Need help in setting up my home wireless

Blackboxer

Reaction score
I have my Asus RT-AC68U connect to the Optic fiber modem in the living room but the wireless signal is not strong enough to reach my bedroom, so I decided to connect the Asus router to a TP-Link Powerline Adapter TL-PA4010P in the living room and in the room I have a TL-WPA281.

I have set both the Asus RT-AC68U and the TL-WPA281 with the same SSID and password so the my mobile devices can switch around.

The problem now is my mobile devices having problem switching between the 2 routes. I can see my mobile phone keep connecting to the weaker WIFI then disconnected and run on data plan then connect to the stronger WIFI and disconnected again and run on data plan and connect to the weaker WIFI again non stop when I am in the living room.

What have I possibly done wrong? Or what else should I do to stabilize the connection?

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Move the routers further apart. Neither is overwhelmingly strong enough where you are so you need to relocate them again.

Else use different ssid with them.

gwennliu

Reaction score
This is very common problem where different brand devices does not auto switch you to the strong route. Sometimes, even in same brand, you also don't get it.

I can only tell you what I did at home. May be you can serve as a reference.

1) I turned off the WiFi on my router.
2) I have 4x Apple Airport Express Wireless device. Each of them configure with the same SSID.
3) I use the Aztech Homeplug to reach these Apple Airport Express.

Once I have done so, I can use my iMac and see the Wireless status. When I am in Room 1, I connect to Airport#1, when I walk out the room, I can see from the Wifi status connect to Airport #2 and as I walk to Living Room, it connects to Airport #3 and so on. It auto switches to strongest Wifi AP.

One advise is don't buy those WiFi extender that comes with Power Homeplug adapter. I strongly believe that a Power Homeplug adapter is so small, so the processor inside should only do one thing, which is switching the ethernet over the power. It should not add on another WiFi layer on it.

Hope this help.

Blackboxer

Reaction score
I have now set different SSID but my notebook or mobile devices will not switch between the router and Homeplug, as long as they manage to connect to very minimum WIFI signal the devices will stick to the network.

Heard something about using same SSID but changing the IP Address of the last digit to 0 & 1 (eg: xxx.xxx.0.0 & xxx.xxx.0.1)

Anyone tried this method? Care to share more?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.