New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

PC-User

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone who's got the data port conversion done please share the details and cost here later on...

Hua_Hui

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gonna have it done in 2 weeks time. Conversion of 3 ports into data points. The one at living room is data ready so i will convert the rest of my 3 rooms. Total damage: $90 - cover labour to setup and supply of cat 6 cables

katata

Reaction score
Ah well, for me I have a powerline wifi already, so its pretty good, but it wont hit the high speeds > 100mbps I think. So I want a direct connection, especially if upgrading to 1gbps

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seriously, if going to renovate the place, just do structured cabling and connect your laptop/PC direct to the RJ45 port. Much faster than wifi.

Unless of course its your mobile phone not being able to get wifi coverage that you are worried about.

nas_1986

Reaction score
Nowadays not only BTO can have data point conversion in the rooms, some I heard Condo also can. If buying landed property, good to plan with contractor or engage a network professional for advise. New house layout many walls for wifi to pass through. Best result is do data point and put router in the bedroom.

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
may i check with u all ar.

i just move into my own bto 3 room flat this year.

i am the only internet user.

currently on starhub 100mbps cable, looking to upgrade to 500mbps or 1gbps as contract over for a long time already.

the router cum modem is in my room plug via cable point

My open net tp box in nxt to the main door ( utility box) and i hope i can skip the part where converting ur tel port into lan port (cos some of the furnishing is blocking it and i dont intend to move it) and i do need wifi access in my room for my devices like mobile and tablet.

if i sign up for 1gbps. i would be using power line ( 1gbps each a pair) to link it into my room then to my desktop. does it sound abit bobo if i link to my desktop le and using 2nd port to link to a router?

cos the powerline (with wifi) i saw is mostly 500mbps (500mbps and 300mbps wifi)

cos if i sign up 1gbps and only use half of i. abit over kill?

cos now no telco offer 500mbps (singnet is 69/90 with mio tv. starhub is dual broadband 500mpbs fibre and 100 mbps cable)

any advice on how should i set up to get worth it conection =)

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

currently on starhub 100mbps cable, looking to upgrade to 500mbps or 1gbps as contract over for a long time already.

My open net tp box in nxt to the main door ( utility box) and i hope i can skip the part where converting ur tel port into lan port (cos some of the furnishing is blocking it and i dont intend to move it) and i do need wifi access in my room for my devices like mobile and tablet.

if i sign up for 1gbps. i would be using power line ( 1gbps each a pair) to link it into my room then to my desktop. does it sound abit bobo if i link to my desktop le and using 2nd port to link to a router?

cos the powerline (with wifi) i saw is mostly 500mbps (500mbps and 300mbps wifi)

cos now no telco offer 500mbps (singnet is 69/90 with mio tv. starhub is dual broadband 500mpbs fibre and 100 mbps cable)

home plugs should only be used as a last last final resort. You may find it promising when manufacturers give u good numbers on speed advertised on the box, but they are actually quite unreliable in real life use.

shall not bomb u with technicalities but i can assure you, you will never be able to reach the advertised speed, not even near half of the advertised speed if more and more of your neighbours are using home plugs..

$69.90 for singtel 500mbps is WITHOUT singtel tv. look carefully please.

katata

Reaction score

I'm currently using powerline and I must say, you really need to check if your circuity is ok. You should look into Sineoji plugs as they can generally achieve about 400 - 500 mbps from what I've been reading.

Link Here

Your homeplugs shouldnt be near too many electrical appliances too as it can affect connectivity. So, it fluctuates quite a bit, from your own home electrical wiring, to neighbours electrical usage, etc.

It's decent, you dont have to deal with wiring and contractors and stuff, and its better than wifi especially if you are far from the router. The sineoji thread provides free consultation, they will come to your house and find the optimal power plugs and then you can decide whether or not to purchase.

Like what Renfred said, Sineoji's homeplugs are rated at 1800bbps. But you wont hit that speed. Highest I've seen after reading 40 pages of the thread is 550mbps

Last edited:

PitBull

Reaction score

You can connect this way:

TP (Utility box)->ONT (Utility box)->Homeplug (Utility box)->Homplug(Room)->Wireless Router WAN (Room).

Then Wireless Router LAN (Room)->PC (Room).

Then the router can also provide wifi for your mobile and tablet devices.

katata

Reaction score

TP (Utility box)->ONT (Utility box)->Homeplug (Utility box)->Homplug(Room)->Wireless Router WAN (Room).

That works, although you wont be getting the full speed because it goes through the powerline first.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

like what moonshine said, the connection in red will be a severe bottle neck.

unless someone is subscribing low fibre speed, if not the home plugs will not be able to handle higher speeds... performance is also dependent on how many active home plugs are in the block, and how heavy is the pipeline being used..

PitBull

Reaction score
From what I understood from Bardiel's requirement, the room is where internet activities will occur.

If TP (Utility box)->ONT (Utility box)->Router WAN (Utility box)-> Router LAN(Utility box)->Homeplug (Utility box)->Homeplug(Room)->AP with LAN port(Room) still the same and Bardiel will need to buy 1 more AP.

I agree that using Homeplug will not benefit from 1Gbps plan. Maybe Bardiel can consider 300mbps or 500mbps plan.

katata

Reaction score
From what I understood from Bardiel's requirement, the room is where internet activities will occur.

If TP (Utility box)->ONT (Utility box)->Router WAN (Utility box)-> Router LAN(Utility box)->Homeplug (Utility box)->Homeplug(Room)->AP with LAN port(Room) still the same and Bardiel will need to buy 1 more AP.

I agree that using Homeplug will not benefit from 1Gbps plan. Maybe Bardiel can consider 300mbps or 500mbps plan.

Haha not saying you la bro, just making sure Bardiel takes note. Although I've seen some people with good luck that the Sineoji hits 500mbps for 500mbps singtel fibre.

PitBull

Reaction score
Haha not saying you la bro, just making sure Bardiel takes note. Although I've seen some people with good luck that the Sineoji hits 500mbps for 500mbps singtel fibre.

I only managed to get 400+mbps on my singtel 1gbps fibre using homeplug.

nas_1986

Reaction score
home plugs should only be used as a last last final resort. You may find it promising when manufacturers give u good numbers on speed advertised on the box, but they are actually quite unreliable in real life use.

shall not bomb u with technicalities but i can assure you, you will never be able to reach the advertised speed, not even near half of the advertised speed if more and more of your neighbours are using home plugs..

$69.90 for singtel 500mbps is WITHOUT singtel tv. look carefully please.

You are right. Home plugs should be treated as a last resort solution. 3 room BTO is best to do telephone to data point conversion. Reason is very simple. Data point doesn't spoil easily like home plugs. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.