HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

MoCA Network Setup

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #91

Exclamation

I have discontinued my starhub cable tv for a long time do I still need to install a POE filter? Thanks
If your coax cable is physically connected to the Starhub network then -> YES!

Remember, the MoCA protocol sends the signal into your whole coax network, which means if you are connected to the main coax cable from Starhub in the riser cabinet, it also sends the signal there (and then may interfere with your neighbours network or with the Starhub network).

Now, if you don't have service over that cable coming from the Starhub network you simply can disconnect the coax cable between your home and the riser cabinet. This usually can be done at the coax splitter but you then should get a termination cap.

Have a read through the discussion here - there's already plenty of good information!
alvinym likes this.
candrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #92

Would MoCA setup work for transmitting Starhub's Fibre IPTV signals across coax?

Starhub is phasing out Coax Cable TV and moving towards Fibre IPTV, that leaves my coax structure redundant and ethernet ports in shortage. Apparently the TV and Internet signals are transmuted from separate ports of the fibre modem, so I was hoping that I can use MoCA to route IPTV signals across existing coax.

Any insights much appreciated!

Last edited by banana55; 12-05-2018 at 05:17 AM..
banana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #93
Master Member

Its equivalent to laying a LAN cable

Sent from Samsung GT-N5120 using GAGT
tungsten2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #94

Would MoCA setup work for transmitting Starhub's Fibre IPTV signals across coax?

Starhub is phasing out Coax Cable TV and moving towards Fibre IPTV, that leaves my coax structure redundant and ethernet ports in shortage. Apparently the TV and Internet signals are transmuted from separate ports of the fibre modem, so I was hoping that I can use MoCA to route IPTV signals across.

Any insights much appreciated!
In theory, it should be possible as long as IPTV box has a LAN port.
However, as i do not and have not seen any iptv box before, I cant really give a definitive answer.
alvinym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #95
Master Member

Its just a medium for wired connection.

Sent from Samsung GT-N5120 using GAGT
tungsten2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #96

Bite the bullet and bought 1 set of Actiontec MoCA ECB6200 from Amazon PrimeSG

Setup and tested, max speed only abt 375~420Mbps.

Thought is my home cabling that is causing the issue. Disconnect everything and troubleshoot:

PC => CAT6 ethernet cable => ECB6200 => provided coaxial cable => ECB6200 => CAT6 ethernet cable => laptop (speed obtained is usually 375~420 Mbps)

PC ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> ethernet cable joint ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> laptop (speed obtained is around 900 Mbps)

PC ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> laptop (speed obtained is around 900 Mbps)

I've also tried replacing the "provided coaxial cable" but it doesn't help.

With the above tests conducted, I believed that I have eliminate PC, laptops and ethernet cables as factors that influence the test results. Therefore what is left unchanged are only the ECB6200 units and power adapters.

I've also went into the unit's configuration page as per 1st post (192.168.144.30) and saw that the firmware is quite up-to-date (version 11.1.50.6200.7) therefore I'm really running out of ideas on how to solve this issue besides returning them/RMA-ing.

Anyone has any bright ideas ? OR I super-duper unlucky, just received a lemon set ?
jowy_ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #97
Master Member

Bite the bullet and bought 1 set of Actiontec MoCA ECB6200 from Amazon PrimeSG

Setup and tested, max speed only abt 375~420Mbps.

Thought is my home cabling that is causing the issue. Disconnect everything and troubleshoot:

PC => CAT6 ethernet cable => ECB6200 => provided coaxial cable => ECB6200 => CAT6 ethernet cable => laptop (speed obtained is usually 375~420 Mbps)

PC ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> ethernet cable joint ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> laptop (speed obtained is around 900 Mbps)

PC ==> CAT6 ethernet cable ==> laptop (speed obtained is around 900 Mbps)

I've also tried replacing the "provided coaxial cable" but it doesn't help.

With the above tests conducted, I believed that I have eliminate PC, laptops and ethernet cables as factors that influence the test results. Therefore what is left unchanged are only the ECB6200 units and power adapters.

I've also went into the unit's configuration page as per 1st post (192.168.144.30) and saw that the firmware is quite up-to-date (version 11.1.50.6200.7) therefore I'm really running out of ideas on how to solve this issue besides returning them/RMA-ing.

Anyone has any bright ideas ? OR I super-duper unlucky, just received a lemon set ?
What is the attenuation or signal strength?
What is the frequency set?

Last edited by manyu882; 17-05-2018 at 06:03 PM..
manyu882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #98

Try asking in smallnetbuilder forum. More user there.
moron+genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #99

What is the attenuation or signal strength?
What is the frequency set?
RF Channel : 1150
Band : Band D Extended

Are these the info. U are looking for ? If not, please kindly point me to where to get those info., Thanks alot.
Old 18-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #100
Master Member

RF Channel : 1150
Band : Band D Extended

Are these the info. U are looking for ? If not, please kindly point me to where to get those info., Thanks alot.
Channel and band - ok

There is this graph of connectivity health between the 2 MoCa adapters. Able to screenshot? - can be found at the web utility

If that's' ok, means that either the firmware or lemon set.

Firmware - I have encountered one that doesn't enter bonded speed. What I did was look for another version of firmware, which I couldn't remember where it was but I think it's either SnB forum or Reddit.

Last edited by manyu882; 18-05-2018 at 07:22 AM..
manyu882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #101

There is someone at SNB (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac...d-speed.37036/) that is having the same issue and fellow forumers are advising on the iperf parameters.

I've tried those parameters suggested in SNB but seems like I can't run it in UDP mode, nothing happens

May I know what iperf parameters are U using for the test ?
Old 18-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #102

If your coax cable is physically connected to the Starhub network then -> YES!

Remember, the MoCA protocol sends the signal into your whole coax network, which means if you are connected to the main coax cable from Starhub in the riser cabinet, it also sends the signal there (and then may interfere with your neighbours network or with the Starhub network).

Now, if you don't have service over that cable coming from the Starhub network you simply can disconnect the coax cable between your home and the riser cabinet. This usually can be done at the coax splitter but you then should get a termination cap.

Have a read through the discussion here - there's already plenty of good information!
Thanks for the detail explanation.
jazz2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #103

POE

My issue is the reverse.

Mine is jumbo flat with parents staying across corridor. can I connect two flats starhub points using MOCA to give my parents net access to my fibre using moca?
dmho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #104

My issue is the reverse.

Mine is jumbo flat with parents staying across corridor. can I connect two flats starhub points using MOCA to give my parents net access to my fibre using moca?
Technically can but not advisable as it also exposes ur data network to ur neighbors unless u r able to separate u n ur parents units’ tv pts network from the rest of the block. The cost of moca is more than cheapest FBB do really no point in doing tat imo. M1 300mbps $30 only... quite affordable..

Last edited by moron+genius; 01-06-2018 at 05:51 PM..
moron+genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #105
Supremacy Member

My issue is the reverse.

Just run a ethernet cable along all the way between yours and parents.

This was how my ex colleague (IT staff) did years ago.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.