HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need advice: Should I buy a switch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #1

Need advice: Should I buy a switch?

Hi, am not a tech person and just want some advice here.

I want to set up my basement (landed house) as a home office and require good network connection for lots of video calls. I tried an wifi extender (my router on 2nd floor unfortunately) but got occasional network drops and not working well with video quality.

As my fiber cable modem is located at the basement, I am thinking of adding a switch and do a wired set up at basement to improve on the connection quality.

Want some advice on whether it is just a straight forward thing.
-buy a switch
-connect to a new router at basement

Is this it?? Thanks in advance.
stanip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do you have any ethernet cable that links the basement to the 2nd floor ?
If you don't, buying a switch doesn't help.

If you are planning to do ethernet trunking from basement to rest of the house, then it would help to solve your problems.

( Router ) Basement - ethernet trunking - to L1/L2/L3 etc...

You can then add wifi access points on each of the floors to enhance the signal coverage.

Example:

Last edited by xonix; 30-07-2020 at 10:18 AM..
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #3

Hi, am not a tech person and just want some advice here.

I want to set up my basement (landed house) as a home office and require good network connection for lots of video calls. I tried an wifi extender (my router on 2nd floor unfortunately) but got occasional network drops and not working well with video quality.

As my fiber cable modem is located at the basement, I am thinking of adding a switch and do a wired set up at basement to improve on the connection quality.

Want some advice on whether it is just a straight forward thing.
-buy a switch
-connect to a new router at basement

Is this it?? Thanks in advance.
which isp?

in general....
if you need good network connection, wired connection is recommended
for these devices, pull a line from the router's LAN port to the basement, install a switch, connect the wired devices to it.

do you need wireless in the basement?
if so, add an access point (AP) or re-purposed router (to act as an AP) to the switch to provide coverage. if the basement coverage is across several rooms, place the AP as high as possible eg wall mount or on top of a tall cupboard. for placement avoid beams and columns in between you and the AP

do your wireless devices in the basement need to connect to other devices eg nas, on the network?
if so, for the basement, if you use a re-purposed router, do not plug that router's WAN port into the switch. connect it to the switch via one of the 4 LAN ports. this is to avoid "double nat" - it may or may not pose a problem, depends on your specific network connections

edit: in the above, i assume your wireless coverage from level 1 (street level) and above is adequate/good. i also assume you will not be doing heavy downloading/bandwidth intensive tasks concurrently with the video calls.

Last edited by loganrunning; 30-07-2020 at 10:50 AM..
loganrunning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #4

Thanks to both advice! Attached is the current. Fibre cable (Starhub) & fibre modem (Starhub) currently at basement, wired connected to router on 2/f.

Question: Can I connect the fibre modem to a switch at basement? Then (i) from switch to old wired connection to 2/F router. And (ii) from switch to add another wired connection to another router at basement?

1 picture is current. 2nd picture is the idea ...

Last edited by stanip; 30-07-2020 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: pciture not showing
Old 30-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #5

Old 30-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #6

Thanks to both advice! Attached is the current. Fibre cable (Starhub) & fibre modem (Starhub) currently at basement, wired connected to router on 2/f.

Question: Can I connect the fibre modem to a switch at basement? Then (i) from switch to old wired connection to 2/F router. And (ii) from switch to add another wired connection to another router at basement?

1 picture is current. 2nd picture is the idea ...

for some reason, picture does not show.

your connections need to be behind/downstream from your router ie:

fibre point (opennet/nlt) --> ONT --> wireless router --> wired & wireless connections (wired includes downstream switches)

short answer to your question, no.

long answer, in general, it won't work, but there may be info out there to prove me wrong (assuming no re-configuration of ONT)

edit: pictures showed up after saving initial post

is the blue "fibre modem" in the basement, the ONT? or an actual router?
if it is an actual router, assuming a consumer off-the-shelf router, it should provide a wireless signal.

if your router on level 2 is an asus router (assumption from the picture), you can investigate their AiMesh solution to provide coverage in the basement, by adding another asus router. since the coverage in the basement is poor, recommend pulling a line from the existing router to the basement, then having the AiMesh node there ("wired backhaul"). This node may also provide sufficient wired connections, if not, still add the switch in the basement, then connect the AiMesh node to the switch.

Last edited by loganrunning; 30-07-2020 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: pictures showed up after saving initial post
Old 30-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #7

Oh thanks...

Should I consider moving the router to basement? Then replace the 2/F router with a wired extender?

for some reason, picture does not show.

your connections need to be behind/downstream from your router ie:

fibre point (opennet/nlt) --> ONT --> wireless router --> wired & wireless connections (wired includes downstream switches)

short answer to your question, no.

long answer, in general, it won't work, but there may be info out there to prove me wrong (assuming no re-configuration of ONT)
Old 30-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #8

Correct. The blue "fibre modem" in the basement is the ONT.
Old 30-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #9

Oh thanks...

Should I consider moving the router to basement? Then replace the 2/F router with a wired extender?
yes, that is an alternative, if current wiring installation allows this. it would be neater. earlier assumption of pulling line down was that current router could not be moved to basement, or current installation did not allow this.

alternative 1: as proposed. least work in terms of configuration. just installation work. network pretty much unchanged.

alternative 2: add a new router in the basement after the ONT. 1 wired output goes up to Level 2. convert current router into AP. new router provides wireless and wired connections in basement.
advantage is upgraded routing capabilities (upgrade for more devices in future). Assumes most of the devices needing high speed wireless connections will be in the basement, esp if you get an AX/Wifi6 router.
disadvantage is upstairs wireless coverage remains at current speed/technology. may not be real disadvantage if you do not see major need for wireless speed increase in short term. eventually, when needed, just upgrade the upstairs AP to AX/wifi6/wifi6e
Old 30-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

It had to go in the following sequence for it to work correctly,

Fibre modem > router > wifi access points on upper levels

You do not need a switch if there are sufficient LAN ports on your router.
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #11

Thanks so much Loganrunning and xonix.

I'll go with alternative 2. Add a new router in the basement after the ONT. 1 wired output goes up to Level 2. convert current router into AP. new router provides wireless and wired connections in basement.
advantage is upgraded routing capabilities (upgrade for more devices in future).

Will skip the switch idea.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 31-07-2020, 01:02 AM   #12

Thanks so much Loganrunning and xonix.

I'll go with alternative 2. Add a new router in the basement after the ONT. 1 wired output goes up to Level 2. convert current router into AP. new router provides wireless and wired connections in basement.
advantage is upgraded routing capabilities (upgrade for more devices in future).

Will skip the switch idea.

Thanks again for your advice.
NP, just 2 things to consider/watch out for:
1. if your wired devices in basement + 1 wired line up, is more than the number of LAN ports in router, you will need a switch.

2. if your current router is an Asus, check if you want to implement AiMesh, or leave it as a plain AP. If your mobile devices can switch quickly, you will get the impression of seamless "roaming" even with the current router as a plain AP.

hope it works out well.
cheers
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.