lock SCV box outside at electrical riser.

CQ8xFfJ.jpg

ps: anyone know who should i contact to open the SCV box?

Last edited:

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
IC.. I don't think can install moca directly to any of the port at the splitter As frequency outside 5~1000mhz is already blocked at the "IN" port. Deca adapter should work as they operate in between that frequency. And if u want deca, u Have to disconnect CATV cable that is connected to the "IN" port of your flat's main splitter

or install a band Filter (which operates out from deca frequency) at your flat's main splitter.

Another way is to replace the splitter ( shown in the pic)with MoCa. Then connect a cable from the "OUT"
port of the moca back to the splitter. And if u can confirm that the main splitter for your flat unit has a filter to block off moca signal going back to the grid, you are good to go.

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
IC.. I don't think can install moca directly to any of the port at the splitter As frequency outside 5~1000mhz is already blocked at the "IN" port. Deca adapter should work as they operate in between that frequency. And if u want deca, u Have to disconnect CATV cable that is connected to the "IN" port of your flat's main splitter

or install a band Filter (which operates out from deca frequency) at your flat's main splitter.

Another way is to replace the splitter ( shown in the pic)with MoCa. Then connect a cable from the "OUT"
port of the moca back to the splitter. And if u can confirm that the main splitter for your flat unit has a filter to block off moca signal going back to the grid, you are good to go.

i see i see, had the same thought too which you had helped confirming it.
Those wall ports splitter i don't mind changing myself but then..... I cant locate the main splitter :s22:. Therefore, the theory where if the main splitter operate between 5-1000mhz, it would mean MoCA frequency would not pass the main splitter thus connection is not establish to other rooms (coaxial ports). The most headache issue is where the F is the main splitter? scv box is locked and i dunno who has the keys to it........

What is highest deca's bandwidth .. .googled and nah, I will pass...

alvinym

Reaction score
Through assumption and a replace of existing splitters at the living, master and common room, will MoCA work?

KaI9KZs.png

to add: I dont even have a tv at home hence no cabletv, etc. Those scv/coaxial cables are there collecting dusts/rot.

Last edited:

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those wall ports splitter i don't mind changing myself but then..... I cant locate the main splitter :s22:. Therefore, the theory where if the main splitter operate between 5-1000mhz, it would mean MoCA frequency would not pass the main splitter thus connection is not establish to other rooms (coaxial ports). The most headache issue is where the F is the main splitter? scv box is locked and i dunno who has the keys to it........

Scv box is locked means starhub has the keys to it. Same as my flat.

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
Through assumption and a replace of existing splitters at the living, master and common room, will MoCA work?

KaI9KZs.png

to add: I dont even have a tv at home hence no cabletv, etc. Those scv/coaxial cables are there collecting dusts/rot.

Can work. Same as my confi

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score

Moca signal can pass through between "OUT" ports . Except those with isolators, which needs to be identified what frequency it can pass though..

If u know someone who has moca to spare, u can borrow theirs and try to establish connection between your house and Neighbours' .

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
Scv box is locked means starhub has the keys to it. Same as my flat.
Yeah, called HDB got routed to TC then lastly to Starhub. The starhub hotline guy said he will need to arrange for a "callback" by other team as he do not have the details, though he did confirm scv box is under starhub and main splitter is inside.

Can work. Same as my confi
oh good to hear!

Moca signal can pass through between "OUT" ports . Except those with isolators, which needs to be identified what frequency it can pass though..

If u know someone who has moca to spare, u can borrow theirs and try to establish connection between your house and Neighbours' .
Sadly, no one i know personally has MoCA setup. I only read on this on some other forums and did a google search which directed me to this thread. It is great seeking info and help from you all :)

alvinym

Reaction score

OMG! thanks @candrox for sharing the pics! it helped alot especially when my intended setup is just like yours - where i only need connection to one of the common room. :s12:
After some reading i realise i do not even need to change the room splitters unless necessary. So now i am only missing the POE filter part, yet to verify.......

ps: under Coax Splitter section, the 2nd and 3rd URL are not working

candrox

Reaction score
quick check, did you change this main splitter? I am still waiting for starhub's callback.. seems like team is ignoring me
No, my Coax splitter is fairly new - I just opened it and checked that it had an integrated circuit (and not ferite cores).
Starhub - try to speak with a team-leader or manager to escalate the issue.

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, it did help alot! especially i am planning a very similar setup.

quick check, did you change this main splitter? I am still waiting for starhub's callback.. seems like team is ignoring me

You ask them to come down they will charge you one. Be warned.

BTW, just for curiosity sake, if we install poe filter at each and every point of the moca setup, will it have the same effect as installing a moca filter at the main splitter?
Asking since there is the possibility of us not being able to access the main incoming splitter without starhub cooperation.

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
No, my Coax splitter is fairly new - I just opened it and checked that it had an integrated circuit (and not ferite cores).
Starhub - try to speak with a team-leader or manager to escalate the issue.
They actually called back, though ding dong through various team. End up they told me the POE & main splitter is inside my rented unit and they will not do anything, especially to the riser.
This is the worst scenario for me as i could not find the main splitter, probably hidden somewhere in the false ceiling and my landlord do not even have a clue.

You ask them to come down they will charge you one. Be warned.

BTW, just for curiosity sake, if we install poe filter at each and every point of the moca setup, will it have the same effect as installing a moca filter at the main splitter?
Asking since there is the possibility of us not being able to access the main incoming splitter without starhub cooperation.
I dont mind paying, I even told them i will supply the POE filter if they do not have it but they say they will not do anything to the riser.

*edit* Sry, i mis-read the last part of your post, please ignore below.... (seems like my case, cant find the main splitter)
I believe as long as the POE filter is installed before the main splitter then it will work. You can refer to this blog provided by @candrox - http://www.drmoron.org/tv-moca/
cable-box-new.jpg

Last edited:

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They actually called back, though ding dong through various team. End up they told me the POE & main splitter is inside my rented unit and they will not do anything, especially to the riser.
This is the worst scenario for me as i could not find the main splitter, probably hidden somewhere in the false ceiling and my landlord do not even have a clue.

I dont mind paying, I even told them i will supply the POE filter if they do not have it but they say they will not do anything to the riser.

*edit* Sry, i mis-read the last part of your post, please ignore below.... (seems like my case, cant find the main splitter)
I believe as long as the POE filter is installed before the main splitter then it will work. You can refer to this blog provided by @candrox - http://www.drmoron.org/tv-moca/
cable-box-new.jpg

Not sure about your case. For my house the main splitter is definitely inside the locked box as I got a good look years ago when I subscribed and then unsubscribe to starhub TV.

The reason why they locked the box is that there is 2 main splitter inside. One from the rooftop master antenna and the other is the splitter from Starhub TV. If you subscribe to starhub TV, they will just plug your house main splitter to their starhub TV splitter and you will be able to watch their programmes, losing access to free to air TV signals from the master antenna in the process.

I think you should call town council or HDB to verify whether your main splitter is inside that box or not.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.