HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

need help on home network setup

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

Mesh seems like a good solution for now.
magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #17

Mesh seems like a good solution for now.
I thought so...
i-Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:53 AM   #18

Not for watching video :-)
I plan to move home office to the study room (used to be the corner of living room), I need fast and stable network connectivity.
Fast stable = ethernet
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #19

Wiring along the walls do not need to do any hacking or breaking the walls itself.

The cables are inside the trucking and can run along like skirting either top bottom as you wish.

The cost of 1 connection from each end with data points cost varies to around $107 depend on the contractor, including ISP contractors or others.
The cost can include ethernet cables and data points at both end with the length is usually for standard HDB flat.

This will definitely give a better speed performance as there will not be any drop or problematic connection.
do you have contact of any good contractors who are doing home wiring? may want to check with them if they provide any other solution to hide cable instead of trunking.

thanks
Old 10-03-2018, 01:14 AM   #20
Supremacy Member

do you have contact of any good contractors who are doing home wiring? may want to check with them if they provide any other solution to hide cable instead of trunking.

thanks
Sorry as i only rely on ISP Starhub contractor to do networking for me.
They did it in my previous past flat by means of trunking along top and bottom of the wall and a tiny gap or hole of the bedroom door to inside.
And recently did a telephone point conversion to data point as my new BTO HDB tel point is using Cat-6 cable.

There is a list somewhere here in these forums, need to search or someone may able to provide as they had done before.

Maybe see if anyone can response to you here.

Regards.
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

thanks
If u dun want trunking and hide those cable. Most likely they will need to hack your wall so that they can do that.
ZrE0_Cha0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #22

As mentioned by others, the best is still wired-ethernet loh.... MoCA is the other alternative but needs addition electronics which is subjected to hardware failure loh..

yes, heard about it long time ago, didn't pay extra attention to it because, if i remembered, the speedtest on lan wasn't very attractive, around 200-300Mbps something? maybe it is improved today i am not too sure, if it is able to provide 1Gbps throughput, I will give it a try, at least I got coax in every room.
JustDoLor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #23

just an update, I relocated Time Capsule, surprisingly I am now getting 300Mbps in study room #3b... :-)

If I decide to setup a Mesh network, say Orbi RBK50 to replace TC, main Orbi Router in bridge mode, same location where TC sits now, one Orbi satellite put in the study room #3b. Wireless backhaul.

Will I get better speed in study room?

I am not sure if I understand how Orbi works

client -> TC (5Ghz): 300Mbps
client -> satellite (5Ghz) -> dedicated 5Ghz backhaul (878x2Mbps) -> main Orbi.

For the same distance, if 5Ghz max throughput is 300Mbps, does that mean the max throughput between orbi satellite and main is also 300Mbps? When client connects to satellite, it won't get more than 300Mbps?

Or since Orbi has 2 dedicated 5Ghz for backhaul, the throughput between satellite and main Orbi will be faster than client to TC?
Old 18-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #24

got orbi rbk50 in it show,

main orbi at #2, AP mode.
satellit at #3b

in living room, connect to main orbi, 550Mbps;
in guest room, connect to main orbi, 520Mbps;
in study room, connect to satellite, 590Mbps;
in master room, connect to satellite, 40-50Mbps;

no drop, no disconnection so far.

I am happy with this result.

I think the dedicated 2x866Mbps backhaul channels really makes difference.

Old 18-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #25

got orbi rbk50 in it show,

main orbi at #2, AP mode.
satellit at #3b

in living room, connect to main orbi, 550Mbps;
in guest room, connect to main orbi, 520Mbps;
in study room, connect to satellite, 590Mbps;
in master room, connect to satellite, 40-50Mbps;

no drop, no disconnection so far.

I am happy with this result.

I think the dedicated 2x866Mbps backhaul channels really makes difference.

Congratulations on finally deciding on something to improve your network after such a long time considering
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #26

Congratulations on finally deciding on something to improve your network after such a long time considering
it was actually quite fun when doing the research, i studied almost every Mesh product in the market even the last min out Asus Lyra Trio, found out their pros and cons from various forums, also had a deep understanding on MoCA too.
Old 18-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #27

it was actually quite fun when doing the research, i studied almost every Mesh product in the market even the last min out Asus Lyra Trio, found out their pros and cons from various forums, also had a deep understanding on MoCA too.
Maybe next time you research on wired APs switches and routers and go deeper down the networking rabbit hole
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #28

If u dun want trunking and hide those cable. Most likely they will need to hack your wall so that they can do that.
Depends if your flat has false ceiling or not.
Else you have to ask contractor to carve a mini "trench" on the wall to hide the cables.
LoneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #29
Supremacy Member

Wired connection + multiple wired APs is still the best.

I spent alot of money trying out all kinds of non wired solutions (high gain antenna, powerline, early adaptor of RT-AC78U to EA-AC87u etc) and non was ideal. Did not try mesh yet because mesh was not mainstream during that time. One fine day I told my wife, I dun care. I'm going to diy pull cat6 through the entire house.

Pulling cables through false ceiling is a PITA. It gets super messy. The gypsum powder irritated my skin quite bad. I took 4 weekends to finally pull it through my home. a contractor can probably do it at a faster rate though. U can diy terminate the points if the contractor refuse to do it. ( I DIYed the entire process because it gives me the bragging rights )

Now, using a full Ubiquiti setup, my home has wired connections for most devices, and multiple APs for mobile phones. Best decision ever

Last edited by hawthorne; 20-03-2018 at 09:15 PM..
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #30

Wired connection + multiple wired APs is still the best.

I spent alot of money trying out all kinds of non wired solutions (high gain antenna, powerline, early adaptor of RT-AC78U to EA-AC87u etc) and non was ideal. Did not try mesh yet because mesh was not mainstream during that time. One fine day I told my wife, I dun care. I'm going to diy pull cat6 through the entire house.

Pulling cables through false ceiling is a PITA. It gets super messy. The gypsum powder irritated my skin quite bad. I took 4 weekends to finally pull it through my home. a contractor can probably do it at a faster rate though. U can diy terminate the points if the contractor refuse to do it. ( I DIYed the entire process because it gives me the bragging rights )

Now, using a full Ubiquiti setup, my home has wired connections for most devices, and multiple APs for mobile phones. Best decision ever
i believe so, if I had cable wired in my apartment, or i was determined to hack wall/ceiling, i probably won't even think about Mesh at the first place...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.