MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

jowy_ham

Reaction score
Bro alvinym, can take pic of the Starhub POE at the riser (which U asked them to come down and open up) ? cos I'm in the same predicament, can't find the inside-house POE

alvinym

Reaction score
Bro alvinym, can take pic of the Starhub POE at the riser (which U asked them to come down and open up) ? cos I'm in the same predicament, can't find the inside-house POE

I didnt manage to take a pic when the technician installed as I was inside the unit verifying the tv to ensure the correct cable. Though it is similar to candrox's pic (just newer and bigger splitter).

Though my scv box looks like below:
PefzOnP.jpg

Last edited:

wporchard

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm really intrigued by the whole MoCA networking as an alternative to trunking.

Recently, I just bought a 8 year old resale flat. While still new, it does not have Cat6 wired in. I am looking at MoCA as an alternative. I found the splitter within my unit.

I have some questions that I need help with.
- Am I right to say that I should be attaching the POE filter onto the "In" port on the splitter?
- If I am not going to watch cable, would it be the same if I just un-screwed the coaxial from the "In" port? That way I would not have to worry about attaching the POE filter.

Sorry for being a noob at this. Still trying my best to learn from all the info here!

alvinym

Reaction score
I have some questions that I need help with.
- Am I right to say that I should be attaching the POE filter onto the "In" port on the splitter?
- If I am not going to watch cable, would it be the same if I just un-screwed the coaxial from the "In" port? That way I would not have to worry about attaching the POE filter.

Sorry for being a noob at this. Still trying my best to learn from all the info here!

Hey, no worries on being a noob, we all learn together :)
- Yes, that's correct. Do refer to the blog link (found on TS first post as well) and pic in my earlier post.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/113625359-post59.html

- Hmmm, good question. Now i am curious to find out too.
I might be wrong, but the cheapest option I could think of, for the IN port, replace the main input cable with the cable where MoCA input will be attached to (I mean the moca adapter which will be connected to the router).
Alternatively, downsizing the splitter or terminating the unused port with a specific terminator cap may help to recover some signal lost.
Update: A quick read mentioned that terminator cap would minimise ghosting but not the signal lost, as the signal had gone through the splitter.

Come to think of it, I could replace my unit's second splitter with a connector but since i am not experiencing any major dropouts, i shall leave it untouched. lol

Last edited:

jowy_ham

Reaction score
I didnt manage to take a pic when the technician installed as I was inside the unit verifying the tv to ensure the correct cable. Though it is similar to candrox's pic (just newer and bigger splitter).

Though my scv box looks like below:
PefzOnP.jpg

Thanks bro

wporchard

Reaction score
Hey, no worries on being a noob, we all learn together :)
- Yes, that's correct. Do refer to the blog link (found on TS first post as well) and pic in my earlier post.

- Hmmm, good question. Now i am curious to find out too.
I might be wrong, but the cheapest option I could think of, for the IN port, replace the main input cable with the cable where MoCA input will be attached to (I mean the moca adapter which will be connected to the router).
Alternatively, downsizing the splitter or terminating the unused port with a specific terminator cap may help to recover some signal lost.
Update: A quick read mentioned that terminator cap would minimise ghosting but not the signal lost, as the signal had gone through the splitter.

Come to think of it, I could replace my unit's second splitter with a connector but since i am not experiencing any major dropouts, i shall leave it untouched. lol

Wow thanks for the quick reply! Yup, seems like the terminator cap is pretty important. I will do my testing on my side. I'm pretty certain I don't want cable TV, so removing the coaxial from the "In" point makes sense to me. Keep the signal contained within my house.

alvinym

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the quick reply! Yup, seems like the terminator cap is pretty important. I will do my testing on my side. I'm pretty certain I don't want cable TV, so removing the coaxial from the "In" point makes sense to me. Keep the signal contained within my house.

Yeah, containing the signal would be great, it increases the security of your moca network.

Terminator cap just reduces ghosting or in simple terms closing a door that leads to nowhere. The signal is still gone as it has been sliced by the splitter.
Best to downsize the splitter, though if you are keen of getting MOCA setup, best to test out with the adapters first. Only spend more when the connection is not stable, internet speed is nothing if the connection is not stable.

alvinym

Reaction score
Possible to buy the POE filter in SG (locally) ?

Have not tried personally but I think yes, it should be available in local stores. Though it may be called another name - low pass/band filter, etc.

Can try at SLT (or SLS) and explain to the shop owner that you need to filter high range (>1000mhz) transmission from going out your home unit. I actually saw a filter at my neighborhood electrical shop, but shop owner had no clue what i am talking about so i didnt take the chance.

jazz2005

Master Member
Reaction score
I have discontinued my starhub cable tv for a long time do I still need to install a POE filter? Thanks

candrox

Reaction score
I have discontinued my starhub cable tv for a long time do I still need to install a POE filter? Thanks
If your coax cable is physically connected to the Starhub network then -> YES!

Remember, the MoCA protocol sends the signal into your whole coax network, which means if you are connected to the main coax cable from Starhub in the riser cabinet, it also sends the signal there (and then may interfere with your neighbours network or with the Starhub network).

Now, if you don't have service over that cable coming from the Starhub network you simply can disconnect the coax cable between your home and the riser cabinet. This usually can be done at the coax splitter but you then should get a termination cap.

Have a read through the discussion here - there's already plenty of good information!

banana55

Reaction score
Would MoCA setup work for transmitting Starhub's Fibre IPTV signals across coax?

Starhub is phasing out Coax Cable TV and moving towards Fibre IPTV, that leaves my coax structure redundant and ethernet ports in shortage. Apparently the TV and Internet signals are transmuted from separate ports of the fibre modem, so I was hoping that I can use MoCA to route IPTV signals across existing coax.

Any insights much appreciated!

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
Would MoCA setup work for transmitting Starhub's Fibre IPTV signals across coax?

Starhub is phasing out Coax Cable TV and moving towards Fibre IPTV, that leaves my coax structure redundant and ethernet ports in shortage. Apparently the TV and Internet signals are transmuted from separate ports of the fibre modem, so I was hoping that I can use MoCA to route IPTV signals across.

Any insights much appreciated!

In theory, it should be possible as long as IPTV box has a LAN port.
However, as i do not and have not seen any iptv box before, I cant really give a definitive answer.

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Its just a medium for wired connection.

Sent from Samsung GT-N5120 using GAGT

jowy_ham

Reaction score
Bite the bullet and bought 1 set of Actiontec MoCA ECB6200 from Amazon PrimeSG

Setup and tested, max speed only abt 375~420Mbps.

Thought is my home cabling that is causing the issue. Disconnect everything and troubleshoot:

PC => CAT6 ethernet cable => ECB6200 => provided coaxial cable => ECB6200 => CAT6 ethernet cable => laptop (speed obtained is usually 375~420 Mbps)

PC ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> ethernet cable joint ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> laptop (speed obtained is around 900 Mbps)

PC ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> laptop (speed obtained is around 900 Mbps)

I've also tried replacing the "provided coaxial cable" but it doesn't help.

With the above tests conducted, I believed that I have eliminate PC, laptops and ethernet cables as factors that influence the test results. Therefore what is left unchanged are only the ECB6200 units and power adapters.

I've also went into the unit's configuration page as per 1st post (192.168.144.30) and saw that the firmware is quite up-to-date (version 11.1.50.6200.7) therefore I'm really running out of ideas on how to solve this issue besides returning them/RMA-ing.

Anyone has any bright ideas ? OR I super-duper unlucky, just received a lemon set ?

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
Bite the bullet and bought 1 set of Actiontec MoCA ECB6200 from Amazon PrimeSG

Setup and tested, max speed only abt 375~420Mbps.

Thought is my home cabling that is causing the issue. Disconnect everything and troubleshoot:

PC => CAT6 ethernet cable => ECB6200 => provided coaxial cable => ECB6200 => CAT6 ethernet cable => laptop (speed obtained is usually 375~420 Mbps)

PC ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> ethernet cable joint ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> laptop (speed obtained is around 900 Mbps)

PC ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> laptop (speed obtained is around 900 Mbps)

I've also tried replacing the "provided coaxial cable" but it doesn't help.

With the above tests conducted, I believed that I have eliminate PC, laptops and ethernet cables as factors that influence the test results. Therefore what is left unchanged are only the ECB6200 units and power adapters.

I've also went into the unit's configuration page as per 1st post (192.168.144.30) and saw that the firmware is quite up-to-date (version 11.1.50.6200.7) therefore I'm really running out of ideas on how to solve this issue besides returning them/RMA-ing.

Anyone has any bright ideas ? OR I super-duper unlucky, just received a lemon set ?

What is the attenuation or signal strength?
What is the frequency set?

Last edited:

jowy_ham

Reaction score
What is the attenuation or signal strength?
What is the frequency set?

RF Channel : 1150
Band : Band D Extended

Are these the info. U are looking for ? If not, please kindly point me to where to get those info., Thanks alot.

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
RF Channel : 1150
Band : Band D Extended

Are these the info. U are looking for ? If not, please kindly point me to where to get those info., Thanks alot.

Channel and band - ok

There is this graph of connectivity health between the 2 MoCa adapters. Able to screenshot? - can be found at the web utility

If that's' ok, means that either the firmware or lemon set.

Firmware - I have encountered one that doesn't enter bonded speed. What I did was look for another version of firmware, which I couldn't remember where it was but I think it's either SnB forum or Reddit.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.