HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

MoCA Network Setup

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #121

I jusr found out our round cable TV points (coaxial?) cannot be used after 31/12.
StarHub said we need to install data points to watch tb moving forward.

Are we able to buy and use a MoCA device to convert the round cable TV points into data points. Will this still be usable after 31/12 since this will no longer be supported?

If yes, where can we buy this converter device?

Thanks.
neonewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #122

I jusr found out our round cable TV points (coaxial?) cannot be used after 31/12.

Are we able to buy and use a MoCA device to convert the round cable TV points into data points. Will this still be usable after 31/12 since this will no longer be supported?

Thanks.
Amazon, even got tv still can use moca. Tv n moca supposed 2 use diff freq range
moron+genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #123

Wow that's a lot of misinformation.

Are you referring to the use of the coaxial point to watch local TV (i.e. channel 5, 8 etc)?

If you're a cable TV subscriber, the channels via your set top box will work as per normal.

If you're not a cable TV subscriber, local TV will no longer be transmitted via the cable TV point because the analogue TV signal will be switched off.

The government made it a law for StarHub to only transmit the old analogue signal that used to be received via the rooftop TV antenna.

Since we now have digital TV, the re-transmission is no longer necessary.

Installing data points will NOT allow you to watch TV unless you subscribe to fibre TV. Therefore MoCA isn't going to help.

What you need to do is simply purchase a digital TV set top box for each TV you want to watch local channels on.

https://www.digitaltv.sg/
crewcutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #124
Supremacy Member

Thanks.
If you are referring to Starhub on regarding to analogue to digital tv on those using cable set top box (STB) connected to cable TV coaxial point.

This is misinformation by whoever said to you as Starhub themselves have clarify on this issue.

Refer to > Free-to-air FAQ

That's if you are using their Cable STB then there is nothing to worry about.

This is the case of Cable TV is moving to Fibre TV as this is due to Cable network is going to cease.

Starhub Cable network for both Cable TV and Broadband services are leased and the lease will expire in 2020.

Hence Starhub is moving all Cable subscribers to Fibre TV and Broadband services.

Starhub do provide special offer to selective Cable TV subscribers to upgrade to Fibre TV and may come with Free Fibre Broadband and Router on the same existing pricing plan.

Do note that Starhub TV required a separate ethernet cable connection between the ONT (fibre modem) to the Fibre TV STB and not able to use the same ethernet cabling with internet access.
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #125

Just converted my PowerLine setup to MoCA network. Was getting 150 Mbps max on PowerLine and now reaching 800/900 Mbps.

Main reason was to switch to FibreTV and PowerLine was too narrow.

Bought two TP Link SG108E and configured the switch port to MoCA Convertor to Trunk Port for Data and FibreTV VLAN (1091).

ONT Fibre TV and first set top box is plug in to first switch and both ports are configured for FibreTV VLAN while the rest of the ports are configured as Data VLAN and the router is plugged into one of them.

2nd set top box is directly connected to MoCA converter without a switch in a separate room.

3rd MoCA converter is connected to another room and the 2nd switch is connected for Data VLAN only.

The only thing to note is that the set top boxes cannot boot up correctly if IGMP Snooping is enabled (by default) so it needs to be disabled on the switch with FibreTV VLAN.

This cause additional multicast traffic on the MoCA trunk since the IPTV traffic is multicast. My Speedtest deteriorate by 50Mbps because of this but is a small price to pay.

Last edited by coldkey; 22-10-2018 at 09:46 AM..
coldkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #126

Just converted my PowerLine setup to MoCA network. Was getting 150 Mbps max on PowerLine and now reaching 800/900 Mbps.

Main reason was to switch to FibreTV and PowerLine was too narrow.

Bought two TP Link SG108E and configured the switch port to MoCA Convertor to Trunk Port for Data and FibreTV VLAN (1091).

ONT Fibre TV and first set top box is plug in to first switch and both ports are configured for FibreTV VLAN while the rest of the ports are configured as Data VLAN and the router is plugged into one of them.

2nd set top box is directly connected to MoCA converter without a switch in a separate room.

3rd MoCA converter is connected to another room and the 2nd switch is connected for Data VLAN only.

The only thing to note is that the set top boxes cannot boot up correctly if IGMP Snooping is enabled (by default) so it needs to be disabled on the switch with FibreTV VLAN.

This cause additional multicast traffic on the MoCA trunk since the IPTV traffic is multicast. My Speedtest deteriorate by 50Mbps because of this but is a small price to pay.
Hi, can i confirm that your setup has 3 moca adapters and all 3 moca adapters can "talk" to one another? Which model of moca adapter are you using? Thanks
vok003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #127

Hi, can i confirm that your setup has 3 moca adapters and all 3 moca adapters can "talk" to one another? Which model of moca adapter are you using? Thanks
Yup, there are 3 MoCA adapters and they are talking to each other similar to an Ethernet Hub. Just make sure you use the same settings if you change the default settings. I bought 2 pairs and is keeping one as spare.

Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter, 2 Pack (ECB6200K02)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7O3X0..._aeZZBbX0XSY16

You can access the UI using the instructions here
https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/...6200-firmware/

Last edited by coldkey; 23-10-2018 at 10:40 PM..
coldkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #128

Thanks alot for your reply and links, Coldkey
vok003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #129

Peeps need some advise here. Just installed the Actiontec today but I found a strange issue with my download speed. I’m able to hit 900Mbits on my upload but only able to achieve 250Mbits on the download. Just wondering if having a POE filter matters because I’ve disconnected the main coax coming in.
coolstardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #130

Try to connect both adapters directly to each other without the coax network and test the speed. This should take all possible factors off coax, spitters or bad terminators in your environment. If download speed is still 200Mbits, the subpar download could be related to your AP or router.

Peeps need some advise here. Just installed the Actiontec today but I found a strange issue with my download speed. Im able to hit 900Mbits on my upload but only able to achieve 250Mbits on the download. Just wondering if having a POE filter matters because Ive disconnected the main coax coming in.
mqseries88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #131

Peeps need some advise here. Just installed the Actiontec today but I found a strange issue with my download speed. I’m able to hit 900Mbits on my upload but only able to achieve 250Mbits on the download. Just wondering if having a POE filter matters because I’ve disconnected the main coax coming in.
Maybe there is nothing wrong with your network but simply you have many devices connected and your testing device is sharing the bandwidth with the other devices which are downloading quite some stuff .
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #132

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...kdl93uogneLxpA

After looking at this news, I started searching and stumbled on this thread.

Assuming my ONT is in the room, the starhub fibre modem would be placed there, I would be able to use the MoCA adaptors to connect to the new fibre TV setup box placed in my living room right?

Refering to the opening post, I have to locate where the coaxial enters my house and remove the cable from outside and my home coaxial cabling will be "linked"?
Twiddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #133
Supremacy Member

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...kdl93uogneLxpA

After looking at this news, I started searching and stumbled on this thread.

Assuming my ONT is in the room, the starhub fibre modem would be placed there, I would be able to use the MoCA adaptors to connect to the new fibre TV setup box placed in my living room right?

Refering to the opening post, I have to locate where the coaxial enters my house and remove the cable from outside and my home coaxial cabling will be "linked"?
The ONT is usually placed next/close to FTP which is situated in/near DB Box in the living room.

Most users issue lies in the TV set top box (STB) is in the bedroom where the ONT is in the living room and do not have any data point.

In your case where if the FTP is in the living room and there is a short distance between FTP/ONT and TV/STB location then with ethernet cable via trunking would be better option.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #134

The ONT is usually placed next/close to FTP which is situated in/near DB Box in the living room.

Most users issue lies in the TV set top box (STB) is in the bedroom where the ONT is in the living room and do not have any data point.

In your case where if the FTP is in the living room and there is a short distance between FTP/ONT and TV/STB location then with ethernet cable via trunking would be better option.
mine is a resale maisonette, the FTP is upstairs in the bedroom (previous owner installation) while the living room tv is downstairs.
Twiddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #135
Supremacy Member

mine is a resale maisonette, the FTP is upstairs in the bedroom (previous owner installation) while the living room tv is downstairs.
Well if you want to and when you sign-up then request if they make the changes in the location of the FTP to your living room.

No harm to enquire/request and to see if they have any other option.

If not you can ask Starhub to do the conversion for you since the cable coaxial network belong to them for now.
Not sure if they still provide such services or not.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.