Networking Help

strigon009

Reaction score
I am in a room where wifi is really bad. I'm thinking if there is a device that will capture the wifi and convert into ethernet and wire into my PC . Im getting 300mbps down /500mbps up in the corridor while im getting only 50 mbps both up and down and frequent drop in connection.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am in a room where wifi is really bad. I'm thinking if there is a device that will capture the wifi and convert into ethernet and wire into my PC . Im getting 300mbps down /500mbps up in the corridor while im getting only 50 mbps both up and down and frequent drop in connection.

mb_0.jpg

Tiger9119

Reaction score

If the wiring in the house is not too old, can use homeplug with wifi from TP-Link or others.

-Grift-

Reaction score
Sorry I didnt mean powerline adapters. Because the area doesn't have a power plug, I was hoping if the device can be powered over ethernet. So one long cable only

If you are gonna run a single ethernet cable anyways why not just get a cheap second router to run in AP mode? That way you can have fast wifi where ever you place it and like 4x ethernet ports for PC etc.

Allanlee82

Reaction score
Even if u do that,it will just convert the 50 Mbps to wire. Best option is to have something along the corridor and another receiver at the end. So maybe can consider a mesh or depending on your current router,if Asus,can check if it support aimesh

Sent from OnePlus GM1910 using GAGT

strigon009

Reaction score
You should listen to xonix and use his solution (post #3 above). Just go carousell and get any used router (868l at $10, or asus 1200g+ at $15 - brand new at $30), and turn the router into a wireless bridge or repeater (using 5GHZ signal), then connect the 5m lan cable from the 868l/asus (at door) to your pc, and you won't have issue getting 300Mbps.

I used this setup for a few months already, getting 300Mbps-450Mbps, depending on whether main/used routers are 2x2 or 3x3.
Those need a power outlet nearby. Got those with POE? Power over ethernet cable?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.