Need recommendations after terrible Asus Rt-ac88u experience

D3st1nY85

Reaction score
Been suffering so much using asus rt-ac88u for the past 2-3 years. always must use outdated firmware. latest firmware always have issue with disappearing 5GHz or unstable connection.
Even the Dlink free starhub router works more reliable than that asus junk.
Anyone can recommend me a reliable router for 1Gbps network to play CS GO?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Choose a router form ubiquiti, mikrotik or turn a old pc into a pfsense router.

A mikrotik hap ac2 will easily be more powerful and full featured than any consumer grade router.

Ubiquiti keeps their router, switch, and WiFi ap as seperate device. This is better for future upgrades.

A pfsense system will easily be several times more powerful than any router you can buy in a store. With pfsense you can use your existing ac88u as an access point

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like you I went through hell with Linksys. I am using a Netgear XR500 and it's absolutely a beast. Zero drops on WiFi and you can configure TCP and UDP ports for CS:GO that would be prioritized as high priority traffic. I can guide you the settings if you keen. Router can get around 280 brand new on Carousell.

Your usage seems only for gaming and good WiFi so this would be as simple as it can get.

Hope this helps...

squarepipe

Reaction score
Like you I went through hell with Linksys. I am using a Netgear XR500 and it's absolutely a beast. Zero drops on WiFi and you can configure TCP and UDP ports for CS:GO that would be prioritized as high priority traffic. I can guide you the settings if you keen. Router can get around 280 brand new on Carousell.

Your usage seems only for gaming and good WiFi so this would be as simple as it can get.

Hope this helps...

Ah the old gaming router delusion.

It’s a gimmick. A router is a router. Being designed “for gaming” means nothing. Pfsense running on a first gen i3 has way more horsepower than any “gaming router”.

Take your cash and get a decent wired router and a separate access point and you will have spent less money and gotten a better product.

Obligatory mention of ubiquiti USG & APs (lite, pro,nano HD)

Also, stick to Ethernet when gaming. Don’t game over WiFi.

I don't mean it to be personal. I just have an irrational hatred for "gaming routers"

Last edited:

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah the old gaming router delusion.

It’s a gimmick. A router is a router. Being designed “for gaming” means nothing. Pfsense running on a first gen i3 has way more horsepower than any “gaming router”.

Take your cash and get a decent wired router and a separate access point and you will have spent less money and gotten a better product.

Obligatory mention of ubiquiti USG & APs (lite, pro,nano HD)

Also, stick to Ethernet when gaming. Don’t game over WiFi.

I don't mean it to be personal. I just have an irrational hatred for "gaming routers"

I never recommended the router because it's a gaming router. I recommended it because I've used it for 6 months now and it's a trouble free router out of the box. Of course gaming routers are mostly gimmick but the XR500 works as far as prioritizing gaming traffic is concerned. It's a click and set UI in that sense. Any router can do that but it's far more complex.

Not many know how to setup pfense and well versed in networking like myself. The Netgear is the easiest one to setup and configure so far and it simply works.

I game competitively only so only wired for me. WiFi has too much spikes if you're playing FPS competitively.

Don't worry none taken and I've seen how **** gaming routers can be with what they market and what they actually deliver.

lcheowl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been suffering so much using asus rt-ac88u for the past 2-3 years. always must use outdated firmware. latest firmware always have issue with disappearing 5GHz or unstable connection.
Even the Dlink free starhub router works more reliable than that asus junk.
Anyone can recommend me a reliable router for 1Gbps network to play CS GO?

for games, best is wired...

wifi at present is good enough for watching movies...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.