Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need help pls for wifi and data conversion troubles

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sukmano
  • 1 Post By -Grift-

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2018, 12:55 AM   #1

Need help pls for wifi and data conversion troubles

Hi there to all gurus and let me thank you first for any advice given.

Im staying in punggol new BTO. Ballot around 2012 Dec and moved in 2015 Aug. Stayed for 3 years till now 2018. 4 room Hdb. Just 2 people staying.

- Have all telephone points converted to data points.
- Using Singtel unlimited fibreplan. I think should be 1gbps. And the plan is for 3rd party router. According to Singtel people is "untagged" so wont be able to use singtel router and only 3rd party routers.
- Data points at all rooms and at TV area.
- Using Prolink PSW 520G 5 port Gigabit Ethernet Switch in Master Bedroom.
- Using Netgear nighthawk X6 router.
- Using Singtel given Optical Network Terminal.
- Using Tenda A301 wifi extender.
- Bought a few CAT 6 flat thin black cables from Qoo10 to join up the rest of the connections.
- Broadcasting both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi on Channel 6.
- ONT ethernet ports behind are labelled LAN 1 - 4.
- Netgear router ethernet port behind labelled just numbers 1 - 4.
- Prolink gigabit ethernet switch, ethernet ports behind just labelled as numbers 1 - 5

Connections are as follows:

- The thin yellow fibre wire to the ONT --> inserted CAT 6 cable from LAN 1 port of ONT to "TV" port (data point labelled TV in the small box where the fibre is) --> Inserted CAT 6 cable from data port at TV area to INTERNET port of Netgear Nighthawk X6 router --> inserted CAT 6 cable from ethernet port 1 of Netgear Nighthawk X6 router to laptop

- Inserted CAT 6 cable to LAN 4 port of ONT to the converted data points labelled "4" (in the small box where the fibre is) which is for the Master Bedroom --> CAT 6 cable from converted data point in Master Bedroom to ethernet port number 1 of Prolink gigabit Ethernet switch --> CAT 6 cables to ethernet ports 4 and 5 of Prolink ethernet switch to 2 different laptops

- CAT 6 cable from ethernet port 3 of Prolink switch to Tenda A301 wifi extender. (Dont know if wiring the extender will work or its not supposed to)

Using speedtest.net:

On my phones and if my laptops connect to wifi (2.4, basically never use 5ghz as always drop even if right beside router), ping is avging around 10-15 and jumps to about a 100 randomly quite often, upload and download speed can drop to 1.5mbps and avging to around 10-15mbps

On the laptop in the living room connected to the router, ping is avging 15-25 and jumps to 100-200 randomly quite often, upload and download speeds drop to less than 1 mbps but avging to around 90mbps.

On my laptops in the master bedroom when wired by the cables, ping is avging around 5-25 and jumps to crazy amounts randomly quite often too, upload and download speeds also drop to below 1mbps randomly and avging around 25mbps.

Internet is intermittent and drops suddenly for no reason not even when downloading or anything, I know because some stuff you use like google chrome lets you know that there is no internet connection when the dinosaur comes out or some other apps or programs will just shutdown and tell you that there is no internet connection. It comes back on sometimes in seconds, sometimes waiting up to minutes and happens whenever and quite often throughout the day not specific to peak hours.

Even with the wifi extender in the room with me, signal strength on my bed when the wifi extender is within arm's reach of me is -30 to -50dBm.

In the living room, signal strength is the same from -30 to -50 dbm.

Used the apps on my samsung phone called Netgear wifi analytics and another called wifi analyzer to measure the signal strength.

Because of the intermittent internet I have asked for an appointment for a technician from Singtel to come down and help me check my connection. They have done a reset on my profile on their end and the technician checked and said connection was no problem.

Used my laptop and wired it to the ONT and got ping of less than 10 and download and upload speed of 900+++ near 1k. Was using the technician CAT 6 cable and suspected the CAT 6 cable i got from Qoo10 was a fake and tested it with my own cable and got the same reading. So technician told me on their end all was fine and will continue to monitor if my signal is still intermittent and left.

How do I check if the cables from HDB in my ex phone lines now data points are CAT 6 or at least CAT 5e for 1gbps?

Is there a gadget I can buy to check if the cables are working fine and also check the speed of the cables?

Any advice on the above and how I can improve or rectify any mistakes I made?

During my research I have found some saying that CAT 6 cables cannot possible be flat and thin. Is there any way to find out if the cables I bought are actually CAT 6 ?

I just want working 1gbps internet (or at least near to 1gbps) so I can surf and play my games properly, finally...

I have been googling and studying something I never got in touch with in my life intensively for some time and trying and trying to get it all working to no avail, on the verge of torching my house to the ground with me in the middle of the blazing inferno choking all the cables and modems and routers and extenders etc and wrestling them all to internet dead zone hell with me.

Please someone, anyone help me...

(If you need a reasonable monetary reimbursement but can solve all these for me, let us discuss.)
Kobeikoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #2

Had similar issues last time when a contractor did my CAT runs with inconsistent pings and very Low speeds, using a dedicated tool they had it turned out that some cables not crimped properly which resulted in the inconsistencies. Call a contractor and hope it’s just bad crimping

Edit: abit confused by your routing as well, ONT is in the same “place” as FTP and patch panel? Why not put a router there so that cables on flow 1 way
FTP -> ONT -> Router -> patch panel -> switch/devices/Wireless APs etc

Last edited by -Grift-; 02-03-2018 at 06:55 AM..
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #3

U say ur master bedroom connect to ONT? Dun tink tats correct. Everything shld b connected 2 router.. except Singtel TV...
Try connecting master bedroom 2 router 1st n test again
Also u haf both router WiFi n extender WiFi on? Use different channels 2 avoid interfering each other.

Last edited by moron+genius; 02-03-2018 at 12:53 PM..
moron+genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #4

Had similar issues last time when a contractor did my CAT runs with inconsistent pings and very Low speeds, using a dedicated tool they had it turned out that some cables not crimped properly which resulted in the inconsistencies. Call a contractor and hope it’s just bad crimping

Edit: abit confused by your routing as well, ONT is in the same “place” as FTP and patch panel? Why not put a router there so that cables on flow 1 way
FTP -> ONT -> Router -> patch panel -> switch/devices/Wireless APs etc

Thx for the advice

Do you know any way I can check it myself? Worried that ask contractor down and they say its nothing then I have to pay for nothing again...

The router was in the same place before but from that "place" to master room signal is so bad that even with wifi extender it cnnot get enough signal to broadcast from router so i had to shift it to the tv area in the living room
Old 02-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

U say ur master bedroom connect to ONT? Dun tink tats correct. Everything shld b connected 2 router.. except Singtel TV...
Try connecting master bedroom 2 router 1st n test again
Also u haf both router WiFi n extender WiFi on? Use different channels 2 avoid interfering each other.
Thx for the advice

I will try different channels on the 2 different devices and see if its better, but in the end my speed is not even close to 100mbps when its supposed to be 1000mbps

Its not connected to ONT, its ONT to converted data point in that small place that links to the master room
Old 02-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Hi, your connection is correct up to the router. However, connection between switch in master bedroom via ont lan port 4 is the culprit. The ont does not have routing functions. In your setup, traffic coming from devices thru your master bedroom switch and to the ont port 4 ... Where will be the destination? Are the ont ports bridged? If they are not, it will cause problems like you have described. Only one link from ont to router and thereafter all connections must be to the router.
Kobeikoh likes this.
sukmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #7

Thank you so much

Once I saw your advice I went to research and it seems alot people say ONT only LAN 1 will work and the rest of the ports not working. Though I dont know the reason why. I immediately went and put back my router into the small utility box and connect it to the ONT and the room converted data point to the router.

It seems to work abit better but the speed is still only around 25mbps, still cant reach near the 1000mbps.

But thank you so much sukmano, at least I am one step closer to achieving internet bliss.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

Thx for the advice

Do you know any way I can check it myself? Worried that ask contractor down and they say its nothing then I have to pay for nothing again...

The router was in the same place before but from that "place" to master room signal is so bad that even with wifi extender it cnnot get enough signal to broadcast from router so i had to shift it to the tv area in the living room
Either borrow the device from someone or manually run CAT lines from ONT port 1 to patch panel ports 1 by 1 and test the other end manually to see if each connection is fully functional

E.g.
ONT -> patch panel port 1 -> corresponding port in room -> laptop
ONT -> patch panel port 2 -> corresponding port in room -> laptop
ONT -> data point 4 -> bed room port -> laptop
Etc etc etc
This way the only variable at play is the converted phone lines
Kobeikoh likes this.
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #9

Thank you so much for the advice Grift.

I didnt know that would work. Am going to do that right now and update
Old 02-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #10

Followed Grift and sukmano advise:

- Used only LAN 1 port of ONT
- Connected only router to ONT and all other connections to router
- Checked cabling by ONT --> patch panel --> port in room --> laptop

Found 1 faulty CAT 6 cable that only transmits at 100 mbps and master room port is the only one transmitting at 100mpbs, all the rest of the rooms were fine with speeds from 250 - 700 mbps, but i guess that is Singtel provider issue.

After that reconnected ONT --> router --> patch panel
and realised that when connected to router ALL speed cap at 100mbps. So went and research and found out that if router has firmware need to update sometimes will give this problem.

Updated firmware and all ok except for master bedroom port. Worst problem, as that is where the only 2 people in the house stay...

LED light on router shows that the port used to connect to the master room is red which means not transmitting at 1gbps.

Does that mean my cabling to master room is kaput?

How can I find the fault is at which end?

How can I recognize what fault it is and how do I rectify it?

Anyways, now with wifi extender in the room, wifi speed on phone is only a dismal 1.5 mbps at best. Have ordered a range extender, Netgear ex6200, which is said to be able to be wired so that it can broadcast from the wired speed rather than trying to catch a weak signal and amplifying it. But now with the port in master room not working means useless.....

MANY MANY thanks for the advise thus far!
Managed to lvl up and now at least halfway to internet heaven.

Please if somebody can help with with the last cabling problem, I will give you a flying kiss~
Old 16-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

Before u do anything, try changing the network cable. I recently took 2 hr to troubleshoot a poor speed from my new access point, and in the end, it's the network cable problem. The cable is a brand new volare branded one. So, sometimes, when new cables can be faulty.

If that does not help. Then read on

Buy a cheap network cable tester. This is invaluable in troubleshooting network points

Take out ur MBR network point and re-terminate. Similarly do the same for the patch panel side. Poor termination can cause poor speed. Sometimes, ur network adaptor or router will downgrade the speed to 100baseT with poor wiring. For proper cat6 termination, u should not untwist the pairs too much. No more than 1/2".

My case when I DIYed pull my network points, I had to re-terminate some point a couple of times too.

Dun use speedtest to test the network speed. becos it sometimes give u inconsistent results. Instead, try download and test using iperf. Iperf purely test the speed of your local LAN, so the unpredictable nature of the Internet is eliminated. If u managed to get close to 1G, then at least u know all your network points are ok.

Last edited by hawthorne; 16-03-2018 at 11:44 PM..
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #12

I'm on SingTel 1Gbps and I've been using the Nighthawk X6 for several years and every time there's a new firmware update, I'll update my X6. BUT I'll always end up reverting back to the several years old firmware V1.0.0.108_1.0.62 because the new ones can never get me this speed (see pic). V1.0.0.108_1.0.62 always gives me consistently excellent speed. I suggest you flash your firmware back to this old version.

Hope this helps.

Believe me

- Depeche Mode -
SpyderMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.