HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need new wifi adapter for high packet rate gaming.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dryteletubby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Need new wifi adapter for high packet rate gaming.

Right now using the archer T4U normal gaming is fine. but when stuff like 30man raids happening in world of warcraft the problem occurs so it's definitely bottleneck on the adapter not able to handle high number of packets.

Cost not an issue, looking for high end ones.
Phen8210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #2

You seem convinced is your WiFi adapter fault.
Normal web browsing will tax your WiFi adapter more than gaming.

Test your game with ethernet. If problem persist you can rule out the adapter.

Right now using the archer T4U normal gaming is fine. but when stuff like 30man raids happening in world of warcraft the problem occurs so it's definitely bottleneck on the adapter not able to handle high number of packets.

Cost not an issue, looking for high end ones.

Last edited by dryteletubby; 30-03-2018 at 09:30 PM..
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Nope, normal web browsing is not even comparable to when you are going for 30man raids in wow.. packet rate wise.. no idea why would you make that statement, quite stunned.
Old 30-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #4

Nope, normal web browsing is not even comparable to when you are going for 30man raids in wow.. packet rate wise.. no idea why would you make that statement, quite stunned.
Does your router have traffic logs? Compare the bandwidth used when playing wow or when streaming videos and see which one use more data.

If you only experience problems under "intensive" gaming then I guess your pc at its limit.

WiFi is a half duplex transmission and not conducive for gaming.

Packet loss can also be a reason for what you are currently experiencing.

If you change WiFi adapters don't be surprised that you still have problems with wow

Last edited by dryteletubby; 30-03-2018 at 10:05 PM..
Old 30-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Does your router have traffic logs? Compare the bandwidth used when playing wow or when streaming videos and see which one use more data.

If you only experience problems under "intensive" gaming then I guess your pc at its limit.

WiFi is a half duplex transmission and not conducive for gaming.

Packet loss can also be a reason for what you are currently experiencing.

If you change WiFi adapters don't be surprised that you still have problems with wow
Yes, as stated in my OP.. You finally got it.

It doesn't happen when i am using Ethernet.. i was wondering if a more powerful adapter would resolve the issue because it's really hard to find any resources out there that have done in-depth comparisons between wi-fi adapters..

Of course a higher end one can give me higher bandwidth and but that's not the factor i am worried about.
Old 30-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #6

Yes, as stated in my OP.. You finally got it.

It doesn't happen when i am using Ethernet.. i was wondering if a more powerful adapter would resolve the issue because it's really hard to find any resources out there that have done in-depth comparisons between wi-fi adapters..

Of course a higher end one can give me higher bandwidth and but that's not the factor i am worried about.
Adapter not being able to handle high number of packets≠ packet loss.

Packet loss can be due to interference poor signal etc.

And unfortunately this is the limitations of WiFi. No multi antenna RGB lights adapter will overcome this.
-Grift- likes this.
Old 30-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #7
Master Member

Router is also important to consider.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Adapter not being able to handle high number of packets≠ packet loss.
Yes, it does equal.. if the device performance can't keep up with the traffic, it's going to result in packet loss, so i am not sure why you are saying its not equal.

If you could only eat 3 apples in a minute.. and you are required to eat 10 apples in a minute, you will have leftovers and need more time to complete eating 10 apples.. it's the same as packet loss.. you will need more time to resend the packets.

Packet loss can be due to interference poor signal etc.
And unfortunately this is the limitations of WiFi. No multi antenna RGB lights adapter will overcome this.
Haha, My signal strength is pretty good, nowadays the wi-fi adapters are so powerful.. a budget external adapter like the one i have ($40) can give you very good signal strength and bandwidth. Of course, signal strength and interference are the important factors to rectify for any wireless systems first.

Adapters with external antennas do give better signal strength than ones which do not, if you are behind many walls/rooms and such.. multi antenna adapters does help out on signal strength. RGB stuff obviously do not haha.

Last edited by Phen8210; 31-03-2018 at 12:02 AM..
Old 31-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #9

Yes, it does equal..

Considered the SNR for your environment?
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 12:59 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Considered the SNR for your environment?
Yes of course, a Bad SNR would definitely have to be rectified first because it would have caused many more issues other than the particular one that i stated, but it doesn't seem that way.

If i wanna describe 30 man raiding activity.. it can crash those 2wire bla bla routers that was provided by singtel during the adsl times which actually happened to me in the past.. like 10 years ago hahaha..
Old 31-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #11

Yes, it does equal.. if the device performance can't keep up with the traffic, it's going to result in packet loss, so i am not sure why you are saying its not equal.

Haha, My signal strength is pretty good, nowadays the wi-fi adapters are so powerful.. a budget external adapter like the one i have ($40) can give you very good signal strength and bandwidth. Of course, signal strength and interference are the important factors to rectify for any wireless systems first.

Adapters with external antennas do give better signal strength than ones which do not, if you are behind many walls/rooms and such.. multi antenna adapters does help out on signal strength. RGB stuff obviously do not haha.
I checked wow forums and it shows wow uses the TCP protocol like most other web traffic. TCP provides an error checking between 2 host. If an error was detected the data packet is re-transmitted. You won't experience packet loss even on bad WiFi or slow internet etc. What you are probably experiencing is probably a poor (WiFi) connection where your pc has to constantly resend the same data packet causing "lag". Only faster paced games or live video or voice streaming uses the UDP protocol which is a straight through non error checking communication method.

As I said before WiFi depends on many factors. One of those is the interference in WiFi airspace especially on 2.4 GHz channel. You may want to download a phone app like this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.ubnt.usurvey

Which can show you visually other WiFi signals that may overlap and cause interference with yours. However it does not show interference from non WiFi sources like cordless phones remote control devices etc.

Last edited by dryteletubby; 31-03-2018 at 10:18 AM..
Old 31-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Web browsing > online gaming ???
Old 31-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes of course, a Bad SNR would definitely have to be rectified first because it would have caused many more issues other than the particular one that i stated, but it doesn't seem that way.

If i wanna describe 30 man raiding activity.. it can crash those 2wire bla bla routers that was provided by singtel during the adsl times which actually happened to me in the past.. like 10 years ago hahaha..
TS, what are your pings like ? Over what frequency, 2.4 or 5.0 ?
Ideally, no one should do online gaming over WiFi.

But if you have no option for wired lan, maybe can I suggest a WiFi media bridge since you mention WiFi signal strength is not an issue.

Last edited by xonix; 31-03-2018 at 11:26 AM..
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #14

Web browsing > online gaming ???
I admit my phrasing may be too vague. multiplayer games depend on latency more than speed, however from what i can gather, 1 hour of CSGO only used about 20MB of data. Thats tiny compared to other web traffic
Old 31-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

TS, what are your pings like ? Over what frequency, 2.4 or 5.0 ?
Ideally, no one should do online gaming over WiFi.

But if you have no option for wired lan, maybe can I suggest a WiFi media bridge since you mention WiFi signal strength is not an issue.
My pings are 5-15 to local servers, will look into your suggestion thank you.

Edit: Seems like workable.. great approach.

Last edited by Phen8210; 31-03-2018 at 08:30 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.