www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   Need some advice on home internet configuration (LAN point) (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/need-some-advice-home-internet-configuration-lan-point-6111323.html)

jyxzor 11-09-2019 11:42 PM

Need some advice on home internet configuration (LAN point)

As the title says, I'm intending to optimize the internet connection in my house.

It's a 3 storey landed unit, approximately 15 years old, with the termination point (and modem / router adjacent to it) on the ground floor. Currently using Viewqwest as my Fiber ISP. My router is pretty decent, but the signal in my room on the 3rd floor with the door closed is simply terrible.

I'm exploring the possibility of changing RJ11 socket/faceplate in my room with an RJ45 LAN socket/faceplate, then connecting another router to it, to serve the upper floors of my house.

My issue is that I don't know if I can simply do the faceplate swap, as I have no idea what my internal house (behind walls) wiring is like. I'm hesitant to remove the faceplate because it isn't those screw-in type, but rather the kind that needs to be messily and permanently 'hacked out'.

So I went to the telephone box in my storeroom and took a picture of the wiring...

https://imgur.com/a/Tm8FZ7j

Can anyone advise if this photo is enough to infer if the cabling is Cat5e/6, or the Cat3 type incompatible with data transfer (ie. only telephone)? Further on, can anyone advise on what course of action I should take from here?

Mesh networking (e.g. Google Wifi) would preferably be my last option. Any help will be welcome!

giraffey 12-09-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyxzor (Post 122714063)
As the title says, I'm intending to optimize the internet connection in my house.

It's a 3 storey landed unit, approximately 15 years old, with the termination point (and modem / router adjacent to it) on the ground floor. Currently using Viewqwest as my Fiber ISP. My router is pretty decent, but the signal in my room on the 3rd floor with the door closed is simply terrible.

I'm exploring the possibility of changing RJ11 socket/faceplate in my room with an RJ45 LAN socket/faceplate, then connecting another router to it, to serve the upper floors of my house.

My issue is that I don't know if I can simply do the faceplate swap, as I have no idea what my internal house (behind walls) wiring is like. I'm hesitant to remove the faceplate because it isn't those screw-in type, but rather the kind that needs to be messily and permanently 'hacked out'.

So I went to the telephone box in my storeroom and took a picture of the wiring...

https://imgur.com/a/Tm8FZ7j

Can anyone advise if this photo is enough to infer if the cabling is Cat5e/6, or the Cat3 type incompatible with data transfer (ie. only telephone)? Further on, can anyone advise on what course of action I should take from here?

Mesh networking (e.g. Google Wifi) would preferably be my last option. Any help will be welcome!

For your case, it seems it cant be converted with a change of faceplates as dont seem to be Cat 5/6 cables. You can only lay new cables, or use wifi mesh & repeaters to extend the coverage.

xonix 12-09-2019 08:25 AM

Nope, it doesn't seem like you will be able to convert the existing cables.

uncle_josh 12-09-2019 01:50 PM

You must use a TIA/EIA wiring standard, either TIA/EIA T568A (normally used for home networking) or TIA/EIA T568B (usually used in business networking).

Sent from 今天工作不努力, 明天努力找工作 using GAGT

jyxzor 13-09-2019 01:33 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

It seems like my options are kinda narrowed to just one -- mesh networking it is.