MyRepublic Asus RT-N56U WAN IP and Public IP

ThatAngel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently started with myrepublic and am using the RT-AC56U router. I'm facing issues with port forwarding a foscam which I've set up before successfully under starhub.

Looking at the router settings, my WAN IP (from the network map in the router admin page) is different from my public IP (which I get from whatismyip.com), which I think is causing the issue in my port forwarding, though I don't really know.

Does anyone have experience with differing WAN IPs and public IPs?
Is this causing my issue in port forwarding? If so, how do I get my WAN IP and public IP in sync? Thanks.

Regards,
Daniel

Last edited:

ThatAngel

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. However, on Starhub, I believe I was also on a private dynamic IP where port forwarding worked with the DDNS service that foscam comes with. Now, the same portforwarding settings with a different provider are not working, and I'm trying to understand where the difference lies.

The only difference I see is that the router has its own WAN IP, which differs from my public IP.

Groudon

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. However, on Starhub, I believe I was also on a private dynamic IP where port forwarding worked with the DDNS service that foscam comes with. Now, the same portforwarding settings with a different provider are not working, and I'm trying to understand where the difference lies.

The only difference I see is that the router has its own WAN IP, which differs from my public IP.

No, StarHub provides a dynamic public IP. This means the router IP will be the same as the ones you check online on whatismyip.com etc.

razivsharma

Reaction score
MyRepublic do not give dynamic public IP, and without having public IP you can not reach your home network from outside.... no matter how much you do port forwarding or DDNS .... your home network is not visible on Internet and therefore you can not see your IP Cam or home NAS. All other ISPs provide dynamic public IP.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.