HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need Help: Singnet fibre, mio tv, apple airport express.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Need Help: Singnet fibre, mio tv, apple airport express.

Hi,

I need some help, am using Singnet fibre now.

Current setup is:
  • My ONT and Aztech 7002 are located at the living room. Reason being is I need a home telephone to be station down there.
  • From there, there is a very long cable connect to my mio tv box which is in my room.
  • My devices such as iPhone, iPad, MBP, Apple TV are connecting to Aztech 7002 by wireless.

But now I need to include a Apple Airport Express in my room as I need the airplay function to connect my devices to the speaker wirelessly.

As I only have a super long cat5 cable, therefore I can only use the cable to connect to the Airport Express and from there another short cable to connect to mio tv.
My others devices can connect to the Airport Express by wireless.

Am I able to do that? Cuz I afraid that my mio tv will not work if I do not connect directly to Aztech 7002 but instead connect it to the airport express.

If it is possible, what settings to i need to setup?

Thanks for help in adv!
VodkaPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #2

Hi,

I need some help, am using Singnet fibre now.

Current setup is:
  • My ONT and Aztech 7002 are located at the living room. Reason being is I need a home telephone to be station down there.
  • From there, there is a very long cable connect to my mio tv box which is in my room.
  • My devices such as iPhone, iPad, MBP, Apple TV are connecting to Aztech 7002 by wireless.

But now I need to include a Apple Airport Express in my room as I need the airplay function to connect my devices to the speaker wirelessly.

As I only have a super long cat5 cable, therefore I can only use the cable to connect to the Airport Express and from there another short cable to connect to mio tv.
My others devices can connect to the Airport Express by wireless.

Am I able to do that? Cuz I afraid that my mio tv will not work if I do not connect directly to Aztech 7002 but instead connect it to the airport express.

If it is possible, what settings to i need to setup?

Thanks for help in adv!
Get a 5 port switch. Connect the super long cat5 to switch, and switch to airport express, mio tv, mbp etc.

If you can, replace the super long cat5 with cat5e or cat6 cable for better performance.
stay8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

Get a 5 port switch. Connect the super long cat5 to switch, and switch to airport express, mio tv, mbp etc.

If you can, replace the super long cat5 with cat5e or cat6 cable for better performance.
it's a mus to include the 5 port switch? can't do with just airport express? cuz there is 2 port, one to connect to modem another to connect to any device.

any where i can get a super super long cat6 cable?
Old 31-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sim Lim Square

it's a mus to include the 5 port switch? can't do with just airport express? cuz there is 2 port, one to connect to modem another to connect to any device.

jtjt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Sim Lim Square
how much per meter?

anw, need more advices! guys thanks!
Old 31-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

my apologies, the airport express I know (old version) has only 1 port. Yea, no need to get switch in this case. Cheers.
Old 31-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

my apologies, the airport express I know (old version) has only 1 port. Yea, no need to get switch in this case. Cheers.
ic. thx for helping me to clarify.

but wat setting shld i do to aztech 7002 so that my mio tv can work if i connect it to the airport express?
Old 31-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #8

ic. thx for helping me to clarify.

but wat setting shld i do to aztech 7002 so that my mio tv can work if i connect it to the airport express?
Currently, your mio tv is connected to the aztech 7002 via the ethernet port right? If so, just need to setup the airport express as an AP (see link: Configuring an Apple AirPort Express as an access point of an existing network and plug the mio tv to the other port on the airport express (the one labeled '<->')
Old 31-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #9

Currently, your mio tv is connected to the aztech 7002 via the ethernet port right? If so, just need to setup the airport express as an AP (see link: Configuring an Apple AirPort Express as an access point of an existing network and plug the mio tv to the other port on the airport express (the one labeled '<->')
but under aztech 7002 settings, i dun need to do anything??
Old 01-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #10

but under aztech 7002 settings, i dun need to do anything??
Yes, nothing.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

jus curious, does anyone is using airport express with mio tv. lol
Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

jus curious, does anyone is using airport express with mio tv. lol
airport does not support iptv leh..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #13

airport does not support iptv leh..
care to explain?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #14

I did a little more digging and it seemed the setup for mio TV is different from normal IPTV. From what I read, it's on a separate VLAN from the home network and there are cases where bros here successfully connected a switch (or powerline adaptors) to it. The info however is dated more than 2 years ago and may/may not apply.

As the Airport express (AE) is to be configured as a Access Point, it may still work.

Your options:

Option 1: Call singtel.

Option 2:
a. Get a super long cat5e/6 wire for the new AE and setup as Access point.
b. Mio TV as per current setup (cat5 is sufficient)

End result: Mio as per existing setup, better network performances for all devices.

Option 3:
a. Get a pair of powerline adaptor for mio tv (router to powerline adaptor to moi tv), again from what I read, people has tested successfully.
b. Router to airport express through cat 5.

End result: mio tv may work (there are successful cases), better network performances for all devices.

OR

Vice versa - (powerline adaptor for Airport express, moi Tv remain the same).
Do note that the throughput of adaptor depends on the quality of the powerline. In the worst case scenario, your usual devices connect to your main router via WIFI and airport express solely for airplay.

End result: mio Tv as per normal, same performance for existing network devices and airplay should stream ok if quality of powerline is not too shabby.

Option 4:
a. Get Airport express and connect as wireless bridge (how to: AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode
b. Mio TV as per current setup.
Note: wireless bridge (i.e. router to AE via WIFI) will halve your wifi bandwidth and performance - meaning all your existing network devices will be affected.

=> mio tv as normal, network performance for existing devices affected.

Option 5:
a. Get a switch and AE (as per my original suggestion).

=> mio TV may work (there are successful cases), better network performance for existing devices.

Option 6:
a. Get AE only.

=> mio TV may work (no successful cases), better network performance for existing devices.

My suggestions:

1. relook at the criteria for airport express, there may be other alternatives for similar airplay functionality (such as apple TV) via wifi.
2. Call singtel for recommendations.
3. Get AE and test option 6.
a. if fail, test option 4 to check with network performance is acceptable.
b. If not acceptable, go for option 1.
c. If cannot cable for some reasons, research for a compatible pair of powerline adaptor option 3a/b or switch option 5 that work with mio tv.

Last edited by stay8899; 02-06-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #15

I did a little more digging and it seemed the setup for mio TV is different from normal IPTV. From what I read, it's on a separate VLAN from the home network and there are cases where bros here successfully connected a switch (or powerline adaptors) to it. The info however is dated more than 2 years ago and may/may not apply.

As the Airport express (AE) is to be configured as a Access Point, it may still work.

Your options:

Option 1: Call singtel.

Option 2:
a. Get a super long cat5e/6 wire for the new AE and setup as Access point.
b. Mio TV as per current setup (cat5 is sufficient)

End result: Mio as per existing setup, better network performances for all devices.

Option 3:
a. Get a pair of powerline adaptor for mio tv (router to powerline adaptor to moi tv), again from what I read, people has tested successfully.
b. Router to airport express through cat 5.

End result: mio tv may work (there are successful cases), better network performances for all devices.

OR

Vice versa - (powerline adaptor for Airport express, moi Tv remain the same).
Do note that the throughput of adaptor depends on the quality of the powerline. In the worst case scenario, your usual devices connect to your main router via WIFI and airport express solely for airplay.

End result: mio Tv as per normal, same performance for existing network devices and airplay should stream ok if quality of powerline is not too shabby.

Option 4:
a. Get Airport express and connect as wireless bridge (how to: AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode
b. Mio TV as per current setup.
Note: wireless bridge (i.e. router to AE via WIFI) will halve your wifi bandwidth and performance - meaning all your existing network devices will be affected.

=> mio tv as normal, network performance for existing devices affected.

Option 5:
a. Get a switch and AE (as per my original suggestion).

=> mio TV may work (there are successful cases), better network performance for existing devices.

Option 6:
a. Get AE only.

=> mio TV may work (no successful cases), better network performance for existing devices.

My suggestions:

1. relook at the criteria for airport express, there may be other alternatives for similar airplay functionality (such as apple TV) via wifi.
2. Call singtel for recommendations.
3. Get AE and test option 6.
a. if fail, test option 4 to check with network performance is acceptable.
b. If not acceptable, go for option 1.
c. If cannot cable for some reasons, research for a compatible pair of powerline adaptor option 3a/b or switch option 5 that work with mio tv.
wah, super thx for ur gd info!

any recommendation on a switch? maybe 5 ports or less.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.