Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

MoCA Network Setup

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #31

##################################################################
#### POE FILTER ######################################################
##################################################################

In order for MoCA to work, a 'Point Of Entry Filter' needs to be installed into the main coax cable before it branches off into different coax outlets of your flat. The cable connection can be found at an entry point into your premises such as a riser cabinet or a cable distribution box within your home.

The filter simply blocks MoCA frequencies going back into your cable providers network (or your neighbours network) and potentially interfering with the network or system elements.

Alternatively, the incoming main coax cable can also be disconnected from your home network if no service is used by the cable provider (just ensure to add a 75 Ohm terminator cap to your coax splitter).

Either ways - one solution is mandatory! For me, Starhub installed the POE filter in the riser cabinet free of cost - the filter used is a 'Soontai LPF-1002M3'.

[/FONT]
Thanks for sharing this! your post had helped me understand MoCA network, as i stay in a rented unit. Unable to do renovations and wifi may at times be weak/inconsistent, leaving me with the option of fugly LAN cables or this MoCA network.

Anyway, I am thinking since i am not using the coaxial cables at all, might as well just disconnect it.
> Can I seek advice if i disconnect the coaxial POE, will MoCA network still works?
> Are terminator cap really required? moreover, my unit has a number of coaxial ports, are the caps required to close all unused ports?

Wishful thinking it would be great if i could borrow some adapters to test before buying.

Thanks again!
alvinym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #32

I am new to MoCA and have some queries.
1. Does Starhub charge for MoCA POE installation?
2. Once POE installed, so no TP installation for fibre optics needed? Viewquest or other ISP will need to connect the modem to Actiontec ECB6200 for it to work?
3. Is Actiontec ECB6200 the only model that will work in Singapore and if the other newer models like ECB6250 or ECB5240M work?
4. What is the difference between Actiontec ECB6200K02 and ECB6200S02?
Think you may need understand more on how MoCA network works, but let me try to help though i am not using (yet).

1. No clue, TS did mentioned starhub did for him FOC and this lies with Starhub which you need to speak with them to confirm

2. POE filter as its full name is "Point of Entry".. explained in multiple posts and it is not a TP point for fiber. You will still require a TP and ONT for fiber broadband. The most layman setup would be "TP > ONT > Router > MoCA adapter > coaxial port"

3. Any MoCA 2.0 adapter would work, make sure to read the description/specs to ensure it is the latest which support gigabit transfer. Sidenote, ECB6250 is only released for enterprises/ISP, you wouldnt be able to find in the consumer market.

4. Simple glance on amazon shows it is the same, just a single "S" or two/twin "K" pack.
Old 23-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #33

Think you may need understand more on how MoCA network works, but let me try to help though i am not using (yet).

1. No clue, TS did mentioned starhub did for him FOC and this lies with Starhub which you need to speak with them to confirm

2. POE filter as its full name is "Point of Entry".. explained in multiple posts and it is not a TP point for fiber. You will still require a TP and ONT for fiber broadband. The most layman setup would be "TP > ONT > Router > MoCA adapter > coaxial port"

3. Any MoCA 2.0 adapter would work, make sure to read the description/specs to ensure it is the latest which support gigabit transfer. Sidenote, ECB6250 is only released for enterprises/ISP, you wouldnt be able to find in the consumer market.

4. Simple glance on amazon shows it is the same, just a single "S" or two/twin "K" pack.
Thanks for your reply. I have called Starhub and am not successful in getting them to install the POE filter at the common corridor riser. My problem is the cabling part for Open Net to come into my home and as such, I don't have a TP and ONT yet. Does not mean the MoCA option will not work for me then? Sorry for the stupid questions.
Compose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #34

Thanks for your reply. I have called Starhub and am not successful in getting them to install the POE filter at the common corridor riser. My problem is the cabling part for Open Net to come into my home and as such, I don't have a TP and ONT yet. Does not mean the MoCA option will not work for me then? Sorry for the stupid questions.
No problem, just trying my best to help around.
In my previous rented home, I had to apply for TP installation myself and owner doesnt allow any drilling. Fortunately, the 30+ yrs old unit had all its cabling pulled from corridor through the main entry window. The opennet guy opened the trunking and used existing hole to install the fiber cables and installed the ONT by the window. Maybe you could do the same?

Without fiber and ONT, or rather an existing internet connection, MoCA network would not work.. you may want to try cable broadband instead of fiber. Do note that MoCA network is not a fiber/internet replacement but rather an option to extend your existing internet network reach.
candrox likes this.
Old 23-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #35

When I was using moca 1.0, I just plugged into the scv point with a splitter for my tv.
Got both from amazon
Plug and play.
Don’t remember putting in a poe filter.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 03:06 AM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

anyone know whats the price of MOCA? and where can i get it from?
lionelfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #37
Master Member

u can get them cheaply from Alibaba , esp those can MOQ 1 pcs. I did for 2 pcs and the cost (including shipping) is around S$95 (per 2 pcs).

Right now in alibaba there are 2 brands, Zisa and Yitong. I tried both brands

Yitong 2.0 non-bonded - able to change to EU plug if you request. comes with full set of equipment (i.e. CaT V Cable, etc.). Out of 2 pcs, in less than 6 months i did a RMA. But the sales person was helpful hence not an issue. Product wise, I could say that they deliver its speed.

Zisa 2.0 bonded - Their standard set not come with EU plug and CAT V cable, but I think they are able to include it if you meet a certain MOQ. I on it 24/7 so far not much of a problem. However, their utility is very laggy and one of the got bricked to a certain extend due to some firmware error. Their engineer said can't do anything about it when I feedback this to them. It is interesting that the chip they are using is the same as Actiontec ECB6200. Hence I downloaded the firmware (from somewhere- reddit?) and flash it over, which solves the utility lag & firmware issue.

If you want to get the above locally, yes you can. One person is selling it online but with that price, I would rather get ECB6200 from amazon.

Last edited by manyu882; 24-03-2018 at 09:19 PM..
manyu882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #38
Master Member

When I was using moca 1.0, I just plugged into the scv point with a splitter for my tv.
Got both from amazon
Plug and play.
Donít remember putting in a poe filter.

I'm suspecting that the splitter installed in each HDB flat is integrated with pass filter.

Last edited by manyu882; 24-03-2018 at 09:04 PM..
Old 25-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #39

Exclamation

Is POE filter must? Where can I get it locally?
Just to clarify... I was a Starhub cable broadband user and in the process of switching to fibre internet. It took me some time to convince Starhub especially as nobody seemed to have heard about MoCA before (and why a filter was needed). Heck, I even drew them a diagram when the technician was on-site!

Nowadays I simply would buy a Soontai LPF-1002M3 filter and install it by myself. Remember, it just needs to anywhere where the main coax cable comes into your place. This could be in the riser cabinet or just before your first coax splitter.

With regards to 'must'... without a POE filter MoCA sends your internet data back out of your place into the public coax cable network which includes your cable provider, your neighbours, and maybe some other things on the network. If that interferes with any equipment... your provider might investigate, find out that you are the source, and possibly fine you. Please just get a filter.

You can google 'Soontai LPF-1002M3' to find the Soontai webpage and inquire if they ship to Singapore or even have a local distributor (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links here yet).

I am new to MoCA and have some queries.
1. Does Starhub charge for MoCA POE installation?
2. Once POE installed, so no TP installation for fibre optics needed? Viewquest or other ISP will need to connect the modem to Actiontec ECB6200 for it to work?
3. Is Actiontec ECB6200 the only model that will work in Singapore and if the other newer models like ECB6250 or ECB5240M work?
4. What is the difference between Actiontec ECB6200K02 and ECB6200S02?
1) They didn't charge for me because at this point I was an existing customer
2) You can connect the MoCA device by yourself. It's plug&play.
3) It should - there are many models and manufacturers but I don't have any experience otherwise.
4) Thanks @alvinym
Compose likes this.
candrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #40

Just to clarify... I was a Starhub cable broadband user and in the process of switching to fibre internet. It took me some time to convince Starhub especially as nobody seemed to have heard about MoCA before (and why a filter was needed). Heck, I even drew them a diagram when the technician was on-site!

Nowadays I simply would buy a Soontai LPF-1002M3 filter and install it by myself. Remember, it just needs to anywhere where the main coax cable comes into your place. This could be in the riser cabinet or just before your first coax splitter.

With regards to 'must'... without a POE filter MoCA sends your internet data back out of your place into the public coax cable network which includes your cable provider, your neighbours, and maybe some other things on the network. If that interferes with any equipment... your provider might investigate, find out that you are the source, and possibly fine you. Please just get a filter.

You can google 'Soontai LPF-1002M3' to find the Soontai webpage and inquire if they ship to Singapore or even have a local distributor (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links here yet).
My current headache is where to install the POE filder... sadly for my case, i found the svc box at the corridor riser box but then its locked. Not sure how to get it open (starhub or sp services? any suggestions? definitely not a locksmith, lol).
Worst off, i cant find the indoor cable box thus could not locate the first splitter. Suspected landlord had placed the box somewhere within the false ceiling .... every coax ports inside the unit have a "NEE CS-2002A Isolator with TV/FM splitter (5-1000MHz).

Pls do PM me any links if you have any seller for the POE & MoCA splitters... thanks alot, your story had helped alot.
Old 26-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #41
Master Member

Suspected landlord had placed the box somewhere within the false ceiling .... every coax ports inside the unit have a "NEE CS-2002A Isolator with TV/FM splitter (5-1000MHz).
Confirm is 5-1000Mhz? If yes then signal above 1000mhz will not pass though the "IN" port. Safe to use MoCa.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/1...0-post112.html

Last edited by manyu882; 26-03-2018 at 04:08 PM..
Old 26-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #42

Confirm is 5-1000Mhz? If yes then signal above 1000mhz will not pass though the "IN" port. Safe to use MoCa.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/1...0-post112.html
It certainly is 5-1000MHz, but this is at one of the outlet. Will it still work?

Spoiler!

thanks for the post, i will read it soon!

Last edited by alvinym; 28-03-2018 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: pic not loading
Old 26-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #43
Master Member

It certainly is 5-1000MHz, but this is at one of the outlet. Will it still work?

Spoiler!

thanks for the post, i will read it soon!

Pls show a photo of it. If all the OUT ports are at the same room means MoCa signal not able to pass to other room. if the OUT ports are in different rooms, then MoCa signal able to pass

Last edited by manyu882; 26-03-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Old 27-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #44

for your information, this works the same and it is very much cheaper, only us$10 without shipping

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Broad.../dp/B00DVK1ITI

because the infrastructure is already set up and it is not utilised: most of us are either watching local channels through the miotv/starhub/m1 set-top boxes or receiving the channels through the free-to-air antennae so you may use these sockets on the wall faceplates to transmit data instead. and the devices to do so are relatively cheap, less than us$20

more information here http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/10...1-post128.html

Compose likes this.

Last edited by ykeen; 07-04-2018 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: referral link omitted
terry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #45

Pls show a photo of it. If all the OUT ports are at the same room means MoCa signal not able to pass to other room. if the OUT ports are in different rooms, then MoCa signal able to pass
update the img links, hopefully its working now. I found 3 wall ports within my unit and all the same 1 cable in with the same splitter... still cant find the main splitter, either hidden inside false ceiling or inside the lock SCV box outside at electrical riser.

Spoiler!

ps: anyone know who should i contact to open the SCV box?

Last edited by alvinym; 28-03-2018 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: updated img link again
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.