HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need advice on setting up internet for new flat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Need advice on setting up internet for new flat

Iím currently contracted to StarHub cable for my current house and Iím moving into a new 4 room flat within the next 2 months.

How can I ensure that thereís connectivity throughout the new house without any drop in signal or strength?

My desktop pc with no wifi capabilities is in my study room. My main concern is having connectivity in the study room followed by the living room cause of the tv as well as the tv in another bed room.

Any plans or provider to recommend ?

Sorry Iím a complete idiot at such stuffs. Wifi mesh wonít work for my desktop right cause there isnít a lan cable to connect to my desktop?

Last edited by IceX; 10-08-2020 at 12:00 AM..
IceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #2

Iím currently contracted to StarHub cable for my current house and Iím moving into a new 4 room flat within the next 2 months.

How can I ensure that thereís connectivity throughout the new house without any drop in signal or strength?

My desktop pc with no wifi capabilities is in my study room. My main concern is having connectivity in the study room followed by the living room cause of the tv as well as the tv in another bed room.

Sorry Iím a complete idiot at such stuffs. Wifi mesh wonít work right cause there isnít a lan cable to connect to my desktop?
For pc, you can get Nano Wireless USB Adapter.
Example: https://www.tp-link.com/sg/home-netw...nano/#overview
Tiger9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #3

iirc when i last saw on the forum for mesh is that u dun need to link up lan cable to get your mesh setup, as mesh setup can be connected even on wireless and they are more of a node with the same name just that it will be covering blindspot for weak wireless signal around your house but it depends on the node location and your house design....maybe placing node at a good place to extend might be a good way?
RLWZ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:31 AM   #4

Sorry Iím a complete idiot at such stuffs. Wifi mesh wonít work for my desktop right cause there isnít a lan cable to connect to my desktop?

- ensure each room has a lan point. Your central patch panel should reach all these points in each room.
- if you wan the best signals and speeds, you might need to have to have wireless access points or mesh with wired backhual in each room. In most scenarios depending on house layout, having a single access point / wireless router in a central location would be sufficient (but some parts could have a bit weaker signals)
- if you want the strongest signal, use 2.4 band. Its range vs speed (5ghz). The 2.4 band although slower, does give a more stable signal with greater range.
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.