MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

jazz2005

Master Member
Reaction score
If your coax cable is physically connected to the Starhub network then -> YES!

Remember, the MoCA protocol sends the signal into your whole coax network, which means if you are connected to the main coax cable from Starhub in the riser cabinet, it also sends the signal there (and then may interfere with your neighbours network or with the Starhub network).

Now, if you don't have service over that cable coming from the Starhub network you simply can disconnect the coax cable between your home and the riser cabinet. This usually can be done at the coax splitter but you then should get a termination cap.

Have a read through the discussion here - there's already plenty of good information!

Thanks for the detail explanation.

dmho

Reaction score
POE

My issue is the reverse.

Mine is jumbo flat with parents staying across corridor. can I connect two flats starhub points using MOCA to give my parents net access to my fibre using moca?

moron+genius

Reaction score
My issue is the reverse.

Mine is jumbo flat with parents staying across corridor. can I connect two flats starhub points using MOCA to give my parents net access to my fibre using moca?
Technically can but not advisable as it also exposes ur data network to ur neighbors unless u r able to separate u n ur parents units’ tv pts network from the rest of the block. The cost of moca is more than cheapest FBB do really no point in doing tat imo. M1 300mbps $30 only... quite affordable..

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My issue is the reverse.

Just run a ethernet cable along all the way between yours and parents.

This was how my ex colleague (IT staff) did years ago.

dmho

Reaction score
Just run a ethernet cable along all the way between yours and parents.

This was how my ex colleague (IT staff) did years ago.

Cannot since flats are diagonally across corridor. Point block. Will run across neighbours' entrances.

dmho

Reaction score
Technically can but not advisable as it also exposes ur data network to ur neighbors unless u r able to separate u n ur parents units’ tv pts network from the rest of the block. The cost of moca is more than cheapest FBB do really no point in doing tat imo. M1 300mbps $30 only... quite affordable..

They are low users who just rely on 4G. This will allow them to watch World Cup via home view.

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Cannot since flats are diagonally across corridor. Point block. Will run across neighbours' entrances.
Can over the ceiling alongside netlink trust fibre with ducting? Management wont notice lol
Maybe can check if the scv/matv riser is locked?

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Possible as you can run the cables along the ceiling as my ex colleague did.
Thru several neighbours as his parents' flat at the other end on another level.
Just do it discreetly as it would not be obvious.. with so many other cabling.

nazris2002

Reaction score
lol, sry, i tried to be as layman as i could.
TLDR, no, moca will not work by having POE filter on each tv point

Moca gurus. I am glad to see an extensive coverage over this matter.

I bought the actiontec ver from amazon but now i ran into a wall. The box just arrived and i connected them both but these boxes dont talk to each other. Then i read here i need a PoE filter.

Now the difficult part is my where do i move on from here?

I saw that the sctv box is locked. But i also found splitters that had my unit no labelled on it. Then i saw 2 more cables connected to a distribution port and going somewhere.

Need advice where to plant the PoE now.

moron+genius

Reaction score

I bought the actiontec ver from amazon but now i ran into a wall. The box just arrived and i connected them both but these boxes dont talk to each other. Then i read here i need a PoE filter.

I saw that the sctv box is locked. But i also found splitters that had my unit no labelled on it. Then i saw 2 more cables connected to a distribution port and going somewhere.

Poe filter is point-of-entry it shld b install between the incoming tv cable from riser n main splitter. It’s 2 prevents moca signal going out of ur hse But ur devices dun talk won’t b resolve by Poe. U shld read manual no how 2 pairs them

nazris2002

Reaction score
I didnt know they need pairing. Thought its just plug and play.

From what i see at the riser there are 2 cables connected at the patch box. One goes into the splitter and has 2 outputs(labelled MBR and BR1). But i dont see cable for the living room.

My routers are at the living room and i wish to pair that with the one in the BR1. The question is at which point should the PoE be inserted?

Poe filter is point-of-entry it shld b install between the incoming tv cable from riser n main splitter. It’s 2 prevents moca signal going out of ur hse But ur devices dun talk won’t b resolve by Poe. U shld read manual no how 2 pairs them

nazris2002

Reaction score
How did you get the sets to work as i'm not able to. Plugged both ECB6200 at my living room(my fibre tp is there) and one in my bedroom. Only the power LED light up. Coax LED remains off.

I've done a loop test between the 2 sets and the coax LED lighted up so that shows the box is working. Checked my riser for the incoming cable signal and saw that there is 2 cables coming into my house. One for living room and the other has a splitter(i believe that goes to my bedroom and another room). I don't have a PoE yet so i'm not sure if that is the problem. Even if i have a PoE the question is where do i inserted them as there were 2 cables coming into the house.

moron+genius

Reaction score
How did you get the sets to work as i'm not able to. Plugged both ECB6200 at my living room(my fibre tp is there) and one in my bedroom. Only the power LED light up. Coax LED remains off.

I've done a loop test between the 2 sets and the coax LED lighted up so that shows the box is working. Checked my riser for the incoming cable signal and saw that there is 2 cables coming into my house. One for living room and the other has a splitter(i believe that goes to my bedroom and another room). I don't have a PoE yet so i'm not sure if that is the problem. Even if i have a PoE the question is where do i inserted them as there were 2 cables coming into the house.
It seems like ur 2pts of moca r not connected from ur description. Suggest u trace n understand ur internal tv network 1st. The 2 mocas needs 2 b in same network 2 work. Maybe u post some photos of ur dB closet so other users can try 2 help.

nazris2002

Reaction score
Exactly. Just went to the riser and track those cables. Here is how they were connected.

There are 2 cables from the TP at the risers. 1 goes direct into my living room(it was labelled "LV",tested this link too). The other goes into a splitter. Then 2 cables out from the splitters goes into my bedroom and masterbed room(labelled as "MBR" and "B1")

I believe that is why the boxes cant find each other because there were not on the same route. So i routed the cable.

Now both the living room and the masterbed room is connected to the splitter. The "IN" from the splitter goes to the TP socket at the riser.

Having sorted these cable however the boxes still can't find each other. I believe this is where the PoE comes in. By placing the PoE at the "IN" before the splitter will close the loop and maybe the boxe now can find each other. I hope i am right about this.

I ran a loop test between the 2 boxes and the coaxial LED lighted up on both so that shows the box is in working condition. Just that the connection at home is not that straight forward.

It seems like ur 2pts of moca r not connected from ur description. Suggest u trace n understand ur internal tv network 1st. The 2 mocas needs 2 b in same network 2 work. Maybe u post some photos of ur dB closet so other users can try 2 help.

mqseries88

Reaction score
I bought a pair of actiontec from amazon sometime mid of this year and they are working well. I do not have lan cable running around my place this a perfect solution in my situation.

PoE is a filter that prevent certain frequency signal from flowing out from your router into your neighbours' coax. For example, my next door relative was able to browse the internet with another actiontec installed at his coax point when I did not attach the PoE.

I do not see problem even if you do not install the PoE but to be a good neighbour consider getting one. If not, coax usage is dying soon with digital tv.

I also encountered some challenges during setup. The easiest way to test is go point by point. The green lights on actiontec will be able to tell you if the pairs connected. In the end I found that some of the splitters/filters between the coax points are blocking the signal. The solution is straight forward. I just removed the splitter/filter before moving to the next nearest connected point to test the lights again.

I bought these
POE - https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6

2 way splitters (I want to watch scv and use moca technology at the same time) -
https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0

Hope the info will help you with your setup.

nazris2002

Reaction score
That's what i thought. The box should talk to each other when plugged into the TV socket but it doesn't. So i suspect the way the cables were configured into the house may be of a different segment thus the boxes cannot find each other.

Check the riser and saw there is 2 different cables at the patch point. 1 goes direct to my living room TP and the other to a splitter and each labelled as B1(bedroom 1) and MBR(master bedroom). This is why the boxes cannot talk to each other i believe. Am having some trouble uploading image here. I'll include them when i found out how to do it.

nazris2002

Reaction score
Succesful

I wish to thank everyone that responded to my call for help while setting up the MoCA adapters in my house.

I finally succeeded. The problem i faced earlier was due to my own doings. I had accessed the boxes web pages and accidentally enabled the privacy while the other box was untouched. Due to this when i plugged the boxes they couldn't find each other.

While looking at the webserver for each of them i realised one of them had the privacy enabled. So after i set it the same for both boxes they finally worked. The loop test showed the coaxial light goes green on both boxes.

So thank you gurus for all your inputs and suggestions:)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.