HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need some advice on home internet configuration (LAN point)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #1

Need some advice on home internet configuration (LAN point)

As the title says, I'm intending to optimize the internet connection in my house.

It's a 3 storey landed unit, approximately 15 years old, with the termination point (and modem / router adjacent to it) on the ground floor. Currently using Viewqwest as my Fiber ISP. My router is pretty decent, but the signal in my room on the 3rd floor with the door closed is simply terrible.

I'm exploring the possibility of changing RJ11 socket/faceplate in my room with an RJ45 LAN socket/faceplate, then connecting another router to it, to serve the upper floors of my house.

My issue is that I don't know if I can simply do the faceplate swap, as I have no idea what my internal house (behind walls) wiring is like. I'm hesitant to remove the faceplate because it isn't those screw-in type, but rather the kind that needs to be messily and permanently 'hacked out'.

So I went to the telephone box in my storeroom and took a picture of the wiring...

https://imgur.com/a/Tm8FZ7j

Can anyone advise if this photo is enough to infer if the cabling is Cat5e/6, or the Cat3 type incompatible with data transfer (ie. only telephone)? Further on, can anyone advise on what course of action I should take from here?

Mesh networking (e.g. Google Wifi) would preferably be my last option. Any help will be welcome!
jyxzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

As the title says, I'm intending to optimize the internet connection in my house.

It's a 3 storey landed unit, approximately 15 years old, with the termination point (and modem / router adjacent to it) on the ground floor. Currently using Viewqwest as my Fiber ISP. My router is pretty decent, but the signal in my room on the 3rd floor with the door closed is simply terrible.

I'm exploring the possibility of changing RJ11 socket/faceplate in my room with an RJ45 LAN socket/faceplate, then connecting another router to it, to serve the upper floors of my house.

My issue is that I don't know if I can simply do the faceplate swap, as I have no idea what my internal house (behind walls) wiring is like. I'm hesitant to remove the faceplate because it isn't those screw-in type, but rather the kind that needs to be messily and permanently 'hacked out'.

So I went to the telephone box in my storeroom and took a picture of the wiring...

https://imgur.com/a/Tm8FZ7j

Can anyone advise if this photo is enough to infer if the cabling is Cat5e/6, or the Cat3 type incompatible with data transfer (ie. only telephone)? Further on, can anyone advise on what course of action I should take from here?

Mesh networking (e.g. Google Wifi) would preferably be my last option. Any help will be welcome!
For your case, it seems it cant be converted with a change of faceplates as dont seem to be Cat 5/6 cables. You can only lay new cables, or use wifi mesh & repeaters to extend the coverage.
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Nope, it doesn't seem like you will be able to convert the existing cables.
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #4

You must use a TIA/EIA wiring standard, either TIA/EIA T568A (normally used for home networking) or TIA/EIA T568B (usually used in business networking).

Sent from 今天工作不努力, 明天努力找工作 using GAGT
uncle_josh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replies!

It seems like my options are kinda narrowed to just one -- mesh networking it is.
jyxzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.