www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   Need Recommendation (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/need-recommendation-6348742.html)

evoram 02-08-2020 08:31 AM

Need Recommendation
 
Hi guys,thank you in advance as i would like some recommendation... so this is my current setup.
I am using a Netear Orbi RBK40. The router in db box and one satellite in Master room. Right now i have pretty good signal around the home except for bedroom 3 where my desktop is. My desktop is currently wired lan back to router. But my laptops face signal drops when i close the door. Like work application actually loads slower or the laptop shows no wifi at times.

Am looking to invest in wifi 6.
Should i upgrade to orbi 852? Would that solve the signal drops? or do i need to get one router and 2 satellites meaning rbk853. I am also thinking if i should change to an all asus setup using the ai mesh. bedroom 2 is tenant room, so i cant place any satellite there.
Have plans to get a NAS and leave it in the store where there is also a lan point.
Has anyone here used rbk852?

https://i.imgur.com/3di8OMz.png

Apex 02-08-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoram (Post 128849962)
Hi guys, so this is my current setup.
I am using a Netear Orbi RBK40. The router in db box and one satellite in Master room. Right now i have pretty good signal around the home except for bedroom 3 where my desktop is. My desktop is currently wired lan back to router. But my laptops face signal drops when i close the door. Like work application actually loads slower or the laptop shows no wifi at times.

Am looking to invest in wifi 6.
Should i upgrade to orbi 852? Would that solve the signal drops? or do i need to get one router and 2 satellites? I am also thinking if i should change to an all asus setup using the ai mesh. bedroom 2 is tenant room, so i cant place any satellite there.
Have plans to get a NAS and leave it in the store where there is also a lan point.

https://i.imgur.com/3di8OMz.png


1. You can do a test by moving the main orbi out of the DB box and see if this helps to improve your wifi speed in Room 3.

2. Add another Orbi RBK40 satellite in room 3.

3. get a Xiaomi AX router (if you can okey with chinese) as a AP in Room 3 (cheapest option).

- than all device in room 3 will connect to this AP.
- Configure the router (can be any brand don't need to be xiaomi) as AP/bridge mode (default usually router mode).

Halo green 02-08-2020 09:25 AM

my flat layout is similar to yours. Currently using Orbi rbk50. No issues with signals or speed.
Get another rbs50

evoram 02-08-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halo green (Post 128850559)
my flat layout is similar to yours. Currently using Orbi rbk50. No issues with signals or speed.
Get another rbs50

Thank you for the info. Where have you placed your router and satellite?

Halo green 02-08-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoram (Post 128851041)
Thank you for the info. Where have you placed your router and satellite?

same as your placement.
u go buy another rbs50, put in your master bedroom, the current satellite put in bedroom 3

ahsiao80 02-08-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoram (Post 128849962)
Hi guys,thank you in advance as i would like some recommendation... so this is my current setup.
I am using a Netear Orbi RBK40. The router in db box and one satellite in Master room. Right now i have pretty good signal around the home except for bedroom 3 where my desktop is. My desktop is currently wired lan back to router. But my laptops face signal drops when i close the door. Like work application actually loads slower or the laptop shows no wifi at times.

Am looking to invest in wifi 6.
Should i upgrade to orbi 852? Would that solve the signal drops? or do i need to get one router and 2 satellites meaning rbk853. I am also thinking if i should change to an all asus setup using the ai mesh. bedroom 2 is tenant room, so i cant place any satellite there.
Have plans to get a NAS and leave it in the store where there is also a lan point.
Has anyone here used rbk852?

https://i.imgur.com/3di8OMz.png

I assume your house is 4 room as it's layout is pretty similar to mine.

Anyway currently i am also using the Orbi RBK50 like others here and i am getting approx 500+ Mbps at my furthest room on 5Ghz. What i can recommend is instead of leaving your router in the DB box, plug the lan cable from your ONT to the port that connects to your living room, leave your router there and shift the satellite nearer to your MBR door if there is a power outlet there.

However can check why can't you leave your satellite in bedroom 2 even though there is tenant there? Because it will be a win-win solution for both since can get good internet speed and just need to remind them not to turn off the satellite :s12:

Repsol_2 02-08-2020 11:51 AM

Hmmm. Setup not optimum.

st3ven 02-08-2020 12:07 PM

Buy a cheap router (wifi off) put inside the DB box

Move the main node of Orbi to bedroom 3 or living room and set as AP mode

So ONT - Cheap Router (Wifi off) - Orbi 1 and 2


evoram 02-08-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsiao80 (Post 128852955)
I assume your house is 4 room as it's layout is pretty similar to mine.

Anyway currently i am also using the Orbi RBK50 like others here and i am getting approx 500+ Mbps at my furthest room on 5Ghz. What i can recommend is instead of leaving your router in the DB box, plug the lan cable from your ONT to the port that connects to your living room, leave your router there and shift the satellite nearer to your MBR door if there is a power outlet there.

However can check why can't you leave your satellite in bedroom 2 even though there is tenant there? Because it will be a win-win solution for both since can get good internet speed and just need to remind them not to turn off the satellite :s12:

We dont want to leave anything of ours in the tenant room. Just for peace of mind so i cant blame the tenant if anything happens to it. But thank you for the suggestion


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.